Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into another car for fun and was thinking DD. Any input on what to look for and issues that are known. I assume because of the era these prove to be solid machines as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,981 Posts
CE or Wagon?

I have been looking into another car for fun and was thinking DD. Any input on what to look for and issues that are known. I assume because of the era these prove to be solid machines as well.
Not sure which your looking for, but in general look for replaced engine wire harness on 93-95, (if not replaced, you'll need to do it), make sure A/c works, bad evaps are expensive to replace.

Other than that, head gaskets on the 6's, and trannies are commen higher milage failures, finding one with a new head gasket and/or tranny rebuild is a plus.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Do a search for some buyers guides, I know there's one hiding around in the search feature here.
If you can't find that here's one: W124-Zone.com – A Mercedes W124 Resource Site - The Buyers Guide and there's one here: W124 Buyers Guide - Club 124

If you need an excel spreadsheet to use as a checklist when you're going to look at a car, I made one not to long ago and can upload that here for you to use. It's basically a comprehensive checklist of nearly all the major checkpoints on a W124 which could prove to keep you down to earth when you find that "Just gotta have it" car.

and welcome to the relatively drama free W124 section! :)

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do a search for some buyers guides, I know there's one hiding around in the search feature here.
If you can't find that here's one: W124-Zone.com – A Mercedes W124 Resource Site - The Buyers Guide and there's one here: W124 Buyers Guide - Club 124

If you need an excel spreadsheet to use as a checklist when you're going to look at a car, I made one not to long ago and can upload that here for you to use. It's basically a comprehensive checklist of nearly all the major checkpoints on a W124 which could prove to keep you down to earth when you find that "Just gotta have it" car.

and welcome to the relatively drama free W124 section! :)
Nice article's. Very helpful and trying something besides a w126 now feels more comfortable. They look like they can be good machines

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Nice article's. Very helpful and trying something besides a w126 now feels more comfortable. They look like they can be good machines
The same principles apply in buying a W124 as it did with buying a W126.

If you think of it that way, you should be a happy camper.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Coupe, Midnight/Rio Blue/Gray, 107K miles
183 Posts
Good advice abounds here :) My 94 Midnight blue/Orion gray leather coupe has been a delight. I found no evidence of engine wiring harness replacement in the very complete dealer-only service records through the 88K it spent in the original owner's hands...and in light use I've not yet seen any symptoms. But thanks to crew here a Benz World, I stand at the ready. Harness is a pricey part but an easy install. The car still turns heads, 16 years after delivery.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I used to have an '89 420 SEL, and while there are times I miss that car, what I don't miss is having to be ultra-gentle with accelerator inputs to have a fighting chance at either high-teens MPG, or, gasp, a two-digit number starting with a 2!

The 124 is a better 'city' car. I found the long-wheelbase 126 occasionally gave me hesitation with some parking situations, though the comfort cannot be beat.

The I-6 is almost disturbingly smooth, FWIW. Gotta love perfect primary and secondary balance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts