Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300DT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll I need to replace the center bearing/rubber mount on my 83 300D DT...does anyone have instruction/info that I can use? is this something I can do myself or do i need a shop with specialized equipment, also need to replaces some part on the front end, ball joints, bushings ect...went over a curb and messed it up and it's wearing the tires real bad...I know you need a spreader bar to get it aligned but if anyone has instructions on doing the front end that would be awesome!!! Thanks in advance...:)

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
You can do it yourself. Its a bit of a PITA, You will need a 3 jaw gear puller (avail from autozoo as free rental) or a brass drift and a hammer to put it off. You will then need the appropriate size pipe (thick wall) to drive it back on. Make sure you lower the car and roll it back and forth a full tire rotation or more 2-3 times before you tighten the bolts that hold the carrier in place as well as the center slip joint where the front and back of DS meet. Getting the bolts off on the flex disk can be a real pita as well. Make sure you check now to see if they need replacing.

As for the front end, if you use the spring compressor replace everything that is required for the spring compressor. LCA bushing (bearing in the manual, use the w126 one) and the bits and pieces for the strut rod mount where it meets the LCA. the strut rod bits are cheap but require the compressor (which is not) to replace. Everything else can be replaced without a spring compressor although it makes everything easier. If you want to keep the car forever and its in generally good condition I would just replace everything up front.

Avoid the ebay kits.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
The FSM shows how to replace it with the entire propeller (drive) shaft out of the car, if you'd like, I'll post it.

Depends on what you replace up front. The lower ball joints need special attention, I had one done while still in the car, cuts down on labor charges, no spring removal. A competent repair shop should be able to do that. The rest of the front end is easier.

·
Registered
1983 300DT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can do it yourself. Its a bit of a PITA, You will need a 3 jaw gear puller (avail from autozoo as free rental) or a brass drift and a hammer to put it off. You will then need the appropriate size pipe (thick wall) to drive it back on. Make sure you lower the car and roll it back and forth a full tire rotation or more 2-3 times before you tighten the bolts that hold the carrier in place as well as the center slip joint where the front and back of DS meet. Getting the bolts off on the flex disk can be a real pita as well. Make sure you check now to see if they need replacing.

As for the front end, if you use the spring compressor replace everything that is required for the spring compressor. LCA bushing (bearing in the manual, use the w126 one) and the bits and pieces for the strut rod mount where it meets the LCA. the strut rod bits are cheap but require the compressor (which is not) to replace. Everything else can be replaced without a spring compressor although it makes everything easier. If you want to keep the car forever and its in generally good condition I would just replace everything up front.

Avoid the ebay kits.
so much to learn...appreciate what you've sent, since the car is in great condition and want to keep it for a million miles I probably will just replace the whole front end...

·
Registered
1983 300DT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good info from both of you...I'll keep you posted on how it goes...got the parts now I need to put it all together...cheers!

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,057 Posts
Here is the whole peachparts repair stuff:

Repair Links
DIY Links by Parts Category - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

PeachPartsWiki: Do It Yourself Articles - Mercedes Vehicles

The front Coil Springs are 3-5 times stronger than the ones on the same weight of Gas Car.
I mangled my Strut type Spring Compressor Set; installed larger diameter Threaded Rod on them and bent them again.
After that I made my own Spring Compressor to do the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts