1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
GLK 250BT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody,

So...this light came on few days ago.
OBDII tool has reported P0170 code - Fuel trim Mulfunction. I tried clearing it but as I thought, the light came back next day. There is a problem that needs to be solved to make the CEL go away.
I replaced air filter today ( it was full of debris) but haven't tried to clear the code yet.
Some information on the WEB point at MAF sensor.
As this is a little more than what I could do myself ( I can change oil, replace the light bulb and other small things), I went to MB Service for an advise.
Their advice was to book a service with $260 for STAR diagnosis as a start.
I also checked for MAF sensor cost at the Parts counter but was surprised to learn how B200 doesn't have one.
In one of previous threads, there is some info on replacing O2 sensors.

I wonder if anyone has experienced CEL with this or similar problem and if someone could tell if there is MAF sensor in B200.
It is 2007 B200 with 46,000km,CVT, first owner.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
$260 for a STAR test that takes 5 minutes? The car must have some sort of meter to measure air volume. It's not likely a code that can be attributed to the oxygen sensor...

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
I'd say the upstream O2 sensor would trigger this error as it relates to the fuel mixture control.

·
Registered
06 White B200T
739 Posts
It is 2007 B200 with 46,000km,CVT, first owner.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
What about warranty? It should still inside the 4 years or 80000 kms.

Anthony

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Unless it was bought in mid-November 2006 or later, warranty is up. So seriously, there is no air flow meter on the B Class?

·
Registered
GLK 250BT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This falls under Emission System warranty (2 Yrs./40,000 KM).
Only ECM is warranted for 8 years. All sensors O2, air sensor ... are warranted for 2 Yrs.

I'm currently searching to identify P0170 code which i got with OBDII.
There must be a way to identify the faulty sensor, other than paying for the STAR in MB shop.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for replies. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
GLK 250BT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Downstream O2 sensor has been replaced. CEL is gone.
$110 for Bosch sensor. $40 for labour (+$20 tip :)

I'm ready for some snowboarding at Blue, this weekend.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 B200
5 Posts
P0170 Mercedes B200

got a check engine light on my B200 lately. Went to Joe Basilli, and he put a scan. It showed O2 Oxygen sensor. So he replaced the sensor and reset the system. After a few days the light came back on. So brought it back in and he tightened and checked all the hoses around. Reset the system. After a few days the light came back on. Called him but he is reluctant to keep working on it and recommended going to the dealership. I am clueless what to do.
Anyone had that issue? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,520 Posts
got a check engine light on my B200 lately. Went to Joe Basilli, ...I am clueless what to do.
Anyone had that issue? Any recommendations?
It could be a new bad sensor..or an intermittent wiring problem.

Does the problem affect your fuel consumption..?

The dealer will naturally change more parts..and charge you a bundle.

...and maybe the warning will come back again...or maybe it won't...:crying:

·
Registered
2009 B200
5 Posts
Yeah I thought so too about possibly the sensor that was replaced but Joe was adamant it was not that.
I have not noticed any issue about fuel consumption so far

It is frustrating and dread to go to the dealer as it is almost assured they will say zillion of things to be replaced where I am sure it is probably some silly thing

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah I thought so too about possibly the sensor that was replaced but Joe was adamant it was not that.
I have not noticed any issue about fuel consumption so far

It is frustrating and dread to go to the dealer as it is almost assured they will say zillion of things to be replaced where I am sure it is probably some silly thing
Is there another indie German mechanic you can go to? Dealer should only be a last resort when all else fails (or when at least 2 indies tell you to go).

·
Registered
2009 B200
5 Posts
That is what I am trying to do now, asking around for recommendations since my first 3rd party mechanic failed. I have been asking around some friends if anyone has a recommendation for the Montreal area would be appreciated?

·
Registered
2006 B200T
930 Posts
That is what I am trying to do now, asking around for recommendations since my first 3rd party mechanic failed. I have been asking around some friends if anyone has a recommendation for the Montreal area would be appreciated?
Did your first mechanic use star diagnostic machine? or just a scan tool? The Scan tool points you in the right direction, but not specific enough for some MB codes. Maybe check to make sure the next mechanice has Star Diagnostic machine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts