Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 clk 320
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
waz up all you w203 owners, i have a c230 coupe and i am curious to know if there is a center speaker in the stock system. if not how can i add one and what speaker do you guys suggest? has anyone added a center speaker? i put this topic in the audio section but this guy with no idea what he was talking about responded, please helpe!

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Depends...

waz up all you w203 owners, i have a c230 coupe and i am curious to know if there is a center speaker in the stock system. if not how can i add one and what speaker do you guys suggest? has anyone added a center speaker? i put this topic in the audio section but this guy with no idea what he was talking about responded, please helpe!
Do you have the optional BOSE audio system? If so, your car will have a centre fill speaker in the dash instead of the air outlet (with a thumbscrew for opening/closing that vent). If not then you will not. Unfortunately adding one will be rather difficult if you have an air vent there because of the ducting.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
C230K
4 Posts
Re: Depends...

Do you have the optional BOSE audio system? If so, your car will have a centre fill speaker in the dash instead of the air outlet (with a thumbscrew for opening/closing that vent). If not then you will not.
I do have the BOSE option, and my center vent does have a thumbscrew and air does come out. So, would there be a speaker and an air vent, or maybe it was just forgotten on the build...?

·
Registered
2003 clk 320
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unfortunatly i did not get bose. still a little pissed about that but mercedes comes pre...

unfortunatly i did not get bose. still a little pissed about that but mercedes comes pre-wired for a lot of things so im gonna open that thing up and check if i can add a speaker...hope it works!

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
My mistake, Rob...

Do you have the optional BOSE audio system? If so, your car will have a centre fill speaker in the dash instead of the air outlet (with a thumbscrew for opening/closing that vent). If not then you will not.
I do have the BOSE option, and my center vent does have a thumbscrew and air does come out. So, would there be a speaker and an air vent, or maybe it was just forgotten on the build...?
My guess is that you have an earlier '02 model? What happened was that they changed the airvent design due to customers complaining that the windshield would get fogged up over there. As such, cars such as my '03 C320 4-matic do not have the thumbwheel nor airvent over there any longer.

Here is a diagram of the Bose layout for the C-coupe, courtesy and copyright MBUSA

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 ML350, 2004 ML350
335 Posts
yeah, the fogging up is terrible...and the sub is pathetic

is there anything that I can do on my 01 C320 that would prevent the fogging up of the windshield...and secondly, the 9" sub is pathetic, the bose ML sound system is much better...is there anything wrong with the C or are they all like that...

Symptoms: Treble heavy, with or without ambiente and the treble on -3 and base maxed out.

On the ML I am able to make the doors rattle with moderate volume and with the C, it has to be "cranked up" to get anything out of the sub.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Really!...

I'm very surprised to hear that you are displeased with your C320's Bose sound system. I have that option and absolutely love it (and I am somewhat of an audiophile).

The ML's Bose (pre-'02) is not that impressive, with quite muddy base due to the underseat location of the subwoofer.

As for the fogging in your C, yes, there is an updated vent that they can install. You may want to mention this to your dealer the next time you're there.

·
Registered
2013 ML350, 2004 ML350
335 Posts
Re: Really!...

I'm very surprised to hear that you are displeased with your C320's Bose sound system. I have that option and absolutely love it (and I am somewhat of an audiophile).

The ML's Bose (pre-'02) is not that impressive, with quite muddy base due to the underseat location of the subwoofer.

As for the fogging in your C, yes, there is an updated vent that they can install. You may want to mention this to your dealer the next time you're there.
True, the ML is not the best, but as far as base goes, the C seems like the sub is nonexistant... (it does work, but is soooo weak)

but thanks for the info on the new vent [:D]

·
Registered
2013 ML350, 2004 ML350
335 Posts
Well Drew....

I've finally had the opportunity to sit in a C240 with out the Bose system and now have a new-found appreciation. It is still too treble heavy though. [V]

And about the vent, thanks for the info, i've ordered a new one today...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts