Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fortunate to live in a place where there are few rules to stop one enjoying one's car. As a result I get to celebrate my E320 Wagon...

I've now owned it a little over a year and while I thought I would never say this, I wonder if it is better than my W140 V12. Maybe not my CL500...

But this car flies. I am fortunate to have a 2002 with now only 45,000 miles on it, but it is routinely enjoyed throughout its rev range, and the combination of the near flappy paddle gear box and electrifying rise through the revs makes you forget you are ever driving a wagon. Yet when you want a quiet comfortable car it beats a BMW 3 or 5 series hands down.

My only worry is I may have enjoyed her so much that I fear I have broken her some how. Suffice to say the engine is not quite as bullet proof as the M119 V8 in my CL500.. But still what a car, I'd very surprised if the modern E class is anywhere near as good.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,196 Posts
imo, the w210s (97-00) were the best of the years. Nothing against the post-lift models, but I just did not like the front end front bumper cover change (PIA when working on the front end)
And yes, the M119 (also in the W124s 500e (wip) ) are certainly bullet proof (when taken care of). And of course, easy to maintain and DIY.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
970 Posts
The M112 tolerates neglect better than the M119. This is ironic because the M112 is easier to service.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have now found two very low mileage silver 2002 E430 and E55 Wagons. I don't need these cars but am tempted to buy one of them and just put her in a garage. They just don't make them like this any more.

The E320 I have is so sweet. Does any one know is the E430 or E55 just as good or do they over power the chassis? I am fortunate to live in a very quiet place where you can enjoy these cars. The E320 is sublime near the limit. It certainly does not feel like a wagon but a sports hatch.

Has anyone experience with an W210 E430 vs E55 wagon? Which is sweeter?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,520 Posts
AMG, obviously. Plus the wagon makes it sweeter.

The E55 has enough grunt down low that you don't need to rev it much. Don't be surprised if you're puttering around town and see the engine is basically idling between 25-35 mph.

Some days I purposefully shift to 5th to see how long it takes for the computer to downshift to 4th....and you'd be surprised at how long it takes. E320 was basically a few seconds after I upshifted, the E55 would be like "meh" and keep it where its at. It basically would only downshift if you slowed down too much, or input too much throttle.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AMG, obviously. Plus the wagon makes it sweeter.

The E55 has enough grunt down low that you don't need to rev it much. Don't be surprised if you're puttering around town and see the engine is basically idling between 25-35 mph.

Some days I purposefully shift to 5th to see how long it takes for the computer to downshift to 4th....and you'd be surprised at how long it takes. E320 was basically a few seconds after I upshifted, the E55 would be like "meh" and keep it where its at. It basically would only downshift if you slowed down too much, or input too much throttle.
I did not know you had an AMG55 - my goodness!

And with 270,000k…..!!!

You must spill the beans and tell us more!

Am I crazy if I spend 18,000 USD on a 2002 E55 AMG with 40,000 miles on it? She is immaculate!

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,520 Posts
I bought it with 270k on the clock, for $1500....for the express purpose of pulling the engine and trans out. I didn't actually drive it all 270k miles, though the drive from New Mexico to CA was really good and it certainly deserves the AMG moniker.

Regarding 18k....well yes. Are you buying it in the US or outside? 18k is W211 E55 wagon territory, or E63 wagon territory. It's a lot of money for an old car....unless you're buying in the US.

MB never brought over (last I checked) any W210 E55 wagon to the US, so the few that are here are through grey market or other methods.

I personally am doing a E320 wagon -> E55 wagon swap with the aforementioned E55, for that precise reason.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,671 Posts
I have an M119 SL500 and an M113 E430. I really like both cars. If I had to choose one to live with constantly it would be the E-Class. Far easier to get in and out. Because of the Rack & Pinion steering and being lighter, it handles better. In the SL, which is noticeably lower with huge doors that can rarely be opened fully without hitting something, you have to bend in your left knee to avoid scraping the speaker cover on the door panel.

I would say both engines )M119 and M112/113) (the M113 V8 is nearly identical to the M112 V6 minus the balance shaft) are amazing. Despite lower displacement and 40 less hp, the performance - acceleration - is nearly identical since the SL weighs a good 400-500 lbs more. When you give both the throttle, the M119 has more of a "VROOOM" sound, while the M113 just goes about its business.

The only weakness of the M119 -post 1992 - is the plastic cam oiler tubes. They used to be a fine machined aluminum, and the bean counters put in plastic, which over time from heat/pressure breaks and leaks oil. The ends will pop open, and you will hear lifter noise. That's one of the first things I changed when I got the car. These are necessary (M119) because the block is from the M117 with a SOHC. The tubes bring oil to the 2nd cam on the head.

I am sure that V6 of yours is capable of 300,000 miles and more.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The E55 I am looking at is in Europe, not US.

And yes I replaced the cam oiler tubes with AL on my M119...

Great posts!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
268 Posts
Not the wagon, but had a 1999 and missed it so much got a 2001 afterwards. It had 30,000 miles under warranty and never seen the inside of the dealer. Both were excellent vehicles.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not the wagon, but had a 1999 and missed it so much got a 2001 afterwards. It had 30,000 miles under warranty and never seen the inside of the dealer. Both were excellent vehicles.
This tends to support my weird inclination to buy a Silver E430 or Silver E55 Wagon (2002) and simply store it.

One great mechanic I knew said that after the E38 (ahem BMW), the W140, the R129 and the W210 no more properly decent cars were made.

Having just driven back to back my V12 W140, a W222 and a Rolls I really think he has a point. The W222 was impressive but...

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,658 Posts
This tends to support my weird inclination to buy a Silver E430 or Silver E55 Wagon (2002) and simply store it.

o_O My dream cars! Where are you located at?

·
Registered
2002 E430 Sprt/w W211 wheels
124 Posts
I love the W210 so much that I sold my 00 E430 sport and got an 02 E430 sport last month after 2 years gap and my family and friends thought I was crazy buying the same car again but they don’t understand the attachment I had with that car which I was not able to create with my other cars. There is something about these that is unique, I just love driving it and know exactly how it’s going to react in every situation. The V8 in the E430 is pretty bulletproof, probably more so than the M119, because of a simpler design. I also get great mpg with my style of driving, I get 21 city and like 24-25 combined, I try to not go over 2k rpm, I don’t need to mostly because of the low end torque of the V8. Now the E55 is nice too but most are overpriced and the brakes are more expensive in those, also the fuel. But if you are looking from a collectors viewpoint, I would get one as a garage queen/weekend cruiser. But as a daily the 430 is perfect in terms of everything and I was lucky to find both with Sport package which gives the car a sharper/modern look.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
268 Posts
I love the W210 so much that I sold my 00 E430 sport and got an 02 E430 sport last month after 2 years gap and my family and friends thought I was crazy buying the same car again but they don’t understand the attachment I had with that car which I was not able to create with my other cars. There is something about these that is unique, I just love driving it and know exactly how it’s going to react in every situation. The V8 in the E430 is pretty bulletproof, probably more so than the M119, because of a simpler design. I also get great mpg with my style of driving, I get 21 city and like 24-25 combined, I try to not go over 2k rpm, I don’t need to mostly because of the low end torque of the V8. Now the E55 is nice too but most are overpriced and the brakes are more expensive in those, also the fuel. But if you are looking from a collectors viewpoint, I would get one as a garage queen/weekend cruiser. But as a daily the 430 is perfect in terms of everything and I was lucky to find both with Sport package which gives the car a sharper/modern look.
I started off looking at a E320, but could not find the options I wanted. I then started looking for an E430 and the same thing. Since the 55 had almost everything standard, I located one and when I pulled out of the dealership I was sold!

I ended up with my 600 the same way!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I started off looking at a E320, but could not find the options I wanted. I then started looking for an E430 and the same thing. Since the 55 had almost everything standard, I located one and when I pulled out of the dealership I was sold!

I ended up with my 600 the same way!
Which options did you want? My previous E430 had Sport package, heated seats, cd changer, sunroof and everything else that is standard. My current one has Sport package, no heated seats, rear sunshade(works when it wants to), rain sensor, cd changer and sunroof. I am not too picky about options because most don't work well as the car gets old and it's a headache. I already feel lucky to find the current one as I was looking at another E430 with only a 100k the night before I got mine, it had no options other than the sunroof and was in great shape as it was probably in storage and the guy selling it looked like a flipper, the car had so much back fees from DMV so I passed on it and that same night I found mine on craigslist just the way I wanted one, Blk/Blk, sport package, in very good condition, the paint is as shiny as it can get, so I jumped on it, for the price I paid, it was basically a giveaway as the PO's wife wanted it gone because they had so many projects on hand including an 05 SL55.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
268 Posts
I wanted honestly about all options I could find - heated seats, ortho seats, rear sunshade, xenon lamps with washers, COMAND, CTEL, etc.

On the W221, I wanted Night Vision, rear seat package, Distronic PLUS, Keyless-Go, etc., and a 500/550 was difficult to find with those options. The turbochargers hanging off each side of the engine did not hurt anything, either!
Which options did you want? My previous E430 had Sport package, heated seats, cd changer, sunroof and everything else that is standard. My current one has Sport package, no heated seats, rear sunshade(works when it wants to), rain sensor, cd changer and sunroof. I am not too picky about options because most don't work well as the car gets old and it's a headache. I already feel lucky to find the current one as I was looking at another E430 with only a 100k the night before I got mine, it had no options other than the sunroof and was in great shape as it was probably in storage and the guy selling it looked like a flipper, the car had so much back fees from DMV so I passed on it and that same night I found mine on craigslist just the way I wanted one, Blk/Blk, sport package, in very good condition, the paint is as shiny as it can get, so I jumped on it, for the price I paid, it was basically a giveaway as the PO's wife wanted it gone because they had so many projects on hand including an 05 SL55.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice! I have had most of those options separately on both the W210s, but sadly, the sunroof and rear sunshade on my current one don't work, I don't even use those so doesn't really matter, my sunshade is stuck up so it looks better that way as my windows are not tinted. Though I do wish I had COMMAND and Xenons, there is an E430 with command and xenons at a junkyard near me, maybe I will get those parts and do a retrofit if I feel like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts