Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the center console switches on my car is a "blank" (see attached photo). Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket products that will fit? I would love to be able to control my blue light (I'm a volunteer EMT) using a switch in this location.

I searched the forum and wasn't able to find anything. Likewise I did some searching online and came up empty.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
Nice Switch Row…

I am looking into what makes the switch row work…Coming out of the spare switch row I have wires and plugs to low wattage / voltage connections…and the switches that are “blanks” seem to have a tab molded into them to keep them from moving – I hope by removing that tab I can add features – Like you want to…See a thread on my “Custom Full Switch Row”…I am trying to read up on the CAN BUS systems and the way the switches work, how they talk to the front or rear SAM and how they are back lit…

Some people say that you have to have the original switch row to tap into – I am not buying that…In your case you could get the full USA row with PTS and tap that switch to run a relay to run your light…or you could have your switch “de-tabbed” and turned into a rocker / momentary switch that you could then mount a mini switch into and have that run your relay…I think a vector art work icon could be used to make a cutter path to have the switch face laser engraved to make it look factory…I am looking into this as well…

Good luck – Keep us (me ) posted on your progress as you and I seem to be the only people I have read about that want to add “non OEM options” to their Mercedes-Benz…

Thanks and good luck!
Jake

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Most newer cars including Mercedes have all the switches in the cluster already in place and the unused switch cell has a tabbed cover that cannot activate the switch function. The big problem is not in removing the tab so it can work, but the fact that the switch is simply an input device to the vehicles data and control buss and it does not have the ability to really switch any kind of power. Worse yet is that because it is an input device to the system data buss its function is already mapped to the data buss and cannot be changed. The number and size of the wires coming out of the switch cluster remain the same regardless of the number of active switch positions because it outputs a digital coded signal rather than actually switching the power, which is done somewhere else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts