Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model MC3198

Is this compatable with W208? MBUSA smells Ebay and wont tell me, and the folks over on the Audio forum are playing with their tweeters......Thanks

·
Registered
2002 CLK-430
166 Posts
I really don't know but I do have a question. Why pay for a OEM changer when after market are so much better and relatively inexpensive?[8D]

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanky Franky, The first thing I did with my ML was to have an Alpine(was king at the time) installed cuz' the stock stereo really sounded like crap. The CLK however sounds really good & I'm partial to Bose (call me an ol' timer)so all I want to do is add a changer. I was not aware of aftermarket changers that are compatible with the fiber optic setup. Could you suggest a few? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
MC3198 is the correct model CD changer for the 99-02 CLKs. It is not compatible with model years prior to 1999 (this was when MB changed to a fiber optic bus). The later model years (03-up) and other MB models use the MC3010. Both the MC3198 and the MC3010 are compatible in the 99-02 CLK. The MC3010 was a newer model release that is slightly smaller and may be mounted in the glovebox. The MC3198 has the carpet pad cover and a specific mounting bracket for the trunk (where the spare fiber optic cable and power line are). Note that the 99-02 CLKs do not have this wiring in the glovebox.

It is my understanding that are no aftermarket systems that are compatible with the fiber optic bus, with the exception of the Becker units, which are priced higher than stock MB units.

You'll find MC3198s for sale on eBay right around $250.

Mark
02CLK320

·
worst mod in BW history
27,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mark....yer a fountain of knowledge. Panasonic claims to have a model, but I was leary as MB is very fond of proprietary hardware (ala Dell), and would not allow it. Are the necesssary connectors in the trunk? I searched and found nothing. Are they hidden in the felt panel? Thanks

·
Registered
2002.CLK.Coupe
5 Posts
ThrillKill

I retrofitted the OEM changer, maybe 2 years ago. When doing a search on DIY instructions I found some people who said it was basically in plain site, but not mine. I found the wires only after removing the panelling in the well next to the battery (right side as viewed from the rear). Once I removed the panel, the wires were taped to the body with masking tape.

The trick is finding the wires, after that it should be really downhill (10-20minute job).

EDIT:
Oh, and by the way. here's another point of contention. Some people say you have to have the headunit reprogrammed to recognize the CD changer before it will work, other say it worked for awhile then stopped and had to get programmed for it to work again, and then there are others who've said they've never had to get programmed.

All I know is that mine worked right away, but during a maintenance service I had them check it out, and they said they programming my headunit.

Good luck.

·
worst mod in BW history
27,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info.....I'm looking for my machete now.....I'll find those wires

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
not sure what year your car is, but check out paul dicks website that has installation instructions for mb phone, vr and cd changers for each year in pdf format. lots of good info on this site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/phone_bulletins.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to BKLYN for posting the link to the DIY instructions. I found these a few weeks ago myself when I was looking at the same install issues. The step-by-step procedures, photos and model-specific instructions make it pretty straight forward.

You may or may not need to have the head unit programmed by the MB dealer. It depends on whether or not your car has ever had a CD changer in it before. If it did at one time, then the programming feature is already enabled and you can simply put a new changer in and go. If it's the first installation, (I'm told) that you need to have the dealer "flip the software switch". Don't panic though. A dealer shouldn't charge you any more than $50 (1/2 hour labor) to do this, but depending on whether or not you're already bringing it in for some other service or how good your relationship is with your service manager, you may be able to just get it done.

As discussed, the cables are under there, but hidden by the felt. The cable connectors are typically wrapped in protective foam.

If you have the MB phone installed, the installation's a little trickier, only because the phone equipment and the CD changer are in the same general area, but absolutely have to be connected to the fiber optic bus in a specific order in order to complete the loop back to the head unit.

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
hey mboileau, maybe you can help me out.

I won an auction a few weeks back on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7970330381&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT for this oem phone kit and VRM for my w208 and yesterday i pulled everything out and checked to see how hard it would be to install it. Heres my observations and if you could offer any advise or tips that would be greatly appreciated:

1> I hooked up the 25 pole D connector from the telephone Y cable to the vehicle harness no problem.

2> I hooked up the 15 pole D connector from the vehicle harness to the VRM no problem.

3> I hooked the UHF connector from the front center console to the linear compensator RF jack labeled Portable no problem.

4> I hooked up the remaining RF lead from the integrated bumper antenna to the linear compensator RF jack labeled Antenna no problem.

5> After looking around and cutting some wire tires I realized that the fiber optic cables I needed were in the wrap on the passenger side and in the center under the trunk liner. There was (1) one orange loop fiber optic cable that had (1) one connector with a green cap and labeled "TEL IN" and "TEL OUT". Also there was (1) one orange loop fiber optic cable that had (2) two connectors with green caps and with one labeled "TEL IN" and one labeled "SBS".

My question is do I just use the one with the two connectors and connect the "TEL IN" to the PSE and the "SBS" to the VRM? Is the other cable with one connector just to remain capped off? And do i acutally have to take the loop apart and connect it to the cd changer fiber optic to make this "ring"?

6> No poblems removing the stalk plug and replacing with the stalk.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
ok i found some bulletins that are really starting to make more sense to me. the loop for my car i think is supposed to look like this:

comand > cd changer > phone > vcm > comand

two quick questions:

1> im at work right now and cant look but i am assuming my stock loop looks like this:

comand > cd changer > comand

i should be able to loop everything (comand, cd changer, phone and vcm) without removing the comand, no?

2> what about teleaid? isnt that supposed to be in my loop also? do i configure the loop like this:

comand > cd changer > teleaid > phone > vcm > comand

·
worst mod in BW history
27,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Brook! Now all you need is a 2 wheeler to carry that phone around. let me know if it works.....Thats next on my agenda

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
nah homey, once this is all hooked up ill grab one of the kits from www.mikbox.com and i can use whatever phone i want in there (well from his list of non-mb phones)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding. Us West Coast guys don't get our lazy butts out of bed until you NYers are at lunch....

Anyways, I believe the two cables are an either/or connection. Since you're using the optional VRM, it appears that you're supposed to use the two-connector cable to attach the TEL side to the PSE and the SBS side to the VRM. If you don't have the VRM, you use the single-connector cable instead. The TEL side is identical on both, but the 2-connector side only routes the phone signals correctly if the VRM is attached.

As for the loop, the instruction manual has a diagram that shows the sequence as:

Radio->TeleAid->CD Changer->Phone->VRM->Radio

And again, as I posted earlier, if your car has never had a phone activated in it, you may still need to have the dealer activate the COMAND feature.

Good luck,
Mark

·
worst mod in BW history
27,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did anyone read Franks publication on the phone install? If I have the phone option on my radio, does that mean I have the pse installed?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts