Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my driveshaft center support bearing's rubber mount will separate from the metal mount around the outer periphery of the rubber. Hard to tell if it's torn or just molded a bit ragged. It'll do this all around the aft side when I push up/down/sideways on the driveshaft. On the front side, the rubber laps over the metal mount, so it looks OK. Lateral play is a bit over 1/8", but less than 1/4".

Is this normal, or has it failed? Bearing seems OK--no play, and no noise if I rotate it. Area where the rubber meets the bearing sleeve is fine.

Anybody have experience with FCP's center supports?

·
Premium Member
16,758 Posts
Remove the two bolts to the center support retaining plate and then swing the bottom of the plate to the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position and while holding the drive shaft twist the metal plate and see if it has become detached from the rubber. If it has, you will need to buy repair kit #56 from the dealer and have the center bearing replaced. This is not the usual DIY repair, as the drive shaft has to be separated and the bearing pressed off and on.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picture attached--support looks separated at the rear

Hard to take a good pic in there, but I think this one shows it. There's the mount's outer steel collar, then a hard, but non-metallic ring, then a gap to the rubber. I can slip a screwdriver in there. Same all around. If the rubber is supposed to attach to the non-metallic ring, then it's coming apart. This is the rear--still attached at the front side, even when I loosen and twist the mount.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts