Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I am new to the forum. I got some problem with the central locking on my w221 S-class.

Every morning I have to use the key blade to open the driver's door, start the engine then the remote control start to work. Then it will be fine for the day. Next morning, same story again.

Had it checked by garage, they reckon its the CENTRAL GATEWAY has failed. But I just wondering,

• Do they use vacuum to operate the locking mechanism, same as the old w124 w123 series? If so, could it be a vacuum leak somewhere?

• Is it the same as current or last gen E-class?
Thanks in advance.

Tony

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
doesnt make sense when you say you start the car and the remote starts to work? do you mean that opening the driver door with the remote works again for the rest of the day???????? does this issue happen on the passenger door????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

Once the car been started, then you can use the remote to lock and unlock the car for the rest of the day.

Just had another thought, could it be the battery in the keyfob loss charge overnight?

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
well like i asked before is it only the driver door this happens on or do all of the doors not open after sitting overnight. to me sounds like a systems battery issue (main battery in your car). your car has 2 batteries, one battery in the front for starting the car and the main battery in the rear which is used for main vehicle power. if that battery voltage is too low the locks wont work, could have a draw or just a battery that needs to be replaced. the key batteries either are good, bad or going bad. the vehicle starting has no effect on the key batteries, they arent charged by the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that keyfob battery out of the question then.

The battery in the boot has been replaced.

All doors wont open, not just the driver door after sitting overnight. But this might be the setting. I will try change the setting in the menu andtry again.

What about vacuum pump for central locking?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Streetglower is on the right track and I thought the same when reading this. The front battery is OK and starts your engine fine but the rear battery which also helps with central locking is weak. Once the engine is running the rear battery is receiving charge and therefore works OK but overnight it is loosing the charge.

·
Registered
Volvo S80, E550 4Matic
239 Posts
Since we are talking about batteries, in the event that the main battery that starts the engines goes out, can the car redirect energy from the battery in the trunk to start the car? Are there any warnings before the battery that starts the engine goes bad?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your input, The garage think the central gateway drains the battery, but cannot confirm this. Is there anyway to test it?

Many thanks Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts