Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a center console box for my 560 SEC, as the previous owner must have forced it open when locked or something (valet, perhaps?) and it is completely ruined :(

What do you guys think of these replacement console boxes?

http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?productname=Center+Console+Box&productid=101426&productType=20&partnumber=

Slowly but surely...I'm looking to restore my car to its former 1988 Glory (after CD-player, soundproofing, and console box, Euro headlights/wiper assembly...)
I'll include pictures when "the deed is done"

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
Im surprised to hear that your 1988 had it.. I thought only starting in 1989 that the cars got center console boxes. Perhaps the owner purchased the console and fitted it in?

In regards to the link.. I've seen it sold for more than half of that price. In the area of $70

you might want to look for something like this, and swap out the keys..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7956938489&category=33695

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
To my knowledge, they came in 1989 cars up. I have seen the wooden boxes from performance products in person, they are very well made and look great. The original one, that Snibble posted the link to, is an absolute bargain. I purchased a used one in gray to match my gray interior, (1985 SEC), for $100.00. The one up for auction appears to be some shade of brown.

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is an '88 Euro spec SEC. However, it was bought by the owner of a chemical company for his wife and they imported it into the U.S. in 1989, there was much work done to make it U.S. Legal. Some of the modifications included the passenger side air-bag (removing the glove compartment), U.S. Spec headlights,, conversion of the speedometer for miles/hour, among other things.
I assume that when they put in the passenger side air-bag, they installed the center console box to make up for the lack of storage space...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
What color is your interior?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The picture quality on the console box selling on ebay is poor, so you really don't get a true sense of color. Maybe close to yours. I'd try to pick it up, the price is practically free.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
parsifal.. I would look into the link I provided. If its going cheap, get it and have the color dyed.

As for interior color, the color looks like "brasil"... and your exterior color looks like bisonbraun (432) made from 1986-1989.

·
Premium Member
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I have the same problem with my box. You know that you can take off the cover and slide off the wood peice to relaplace it right? I plan on epoxing mine, it looks like the little screws holding the button have worked loose, and my wood is in otherwise perfect condition.

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
I am also trying to replace my center console door. I have tried the epoxy rout and it doesn't work. You mentioned Potomac auto; where are they located and do they have a web site. Also, are the boxes offered by Potomac similar to the originals?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts