Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a CEL on the 1997 Mercedes E-Class, 190k miles, clean title, well maintained. The tech at Sears read the following trouble codes:

P0330 - Knock Sensor 2 Curcuit Bank 2
P0442 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected
P0455 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected

I've read online that the Gas Cap needs to be replaced for P0330 which I will do later today. Does it have to be a Mercedes Gas cap or an OEM gas cap at Pep Boys will do?

The Car just passed CA SMOG test just fine, just last week.

When the CEL came on, it beeped and the low Fuel Level indicator yellow light started to blink rapidly.

I appreciate your expert opinion on where to go from here. Thanks!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I would first try simply flipping the gasket on the fuel cap.

Both of your evap codes, as well as the flashing low fuel light, are also often associated with the fuel cap seal, so that may be all you need.

If your cap is otherwise sound (sometimes they fail and the ears no longer properly align!) then you can also buy a new gasket seal for it either at the dealer or on line. It's only a couple of dollars.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1997 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:

I replaced the Gas Cap with a new Mercedes Gas cap from the dealership $30. Cleared the codes. Drove for 2 days with no check engine light. Today, it just came on after I filled premium gas and drove a few miles from the gas station.

The code now is only P0330 - Knock Sensor 2 Curcuit Bank 2.

Both P0442 and P0455 are gone.

So what needs to be done to resolve P0330 code? I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I would recommend running a good cleaner thru the injection system - try Stabil Marine Formula (Blue) $9 bottle and dose the tank per instruction - run that tank and another tank of fuel - then run the 2nd dose the code generally indicates "knock" or pending misfire in the injection system.

If that doesn't clear it then you might need to start pulling/testing injecotrs.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
1997 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
STA-BIL blue or red formula

Hi fabbrisd1,

Thank you for your recommendation. So I went to the local AutoZone parts store. The guy at the store said I cannot use Sta-Bil Marine Formula (blue) as it is for ethanol and not for regular gas.

He said I should use Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer (red) because the Mercedes uses regular 92 gas and not ethanol.

Why do you recommend the blue formula? Does it work better than the red gasoline formula? Any -ve effect on the Mercedes? Also, do I put it on Empty tank first and then fill up with 92 gas?

I know many questions...but thanks for your expert response.

·
Registered
1997 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tried STA-BIL Blue Formula, all 3 codes still there...

I tried the STA-BIL Marine Blue formula as per the instructions, 2 doses. Changed the gas cap as well with a new gas cap from the dealer. The CEL light cleared itself once all by itself after I put the new gas cap and used the fuel cleaner but is now back ON again. I went to PepBoys to get the codes and all three are still there: P0330, P0455, P0442.

So now what? Which injectors to pull/test? Is there a DIY sticky on this?

It runs and drives smoothly. No shakes or smokes or loud noises or high revs or vibrations. Can the car be driven with the CEL light on? The local mech wants $300+ to diagnose/fix when I told him what the codes are which he hasn't even looked at. Yikes!

I appreciate all your help! Thank you...

I would recommend running a good cleaner thru the injection system - try Stabil Marine Formula (Blue) $9 bottle and dose the tank per instruction - run that tank and another tank of fuel - then run the 2nd dose the code generally indicates "knock" or pending misfire in the injection system.

If that doesn't clear it then you might need to start pulling/testing injecotrs.

Keep the faith !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts