Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a CD Changer from Crutchfiled! It is for the 2002 C 240 and is fiber optic. When I went to go get it installed, the stereo shop sent me back to get a Mercedes special part called the (Y) Adapter to complete the install. Supposedly I was supposed to get the one that was not for the Bose system. I did purchase the NON-Bose (Y adapter) and it wasn't the correct one, so I had to go back to the Dealer and purchase the (Y) adapter that was for the Bose stereo, which did fit. Now I do not have anything in my car that tells me I have a Bose Head Unit or Stereo, but it did fit. However the CD Changer would not cycle or Play. When I pressed the CD Changer Button on the Unit it said (NO CD CHANGER), but I can eject the cartridge from the Changer itself, so there is power there!

I went to the Merc dealership and talked to a lady that worked in service Department and she told me that the Head unit had to be programmed to turn the CD Changer option to on, (THIS IS SOME BULLSHIT).

My question to all you is this,

Is this correct or not! Not to doubt a woman that works there as a profession, but why would the Unit have to set and programmed to on, shouldn't be just plug and play!

Seems logical, but if Mercs did this on purpose to get more money----That's some Bullshit to the 10th Power!

Please let me know if this is correct or if anyone has experienced the same problem.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Yes, it's true...

My question to all you is this,

Is this correct or not! Not to doubt a woman that works there as a profession, but why would the Unit have to set and programmed to on, shouldn't be just plug and play!
It is the case for nearly all of the MBzs now actually, due to the move to the fibre optic system. The D2B ring needs to be setup to recognise the CD changer in order for it to work properly.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
You'll need the fiber optic cable and bracket, neither of which come with the car or the c...

You'll need the fiber optic cable and bracket, neither of which come with the car or the changer. If you just install it without resetting the fiber loop it will work for a while and eventually complain. My dealer installed the whole mess for $120 so it's not a huge expense.

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon
76 Posts
Re: Yes, it's true...

It is the case for nearly all of the MBzs now actually, due to the move to the fibre optic system. The D2B ring needs to be setup to recognise the CD changer in order for it to work properly.
Not in my experience. Installed CD changer and it worked just fine. No codes, MB setup and all controls on HU and steering wheel work fine.

·
Registered
E500 Sport
61 Posts
i installed my own cd changer "OEM Alpine" with the bose Y adapter and it worked fine and ...

i installed my own cd changer "OEM Alpine" with the bose Y adapter and it worked fine and has not had a problem for over a year now, so maybe that changer you bought is not compatible with your OEM system

1 - 5 of 5 Posts