Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm beginning to think it may be a good idea to replace my injector nozzles on my 2006 E320 CDI (~155k miles). Seems to run slightly more rough than it should (rougher when cold, smoother when warm), and spits a little black smoke under hard acceleration. MPG is acceptable, in the low-mid 20's around town and ~33-35 highway by my estimation/calculation.
My swirl flaps are zip-tied in the open position too.

Question is - if I don't have any signs of 'black death', can I remove the injectors and re-install them without reaming the injector bore or sealing surface? Only replacing the copper washers and hold-down bolts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
956 Posts
No need. Just clean the surface with rag or fine grinding paper wrapped for example on wooden stick.

Reaming is needed only if surface has abrasive wear due to black death leak.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
641 Posts
I'm beginning to think it may be a good idea to replace my injector nozzles on my 2006 E320 CDI (~155k miles). Seems to run slightly more rough than it should (rougher when cold, smoother when warm), and spits a little black smoke under hard acceleration. MPG is acceptable, in the low-mid 20's around town and ~33-35 highway by my estimation/calculation.
My swirl flaps are zip-tied in the open position too.

Question is - if I don't have any signs of 'black death', can I remove the injectors and re-install them without reaming the injector bore or sealing surface? Only replacing the copper washers and hold-down bolts?

Thanks!
I have 165K, my black smoke did not completely clear up after the flaps were wired open, it took a few weeks with hard accelerations every time i drove it like 50-110 mph before the black smoke finally stopped. I drove around for several months without realizing the flaps were the reason for hard starting and rough running until the engine warmed up(there was an ERG code that occasionally popped up) The black smoke on acceleration was like Bond’s DB4 smokescreen prior to wiring the flaps open.

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,232 Posts
In the case of my 2005 E320 CDI seat cutting was critical. The seats were literally "dished" from age and wear, I'm guessing, and the last person to replace the copper sealing rings used thicker ones than what Mercedes supplies, possibly the thicker ones from Honda diesels some people have used. When I ran the seat cutter around the two cylinders I did today it barely cut around the outer edge, maybe a millimeter's worth, I had to cut quite a bit to get them flat again.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Without the zip tie, mine stay closed - which results in a very rough start on a cold engine - lots of shaking, chugging sounds, and smoke - and possibly other side effects. The biggest thing it cured for me was the cold startup.
I made a long tie by connecting a few together, and ran it around the arm that opens and closes the flaps, then hung it over the oil filter housing to keep it pulled open. Not the most elegant solution - but has been working fine for a while.

Obviously the flaps exist for some purpose - I hear if not functioning properly, it can negatively effect torque in some conditions, possibly effect emissions, possibly effect MPG efficiency - but any negative is surely less severe than the startup issues I was having.

I plan on fixing it at some point - which will likely mean intake manifold removal, entire clean/de-carbonizing of it etc. - so that the flaps can move freely - on mine they are very difficult to move by hand, and would assume because of this effort required, it caused the flap motor arm to pop out of its socket as well.

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,232 Posts
My question is - which way do you move the flap lever(s) to open? Towards the front or rear?

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Towards the front of the car - I can't confirm if that opens or closes, I haven't looked inside of the manifold - but my intuition is that they open when pulling it forward :) it starts like normal now.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
So pulling it forward eliminated your poor starting and rough idle? That would suggest that forward is open.

Thanks?

·
Registered
2003yr W211 E270 CDI 256hp+
13 Posts
If u have ur ECU file i can help you with that. Black smoke is caused from more mg injected from the injectors. On my old Mercedes W210 2.7 CDI some sh*t mapper did 100mg fuel per second, that did much much damage to the pistons and then the engine. But i saw that too late when i readed the ECU, then fixed the maps and the engine. I did drive it more year and a half then sell it to a friend of mine. He is using it for a 2 years no problems. Are you sure that ur car does not have a remap did to it ?

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as I know my car has the stock, unmodified ECU. I have not modified anything.

·
Registered
2003yr W211 E270 CDI 256hp+
13 Posts
If u have a friend or something with Kess V2 or Ktag or Galetto, read the ECU, save the file and please send it to me. I want to see it, if thats not a problem ofc. We are working in Bulgaria with this kind of stuff. DPF, EGR, LAMBDA & etc. off, launch controls, Rev limiters (better hearing if u have straight pipe) stage from 1 to 3 remapping. Diesel and petrol cars. So its fun, my car (I have a graph from dyno) before 2 months was 230 hp and 568nm torque. And that is only from remapping, from 177 to 230 exactly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts