Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. I just bought a 1998 C43. I have not had a chance to drive it extensively. Maybe this weekend. The stock radio appears to be CD ready. I gather that the CD player installs in the trunk. Where is the cable for the CD? I've looked and looked and I can't find it. The local M-B dealer wants $1,050 for an installation. This is riduculous. I'd like to do it myself. Any suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Hi, all. I just bought a 1998 C43. I have not had a chance to drive it extensively. Maybe this weekend. The stock radio appears to be CD ready. I gather that the CD player installs in the trunk. Where is the cable for the CD? I've looked and looked and I can't find it. The local M-B dealer wants $1,050 for an installation. This is riduculous. I'd like to do it myself. Any suggestions? TIA
Look behind the trunk liner (or in the pocket) on the right side of the trunk. That's where the changer goes.

-s-

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
I have to say...

I don't especially rate the stock radio, and I don't like carrying my valuable CDs in the car. My 43 came with an upgraded sound system - Amplifier the size of a skateboard in the nearside rear of the trunk/boot - and it sounds astonishingly good, even to my ears both schooled and damaged in clubland. I took out the deeply annoying Alpine head unit (press the UPPER button to REDUCE the volume? Duu-uuuh!), and slotted in a Sony MP3 head.

If you have a computer, and a pile of music CDs, then the cost of one of the massive variety of MP3 heads from almost any maker, plus a CD burner for your PC, will more than pay back in terms of avoiding wear and tear on your CDs (or theft risk): I can get about 6 CD's worth of music on one CD-R and the Sony lets me hop around the tracklist very easily, so half a dozen CD-R's kept in the centre console gets the job done very well indeed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts