Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a favor to ask from the owners of 1989+ W126's. Can someone measure for me, in mm, the width/length of the hole where the shifter assembly is located? Talking about the wood piece and the hole... because the early 1989 and older cars had a narrower design and I'd like to know the width of the updated version. Would GREATLY apprciate it.:D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
if someone had one, laying around, they could scan it on a scanner, keeping the original size and resolution, send it to you and you could make a template out of it. Just a thought

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
Snibble, I do not know if there is any difference between the SEC and SEL console... which do you need? I'm out of town for a few days but will watch this thread to see if you are still in need of an answer when I return.

Dave

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys.. thanks for the responce.

I was after the inner whole dimension of piece found on late 1989+ models.
There are no differences between the SEC/ SE/L model pieces.

thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
659 Posts
Cost of wood piece?

As an aside folks, how much does this piece go for, in $$, and where can it be bought from at a reasonable price? (I never see W126s at my local wrecker's yard to pull it from.)

Cheers,
RS

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
dammit.. i had no idea the early and late wood pieces were different.. good to know, cause i snagged a GORGEOUS burl piece for the CC last time i was at the JY. looks almost new. come home to install it and it's wider than my factory piece! and the holes for the CC buttons don't line up! arrrggg.. maybe i could just swap the whole console from the later car? should be a direct fit, right? i was also thinking about swapping in the later style dome/map light cluster. but i'd probably have to use the whole front headliner piece, wouldn't i?

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
Well, wish I had known this earlier, but it worked out ok for me anyways.

Bought a BEAUTIFUL new old stock zembrano piece--to find out its too narrow! I 'closed my eyes' and took a jigsaw to it to open up the hole. Actually turned out great...and on top its covered by the plastic ring and a chrome bezel on top of that so you can't see where I cut.

If you still need the measurement, let me know. I have my old one in my trunk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts