Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the cd changer in my car in the dash and i am getting a "magazine empty" message while the magazine is full...i called this place up known as "exotic sounds" and they said that the cd changer is misaligned and they would need to align it and they would charge me like $150. do you guys think i should go along with this??? or is there another way to fix this problem?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
if you have the CD changer in your glove box and it is reading CD magazine empty after you hear it moving and checking each of the 6 slot for CD when you are sure you have the CD in there chances are your CD changer is broken or misaligned.

for $150 you are better off paying a little more for a new MB CD changer on ebay or else where.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Removed CD changer from vehicle, opened unit and found the lever mechanism that pulls the CDs from magazine into the reader was stuck (hardly any grease). Cleaned off old grease and applied fresh bead of white lithium grease -$1.99. This cleared the 'Empty Magazine' error and changer can now cycle thru all CDs/Tracks, but now the sound quality is heavily distorted. Any ideas?

·
Registered
67 Posts
OR spend just over $300 EuroCarPhone.com they offer a nifty little item that takes the place of your CD changer, and it even uses the same power plug and Fiberoptic cable the CD change did, so it really just takes the place of the CD changer and has a 2.5mm line out jack (standard headphone jack)

This will allow the use of any MP3 player or electronics with a line out jack on older D2B Mercedes and new MOST vehicles. Now it's not like the factory offered (only for MOST equipped) MB iPod kit that allows the Mutlifunction Steering Wheel to operate the iPod, but eh who cares....6 cd's a magazine, or an entire 27gb music collection + more glove box space!!!

Just a thought, peace out.

But if you like your CD changer, I have mine for sale w/ 3 magazines email me please, do not reply asking how much, will I ship, where am I located etc as this is not really the for sale forum....sorry mods cheap plug

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
OR spend just over $300 EuroCarPhone.com they offer a nifty little item that takes the place of your CD changer, and it even uses the same power plug and Fiberoptic cable the CD change did, so it really just takes the place of the CD changer and has a 2.5mm line out jack (standard headphone jack)

This will allow the use of any MP3 player or electronics with a line out jack on older D2B Mercedes and new MOST vehicles. Now it's not like the factory offered (only for MOST equipped) MB iPod kit that allows the Mutlifunction Steering Wheel to operate the iPod, but eh who cares....6 cd's a magazine, or an entire 27gb music collection + more glove box space!!!

Just a thought, peace out.

But if you like your CD changer, I have mine for sale w/ 3 magazines email me please, do not reply asking how much, will I ship, where am I located etc as this is not really the for sale forum....sorry mods cheap plug
umm...why?

you do know you can get a OEM AUX cable right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
umm...why?

you do know you can get a OEM AUX cable right?
For which D2B or most?

....oh yeah sorry about the MOST enabled I'm a moron, there's no need MB does offer a factory option, actually may be cheaper too....I was thinking of two products same answer, there is another aftermarket AUX input, but only for the MOST enabled. This is cheaper, much cheaper I understand...but you lost all in car controls, it just is an audio input...iPod controls iPod not car controls iPod.

However unless I'm mistaken the D2B cars don't have any factory options for this....or do we?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found the intermittent distortion problem. There's a ribbon cable that goes from the main CD changer unit to an attached module (housing power and DB2 plugs). Well, while putting everything back together I unknowingly snipped the cable on the very sharp edges of the cover and severed a lead. I found a thread where someone else did the exact same thing. He said he was able to order the $12 cable from a vender. I'll try that next.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
For which D2B or most?

....oh yeah sorry about the MOST enabled I'm a moron, there's no need MB does offer a factory option, actually may be cheaper too....I was thinking of two products same answer, there is another aftermarket AUX input, but only for the MOST enabled. This is cheaper, much cheaper I understand...but you lost all in car controls, it just is an audio input...iPod controls iPod not car controls iPod.

However unless I'm mistaken the D2B cars don't have any factory options for this....or do we?
for both actually. some cars have pre-wires, some cars doesn't. you can purchase a AUX input cable for around $20-25 through dealer parts ($12-15 if wholesale). There's a DIY thread. If you don't have the AUX pre-wire where you just plug it in on the passenger side, then you will have to DIY it to the back of the headunit. If you do have the Comand 2.0. there is a instruction posted by Buell on his website on how to wire it up using the C2 connector in the back. For the non-comand headunits there are instructions as well.

for d2b we don't have the ipod controller available through the dealer however.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dude post the link to the DIY, because I'm down like a circus clown for a $25 fix....but if it's the one I'm thinking of, dude says it's only for 05 and up command systems.

Oh and you got a part number for that dealer part??? PLEEEEASE

thanks in advance

·
Registered
67 Posts
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1289872-aux-input-2005-w203-w-pics.html

that the DIY? And I'm a moron again, I must have just not wanted to read the line where he does say "the dealer even told me it works with several other models" I'm off to the dealership right now...I'll let you know.

(bad or good for me and my pocket book I dunno, but I live 2 minutes from my Local MB dealership) :D

Ok so I stopped for dinner, and bought some dog food...but I'm back. Sorry I only have half the answer until Tuesday until the electrical/phone tech is in again. Which he is the only electrical/phone tech they have so I'm guessing whatever he tells us, is right.

But after giving the part number to the kid @ the counter and explaining that I know this works in an 05, explained the whole deal....and that I was there to see if it worked for earlier 230's....yes and other years of cerain CL/CLK and SLK's

2001 C230 Kompressor Sport models to present are listed as applied cars to
Part # A 210 440 50 05 64
(oh but the part number has changed, drop the 64 at the end)

But based on the picture the counter guy has to verify the right part is in his hand, it could be argued that you have to have not a UHI equipped car, but at least the command unit. I'll let you know Tues what I find out. But I'm half way to a yes =D

EDITED AGAIN
I think I may have stumbled upon something, I was reading my manual about the tape deck (I had a pretty good idea for the tape deck. So there I am reading and I come across something I completely forgot about, there is a another input line to the radios (non command equipped) naturally like every radio...AM/FM, but (US only) there is also a WB = Wideband channel, for satelite radio (that's why US only, does that not exist off this continent?? Interesting...moving along)

I'd be willing to bet this is how that cable works on my car as did the 05, I bet I click over to the Weatherband channel to us an iPod. It makes sense doesn 't it? I mean it's a possibility..

Dammint where's my manual, I mean they told me it takes a while, but I sure could use the thing now, for some wiring schematics.

But yeah so anyway, I don't use it, in fact I don't listen to AM so I'm never switching radio bands, so I had completely brain dumped seeing that the day I picked up the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts