Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a vito 111cdi 2004. It has the following issues: Which only started as the mornings got cooler.....
All the followingpoints seem to happen in the morning, the rest of the day it is fine.
Central locking will not operate from the fob, occasionally it will after numerous attempts.
If I let myself in with the key manually. Ignition will not read the key and so will not turn. Eventually it does, it can be seconds, or hours.
Replaced battery keys and now (at great expense) an ignition. No luck.
It had the battery replaced 2 months ago, not sure if this is of any relevance.
On one occasion it stopped locking during the day. But ignition was fine.
All sorts of faults show on the system, including low voltage & steering column fault?
It's torturous.... I can see a few threads with similar issues but not sure if or how they were solved?
Thanks for any help.
rgds Justin

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
before you go any further and start spending serious money.........

remove the battery

remove ALL battery cables and ALL fastenings i.e nuts bolts washers star-washers etc.

Clean ALL above bits with wire brush or wet and dry paper (threads with [preferably brass] wire brush) ESPECIALLY the grounding stud.

Reassemble

MOST of the faults you describe can be caused by connector faults and the fasteners and studs go rusty and/or get crud all over them.

ALSO don't write-off the battery as the source of the problem....... All of the faults could be battery related (as per cleaning above) and you DO get bad batteries.

Modern batteries rarely show the old flat battery symptoms (something to do with the internal resistance of the cells) and tend to fail completely or not power some circuitry.

I had 3 new batteries earlier this year (all on same vehicle) after mine froze and split....... they replaced the split battery for free as they shouldn't freeze but the next 2 replacements failed in under a week and the third is perfect...... the 2 failures were both Lucas (top brand) and the current one is Numan......... I had a similar run of duff batteries a few years ago on my fathers car... they were Lucas as well
although in 40yrs behind the wheel I've never previously had bad Lucas bits (tell a lie, I once had 8 duff ignition condensers on one journey ---- took 14hrs from lake district to here.. 60mls)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Malcolm
Many thanks for the reply. Will clean as you described, anything is worth a try at this stage... Is ther any way of checking if a new battery is dud? It seems ok otherwise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
regularly.... though did for months before this problem emerged. Something to do with turbo. Generally only happens on motoway journies when pushing it a bit... seems to reset itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts