Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C280
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone might have the answer to a strange problem I'm having with my '96 C280. About 5 years ago, the red/green flashing lights on the rear view mirror stopped working completely. I took my car to the local dealer, hoping that it might be something simple like a bad remote or dead remote battery. The service advisor called me back and said that my entire central locking system would need to be replaced, and she quoted me some outrageous price like $800, not counting labor charges. I was not willing to pay such a high price and declined. When I showed up to pick up my car from the dealer, amazingly...the locking system was working again! I never mentioned anything to the dealership, as I was just glad to have the issue resolved. Things were fine for a few years and then the same thing happened about a year ago....lights stopped working completely again, but magically started working a couple weeks later. Last week, the same thing happened yet again....no red/green lights at all. So far, it has not magically repaired itself like before, but I still have hope. Just wondering if anyone knows what in the world could be the cause of this? It obviously can't be the fuses or else it would never start working again on it's own. I also ruled out the remote control batteries, which were changed out less than 3 months ago.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1996 C280 Sport
321 Posts
Sounds like my issue..... plus my keys dont work. The buttons dont click when you push them down...... except I was never able to see them come on again. Maybe your rearview mirror/dome light housing are bad. I getting a buzzing sound to from the dome light.

Have you heard of anything like that happening ???
Maybe it has something to do with the Central locking system ??

Hope someone can answer this better than me !! ")

·
Registered
1996 C280
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

My keys still work manually, the only thing that isn't working is the locking system using the remote. I can still open/lock the doors manually, drive the car, etc. There is no buzzing sound that I'm aware of either. Thanks for the reply, though.

Anyone else have any input? This is driving my nuts. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts