Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ML320 and last week the 6-disc CD cartridge got stuck in the CD changer. The dealer was able to extract it, but said the changer needed to be replaced. $900+ new, $450 reconditioned, both with a 1-year warranty. He said they no longer send them out to be repaired.

This sounds excessive to me and I know others have had this problem. BTW, I tried to search but everything I searched for returned 0 hits.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
352 Posts
The same thing happened to me. You can find the MB version on ebay or other internet vendors for much less. I am pretty sure the 2000 requires the fiber version of the changer. The replacement of the CD changer is extremely easy to do yourself.

PS I paid $400 for a new one.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
110 Posts
HI sally, I just took my stock changer out of my 2000 ML320. If you don't find a fix, and you still have the original mounting bracket for your changer, I'll sell you mine for way cheaper than what they're asking. PM me If your interested.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,560 Posts
sally...had the same problem about a month ago. I had to take the changer apart in order to get my CD's back !!

After looking at the options you mentioned, I decided on a 30GB iPOD Photo which holds 7500 songs and haven't looked back. No more going to the back to change out magazines either !!

Total costs..$350.00 for iPOD...$30.00 for iTRIP to broadcast to FM and $30.00 for a hardshell case for iPOD..........I LOVE IT !!

·
Registered
2000 ML320
110 Posts
springerfever - 5/13/2005 3:14 PM

sally...had the same problem about a month ago. I had to take the changer apart in order to get my CD's back !!

After looking at the options you mentioned, I decided on a 30GB iPOD Photo which holds 7500 songs and haven't looked back. No more going to the back to change out magazines either !!

Total costs..$350.00 for iPOD...$30.00 for iTRIP to broadcast to FM and $30.00 for a hardshell case for iPOD..........I LOVE IT !!
I have a 20gig Ipod hooked up through an interface with my pioneer head unit. I had Itrip at first, but I sold It. The reception I got on the FM stations In the truck where Horrible(this was with the MCS).

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
I tried several differnt manufacturers of FM transmitters with my MCS...same problem...noisy. I'll be going the cassette adapter route myself. I just can't see spending $260 on a fiber to RCA converter, especially when I paid less than $150 for my MP3 player!

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,560 Posts
you know here in the Atlanta area, the FM stations are pretty crowded but I get excellent results with 87.9 as my iTRIP frequency.

If you look at some forum links in the iPOD lounge they describe how to improve the iTRIP reception by making an external antenna. That might solve your problem.

I would love a direct interface where the headunit would control the iPOD, but short of buying the Pioneer, I haven't found a better solution.

Maybe iCRUZE will come up with a ML interface. Till then, I just love having the selections at your fingertips and being able to also listen to at home and work......

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,143 Posts
Mercedes Benz CD Changers SUCK! Mine was bad from the get go. You can use a flat ruler ( those of us in the printing industry use a line gauge) to release a lever next to the cartridge so you can get your CD's back. Throw the POS in the trash (or in the parking lot of your nearest crookedest dealer).

Those of you who were smarter than me to buy the iPOD seem to have it all worked out... NO hassles and you have purchased a GOOD product. As for me, I bought a CD changer on eBay for $189.00 and it works great for now. Since I own 2 Apple Computers (an iMac G4 and a 20" iMac G5), you would think I would own an iPod by now[:0].

The last thing I would do is reward Mercedes for their failure by buying another one of these ticking P'sOS for that ridiculous amount of money! You could almost buy 3 iPods for that!

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
springerfever - 5/13/2005 7:05 PM
I would love a direct interface where the headunit would control the iPOD, but short of buying the Pioneer, I haven't found a better solution.
You might consider this

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1208495

1 - 9 of 9 Posts