Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
00 E320 4MATIC
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any adhesive in suggestion to apply and put ceiling cloth back to place?
My idea is to use medical injector with needle and spray a liquid through the cloth and press it against background.
This car starts drive me a crazy.:)))

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Photos would help alot. The type of glue that should be used, should not stain the cloth after drying. i.e. where you can reach and lift the corner you can use 3M glue ... (again photos will help)

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Mine is doing the same. I would repair it but the genius who installed it had dirty hands and black marks are visible...especially around the sunroof, talk about incompetent... so I figure i'd rather replace the whole headliner when that time comes.

·
Registered
1999 E300DT (RIP) 2001 E55
128 Posts
Any adhesive in suggestion to apply and put ceiling cloth back to place?
My idea is to use medical injector with needle and spray a liquid through the cloth and press it against background.
This car starts drive me a crazy.:)))
From what I've read, a "spot repair" isn't going to work as nothing will satisfactorily stick to the disintergrating foam layer which is causing the problem.

I've resorted to using some wide thumbtacks I picked up in Wal-Mart.

OEM material is available for $260.
http://www.headlinerexpress.com/19962002-mercedes-e300e320e420e430e55-sedanwagon-p-829.html

There is a caution I've read on other sites to make SURE to get the 1/8" material as most stuff you find is too thick and will cause problems with the sunroof.

Here's a DIY I'm going to use as a guide when I repair mine the right way...

Signal to Noise:Alcantara - Marcus Fitzhugh

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
One important part of this project, is the glue that is used. This 3M spray glue has served me well in many occasions without leaving any residue/stain. A very light spray will do the work. However, how you need to approach to spray in there is another issue. I would probably, reach from one side (near the rear window) peal from there and make it bigger to be able to reach inside the cavity, then lightly spray very small sections at the time, to be able to stick it back without making wrinkles from center of the car towards rear of the car. You do this, on your own risk obviously.

Shop 3M 17 Oz. Multipurpose Spray Adhesive at Lowes.com

·
Registered
128 Posts
One important part of this project, is the glue that is used. This 3M spray glue has served me well in many occasions without leaving any residue/stain. A very light spray will do the work. However, how you need to approach to spray in there is another issue. I would probably, reach from one side (near the rear window) peal from there and make it bigger to be able to reach inside the cavity, then lightly spray very small sections at the time, to be able to stick it back without making wrinkles from center of the car towards rear of the car. You do this, on your own risk obviously.

Shop 3M 17 Oz. Multipurpose Spray Adhesive at Lowes.com
If you look at how the original headliner is installed, there is NO WAY to "peel" the sagging headliner away to re-glue it. The headliner is folded around the edges of the headliner panel where it is glued, specifically to discourage "peeling" away from the edges.

The disintergrating foam between the headliner fabric and headliner panel isn't going to allow a "quick fix."

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Well, No one said its an easy job. Anything in this nature is pain. All I personally introduced a potential adhesive which has done well in the past for me. Rest, as you are on your own risk, be creative and resourceful or live with it.

·
Registered
00 E320 4MATIC
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The biggest question is the glue. What type of the glue is used in production of the car?! Last night I did quick examine of area and already got some idea.
Rubber seal on the car body for door is easy to disconnect, then try to pull out that inner panel on C-pillar (panel where is opening for back seat belt).
Even I find appropriate glue, it is not super glue or whatsoever, I'll need something firm that will press cloth against ceiling and keep it over night until glue dry. A lot of pillows.:))))

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Pictures are here.
2 pics for left side and 1 pic for right side.
Mine just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. How difficult is it to remove the whole headliner? Any DIYs? I think I'll leave it until I can find the time to repaint my whole car a different color in which I will be removing the windshield and the rear glass anyways.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. How difficult is it to remove the whole headliner? Any DIYs? I think I'll leave it until I can find the time to repaint my whole car a different color in which I will be removing the windshield and the rear glass anyways.
See post #6

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Auto parts, hardware stores carry some special pins to fix the sagging problem.
1) Who will look up the ceiling to see the pins?
2) The pins look OK when done in symmetrical pattern. Test for optimum pin position with finger.

Google "headliner pins".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Auto parts, hardware stores carry some special pins to fix the sagging problem.
1) Who will look up the ceiling to see the pins?
2) The pins look OK when done in symmetrical pattern. Test for optimum pin position with finger.

Google "headliner pins".
I've ordered similar pins, but I'm afraid of possibly damaging wiring under headliner shell. Does anyone know if there are any wires in the rear that might get pinched by these pins which are approximately 3/4" deep.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts