Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 clk 430 convertible, My 6 cd changer doesn't seem to be reading all 6 slots. I see the message NO CD. It acts as if there is no CD. Has anyone experienced this before what should i do to fix it. Or do i just need to replace the CD changer.

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
When I got my first CLK, one thing I quickly surmised is that the CD changer is a total piece of shit. (I was right.) People have had various problems with their CD changers, few have been lucky enough not to experience issues. I ended up getting a replacement OEM CD changer off of a same era SL500.

...and that didn't help, much. For me personally, the mechanical turd would not read CD-R/RW CDs that I burned on my own, not consistently anyway. Some days it would work, some days it would tell me to fuck myself. Store bought CDs usually worked fine, 90% of the time, but I stopped using those because a couple of CDs ended up being damaged.

Some CLKs have an auxiliary port that you can use to plug in an mp3 player, this port should be located in the glove box. (I don't believe ANY of the 1999 model year cars had the auxiliary port, and I'm not too sure about the 2000 cars either.) Check yours for one, if you don't have this port, then I'd suggest getting a 3rd party CD changer.

Don't fret though, the OEM CD changer isn't useless, you can use it as a toilet in case you get stuck on the road and have no where else to take a shit. The good thing is mine had three 6-disc cartridges, so if needed, I could take up to three extra dumps.

Other uses include chucking the cartridges at people that make you angry, dumping fries into the cartridges as french fry holders, or for use in the home, as coasters. The CD changer itself can also be crapped in, or converted into a toaster. Myself, I painted a girly face on the CD changer and yell at it whenever I'm frustrated. Now when all the guys talk about their girlfriends giving them shit, I don't have to feel left out. IF THEY ONLY KNEW! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

Best bet, take it to a reputable car-audio place and have them install something in dash, instead of having it in the trunk.

brb - my girlfriend is being a bitch.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
that was an awesome post. but unfortunately its correct. this is my second clk and each one has given me issues with the cd changer. the problem i believe or has been one of my problems in the past is the fiberoptic cable. it can get dirty or even wiggled to where it is not making a good optical connection and therefore the system thinks there are no cd's installed. good luck fiddling with yours to make it work, i decided just to forget about it and will be installing an aftermarket cd player that can also do mp3's ect and is completely accessible from the drivers seat, instead of going to the trunk to change out cd's...

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 out of the 6 slots work for me slot 1 and 2 for some reason dont work... was hoping for a solution but i guess everyone has a problem with their cd changer

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
I gave up on my 6 disc changer a few years ago. Now use the Aux plug in the glove compartment from which I ran a cable through the ashtray area (removed the ashtray since I don't smoke) and plugged in an mini Ipod. Clean and holds much more than 6 discs. ;)

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
It's this machine people use to put these CD's into to play music... it came after records, 8 track tapes and cassettes. lol

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
Mine did the same thing you're describing, the only thing is mine wasn't consistent slots it was just random. I would leave the same 6 CDs loaded and one day I could use none of them, the next 5 of them, the next 3... it was an exercise in frustration.

I replaced it with a Kenwood 1-Din receiver, which also added the auxiliary port that my CLK didn't come with (command systems only in the 2002 W208 apparently).

Haven't looked back, I spent the extra $100 or so and I kept my steering wheel controls. Also bought the PAC thing for the balanced output so I didn't replace anything except the head unit.

I'm not thrilled with my choice in head unit, I think Kenwood went out of their way to make a terrible user interface, but I'm so happy to not have to deal with that lousy changer anymore.

·
Registered
Walking. (Previously: SL55, CLK320, 300E)
42 Posts
It's this machine people use to put these CD's into to play music... it came after records, 8 track tapes and cassettes. lol
But my CLK has the cassette player also. Can't remember the last time I saw a actual cassette tape.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mine did the same thing you're describing, the only thing is mine wasn't consistent slots it was just random. I would leave the same 6 CDs loaded and one day I could use none of them, the next 5 of them, the next 3... it was an exercise in frustration.

I replaced it with a Kenwood 1-Din receiver, which also added the auxiliary port that my CLK didn't come with (command systems only in the 2002 W208 apparently).

Haven't looked back, I spent the extra $100 or so and I kept my steering wheel controls. Also bought the PAC thing for the balanced output so I didn't replace anything except the head unit.

I'm not thrilled with my choice in head unit, I think Kenwood went out of their way to make a terrible user interface, but I'm so happy to not have to deal with that lousy changer anymore.
what items did you buy other than the head unit. im asking because i will be doing this in the near future and would like to retain the steering wheel controls as well.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
what items did you buy other than the head unit. im asking because i will be doing this in the near future and would like to retain the steering wheel controls as well.
Anally saving all of my email receipts pays off for once... these are all the paid items from Crutchfield with item # included. Then crutchfield adds a bunch of freebies to the list, instruction sheets and other useless things.

One thing I'll say is that the Wire harness had one bad wiring arrangement that I had to pull and put somewhere else. If I remembered what it was I'd gladly tell you, but my memory is fuzzy, I think it was the ignition lead though.

Item Description Ship Qty B/O Qty Price Amount
113KDCX895 Kenwood KDC-X895 CD Receiver
What's Included 1 0 239.99 239.99
12040VW12 Motorola/Male to Volk/Female Antenna Adapter
What's Included 1 0 4.99 4.99
120701784 Volkswagen Wire Harness receiver, 1987-up 1 0 12.99 12.99
127SOEM4 PAC SOEM-4 Universal Interface
What's Included 1 0 14.99 14.99
127SWICAN2 PAC SWI-CAN2 Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface
What's Included 1 0 69.99 69.99
127SWIJACK PAC SWI-JACK JVC/Alp/Clari/Ken Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Anally saving all of my email receipts pays off for once... these are all the paid items from Crutchfield with item # included. Then crutchfield adds a bunch of freebies to the list, instruction sheets and other useless things.

One thing I'll say is that the Wire harness had one bad wiring arrangement that I had to pull and put somewhere else. If I remembered what it was I'd gladly tell you, but my memory is fuzzy, I think it was the ignition lead though.

Item Description Ship Qty B/O Qty Price Amount
113KDCX895 Kenwood KDC-X895 CD Receiver
What's Included 1 0 239.99 239.99
12040VW12 Motorola/Male to Volk/Female Antenna Adapter
What's Included 1 0 4.99 4.99
120701784 Volkswagen Wire Harness receiver, 1987-up 1 0 12.99 12.99
127SOEM4 PAC SOEM-4 Universal Interface
What's Included 1 0 14.99 14.99
127SWICAN2 PAC SWI-CAN2 Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface
127SWIJACK PAC SWI-JACK JVC/Alp/Clari/Ken Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface
awesome! you needed two steering wheel interfaces? im thinking about going with a double din unit an trashing the tray.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
awesome! you needed two steering wheel interfaces? im thinking about going with a double din unit an trashing the tray.
Unfortunately you need 2. 1 for the standard steering wheel controls that work the radio, and the other one to warp the standard to work with cars like Mercedes.

At least that was how it was as of when I ordered mine, I know they update their product line occasionally so maybe with some luck there's a single box now.

I think you can do double din and keep the ash try/lighter. You just loose that empty thing under the radio.

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
Is there a picture tutorial available for the process of installing all this stuff that you guys are talking about? I'd like to do this in the near future, but I don't know shit about car audio.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
I've never seen a complete tutorial for the whole thing, but when ordering from crutchfield the parts came with pretty good instructions,with the one noteable mistake on the wiring harness. That was a significant hassle that took some time and a voltmeter to fix.

If you're just doing the head unit and you consider yourself a relatively good tinkerer I'd just say go for it, it's really a pretty easy job. More importantly it's a no cut job. At no point should you be cutting any original equipment in the car, that's plug and play. You'll need to do a little cutting on the steering controls, but only the after market parts. So worst case you take it to a buddy and get it put back the way it was.

If you're looking into one of the complete re-wires I'd say pay to get it done, now you're in much more difficult territory and you're taking out and working around relatively delicate trim items. But it's really all about your comfort level.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts