Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL500/Sold 2011 C300, 1999 E320, 1994 E320 Cabriolet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

I have a 2000 SL500 that has a problem recognizing the CD changer. It is an intermitted problem that never happens when I bring it in to the dealer. What happens is that it will say “No CD Changer� unless we turn off the car and start it again. Then it will work. This problem will happen at least twice a week and we can usually can tell it is going to happen when we turn the car off with the CD changer playing and when we turn it back on the radio is on. We next press the CD button and get the “No CD Changer�. We are still on factory warranty but the dealer says there is nothing wrong with the system. We also have an integrated phone system that is not being used, I don’t know if there is a connection here.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Is your CD changer cartridge full? Some changers have a bug where if the magazine is not ...

Is your CD changer cartridge full? Some changers have a bug where if the magazine is not full, errors can occur. If so, then...

You probably have a faulty component on the D2B ring, or a kink on your D2B cable somewhere. If your dealer (RAB I assume) is willing, have them block the PSE (phone controller) out of the D2B ring using a cable connector. Try driving this way for a few days and see if your CD changer malfunction still happens. If it does, then try each item on the ring to eliminate it as a possible problem. The reason I recommend doing the phone first is because 1) I see them fail often, 2) you don't use it so wouldn't notice it's failure, 3) besides TeleAid it's probably the only other device on the ring.

If you're dealer isn't willing to help diagnose the system, you can purchase one of the connectors from the parts department for a few dollars, and take things out of the loop yourself.

RAB really sucks.

-s-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts