Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second post, I expect to be a regular participant in this great forum. Does any one know where to by a CD changer that is compatible with the the audio 20 system? Would a NEO changer be compatible? or, should by an IPOD and connect it to the Head Unit?

Unfortunately, my car came without one [:(!]

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CD Changer Question

I guess all of your cars came with a changer! What is the best resource, Crutchfield? I know the stealership withh ask for an arm and a leg. Granted if you can afford an SLK350, you can afford it, but I hate to overpay for anything!

Help!

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
BAZMAN - 4/3/2005 6:12 AM

This is my second post, I expect to be a regular participant in this great forum. Does any one know where to by a CD changer that is compatible with the the audio 20 system? Would a NEO changer be compatible? or, should by an IPOD and connect it to the Head Unit?

Unfortunately, my car came without one [:(!]

Thanks.
By far the easiest and simplest would be to install the iPOD socket. It costs very little and can be done in less than an hour.

Installing a CD changer is something I did last week as paid work. This is what I did.
--------------------------------

- remove chrome strip above glovebox
- take out 3 screws and put them in screw organizer
- remove right door sill
- remove right hanad side passenger kick panel (vertical panel - one screw )
- remove underside panel from under glovebox and disconnect 2 cables - remove 3 screws and place in organiser tray
- remover 2 underside screws for glovebox and place in organiser tray

In case you are wondering .... all of these screws are different.

- remove glovebox
- in right side of empty space find main power cables (going vertical) and trace hand under dashboard till about the height of the air vent and you will find the CD stacker power cable coiled up and taped to the main trunk of cables in that area. You will need to fumble around till you can feel the connector and then gently pull it from its taped bundle. It should come out without cutting anything.

- In the left side insert hand into the back of the radio and pull out the main power/optical header for the radio. This reveals the fibre optic cables.

Since I worked on the Australian version (obviously it is also mirror image) I cant tell you if you need to buy fibre optics or not. I did buy optical cables. Maybe you dont have to. So I have to stop there.

But you get the idea.

To install CD changer drive
-------------------

Mount drive into cradle. Punch out holes on the bottom right of the glovebox and one at the rear that accepts the tongue of the cradle.

4 holes at the top of the glovebox are the hangers for the changer cradle. The rear one is a support and the bottom right one is for the cables.

The side trim piece hides the bottom cable hole.

iPod socket install is like this
--------------------------------------
- remove door sill
- remove kick plate (small vertical trim panel near door
- remove dashboard end cover plate
- punch out the round hole held in with 2 tabs
- install cable (main junction should be in cable tray under door sill)
- put trim back.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Miroj, any photos of the install? I would much rather go with the iPOD setup, it is much more convenient. Where do you place the iPOD? Any photos would be greatly appreciated. How much money are we talking about here?

Regards.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted ipodmycar.com, they say they have no information on an iPOD connection for the new SLK, is this any different from any of the other MB systems? I have the Audio 20 on my car.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
BAZMAN - 4/4/2005 6:59 AM

Thanks Miroj, any photos of the install? I would much rather go with the iPOD setup, it is much more convenient. Where do you place the iPOD? Any photos would be greatly appreciated. How much money are we talking about here?

Regards.
The SLK and C-Class are prewired for the AUX port (also called iPOD port). The last link of the cable is missing. That is the only thing I thought would be needed to please most people. I never actually stopped to take photos or even to see where the hole for the iPOD should go.

To see if your radio can actually go into the AUX mode hold down the CD button (or any button) for 3 seconds and it will flip over to AUX INPUT.

Below is a link to a document. It has all of the photos.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~tobex/sound/AUXcable.pdf

I wish I had more time to take photos - the PDF will have to do for now.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
dvanlinge - 4/8/2005 11:32 AM

miroj where can I get the aux cable and do you have a part number?

Thanks..
Its such an old part number. It can be bought at the dealer or from Steve @ mbenznl.com

BTW - that AUX mod also applies to new C-Class.

A 210 440 50 05 - Cable harness - Walkman

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Miroj, I think I will wait for the MB iPOD interface now, I hope that it is for real!

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
BAZMAN - 4/9/2005 2:07 AM

Thanks Miroj, I think I will wait for the MB iPOD interface now, I hope that it is for real!
If you mean the original iPOD setup then I seem to recall that is also running on the AUX port only it has a new instrument cluster menu.

If you are talking about the ICELINK then you will need to ditch your CD stacker.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
RE: CD Changer (Aux Port)

Was reading the PDF's about the AUX port, and I was under the impression that the car came with the AUX port already in the glove box, but after reading the PDF's am now wondering if this is true or not??? [?]

Soo can anyone answer, will a European built SLK 200 come with the AUX port already in the glove box, or will I have to purchase one of the cables to connect up the AUX port to the radio itself?? [V]

Thanks!! [8)]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts

beverage - 4/11/2005 4:05 PM

Was reading the PDF's about the AUX port, and I was under the impression that the car came with the AUX port already in the glove box, but after reading the PDF's am now wondering if this is true or not??? [?]

Soo can anyone answer, will a European built SLK 200 come with the AUX port already in the glove box, or will I have to purchase one of the cables to connect up the AUX port to the radio itself?? [V]

Thanks!! [8)]
Hi Bev, on my 350 with Comand, it comes as standard, but I think it depends on which head unit you go for.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts

beverage - 4/11/2005 11:05 AM

Thanks!! [8)]
AUX port is always installed in cars with COMAND. It is optional for RADIO HU's since 2005. Only the fibre optic radio 10 and Radio 30 didnt have AUX ports.

Hold down the CDC button on your HU to see if your unit has AUX capability.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts

miroj - 4/12/2005 9:28 PM

AUX port is always installed in cars with COMAND. It is optional for RADIO HU's since 2005. Only the fibre optic radio 10 and Radio 30 didnt have AUX ports.

Hold down the CDC button on your HU to see if your unit has AUX capability.
I don't actually have my car yet [;)] so will try that when I get it. But since I haven't ordered the COMMAND function, I'm guessing that I won't have the AUX port. [:(]

Will have to have a word with my dealer, about getting it fitted!!

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Ah, would be nice if they released that IPOD adapter thingie. I sure could use it this summer if my GF want's to take her music on our road trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please check out this item in our forum re the new SLK and Dension IceLink.

There are plans for a Dension system that supports the Mercedes "MOST" system sometime in Q2 of this year, 2005,which will be cpmaptible in the new SLK

http://forum.ipodmycar.com/viewtopic.php?t=24

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
ipodmycar.com - 4/23/2005 12:13 AM

There are plans for a Dension system that supports the Mercedes "MOST" system sometime in Q2 of this year, 2005,which will be cpmaptible in the new SLK

How does this differ from the Ipod Integration Kit that MB is planning to offer this summer?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
malibuite - 4/25/2005 3:10 AM

ipodmycar.com - 4/23/2005 12:13 AM

How does this differ from the Ipod Integration Kit that MB is planning to offer this summer?
I originally thought it would be limited to 6 playlists and 21 songs but I have heard it is more intelligent than a CD player module.

The ICE-LINK performs the function of a CD player but then gives you the advantage of the iPOD. The only difference is that it will be available for older cars where the MB solution probably wont.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts