Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300e
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched everywhere before asking this.
I removed my dash cluster to check on the non-working odometer...yes, the little gear was busted. Anyways...I put everything back together and now my central locking system is not locking/unlocking the doors. The driver and passenger door will still unlock/lock with the key, but the auto locks will not. They were working this morning.
What is behind the cluster or around the steering column that I may have messed up?

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,389 Posts
interesting...i didnt know those components were connected...

with my car, i also have the busted odometer...i havent gotten to it yet

but with my locks, recently, I use a viper alarm system, and the drivers lock will not go up or down, but the alarm will still go on...so i have to manually unlock and lock the car...but whats wierd is if u press lock or unlock on the key fob, u can still hear the actuators and stuff work, but none of the locks go up or down

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,299 Posts
Hmm, theres no connection between the cluster and the locks. Is there perhaps a vacuum line which you have dislodged? Thats all you can try. There are vacuum connections around there for stuff, usually plugged in pretty tight though.
Vdub you must also have a vacuum line unplugged somewhere - how do you mean the actuators work, is there noise from the doors or just the boot central locking pump?

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,389 Posts
maybe my terminology is wrong but heres what happens

when i press the key fob, nothing happens but i do hear the mechanism move as if something happens

see when i set up my viper alarm, they set it up so the drivers door would go up and down quick, then the remaining three doors and trunk will follow in there sequential pattern

i think...but im not sure...but i thinkwhen i was having my window go down that something inside the door may have fallen....not sure what...if it had to do with the alarm set up...

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,299 Posts
Yeah sounds like you need to take your door card off and see whats amiss.. Its not very complex in there so you should be able to spot anything that isnt attached.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,981 Posts
The door locks work with a electrical and a vacuum switch.
A multi tester will show whether both still work.
The vacuum pump is located in the spare wheel well's far right corner.
You may have a vac leak.
The electrical as well as vacuum diagram can be found in the forum archive.
Before trying to remove the door lock, make sure to read up on the 'how to.'
The rotating T pin at the end of the lock is cast metal, and can break fairly easy.
A competent locksmith replaced mine with wrecking yard bits, and adapted it to my keys. Mercedes only sells the complete lock.
Please make sure to read Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Announcements in Forum : W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Couple of things to try:

1. open the trunk, lock either front door with the key, and run around back. Do you hear the vacuum pump running? It's pretty obvious with the trunk open.
2. sit in the car and lock the drivers side door. Do you hear the pump running? If so, lean around and listen more carefully (with the doors and windows closed to make it quiet). Do you hear any hissing like air escaping?

I have a vacuum connection that is located on the passenger side footwell (along the doorsill but inside the car) that comes apart every once in while (old rubber). When that happens, the pump will run and I can actually here it hissing inside the car. That's how I found it the first time. Just plugged it back together and "plunk", all the door locks went down.

If you can't hear the pump running, check fuses. You could also have broken the micro switch that the the t-pin Tuetone describes above contacts. My guess though, vacuum connection broke somewhere since it does not work from either front door.

·
Registered
1988 300e
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Son of a -

It was a fuse....*IDIOT!*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts