Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I got a CD changer from EBay model MC3198. When I hooked up power to the unit and hit the Eject button on the unit, the magazine wouldn't eject. It looked like the magazine was jammed in the unit. Does this mean the changer is defective.

I connected the fibre optic cable and irt continued to say "No CD Changer" when I hit selected CD from my head unit. No matter what I di, the magazine would not eject.

Do I have to have my MB reprogrammed for the eject button of the changer unit to work?

Any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
You should be able to eject the cartridge whether the system sees the unit or not.

The ...

You should be able to eject the cartridge whether the system sees the unit or not.

The CD changers should not be shipped with the magazine installed, or else they get jammed. Now you'll have to disassemble the whole CD changer to get the magazine out.

But that's probably not important, since you have other problems ("No CD Changer" error is something more than the cartridge being jammed in).

-s-

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Schorchie, is it possible that if the CD Changer is bad, then it could be producing the me...

Schorchie, is it possible that if the CD Changer is bad, then it could be producing the message "No CD Changer".

I was under the impression that all E320 which shipped in the yr 2000 did not require reprogramming by a Mercedes dealer for that message to go away.

By the way, is the reprogramming software available somewhere. And is the programming device a ordinary laptop running windows. Or is the programmer a special unit with its own dedicated software?

Thanks for any info you may have

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
Not to insult your intelligence, did you hook up the power cable also? The fiber optic cab...

Not to insult your intelligence, did you hook up the power cable also? The fiber optic cable does not carry an power. Since you can't even get the cartridge to eject, it sounds like you're not getting any power. The power cable is very skinny and probably zip-tied in the left of the the trunk to all those wires for safe keeping. Whatever you do, don't take apart the changer. That will not solve your problem.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scorchie:

As an Electrical engineer by profession, I certainly do know that I have to h...

Scorchie:

As an Electrical engineer by profession, I certainly do know that I have to hook up power to a unit to give it the capability to eject the magazine. I did that. I even used a voltmeter across the terminals of the connector and it did have voltage.

As an engineer I recognize that I have limitations in expressing myself well. So I am going to try again. After I hooked up the unit, connected the fiber optic device (it has a click to indicate that the fiber optic cables have locked). I heard the click. I still kept seeing the message: No CD player. My question is: is it likely for this message to persist since the CD could be bad. Or is it that this car needs to be reprogrammed after the hookup of a good unit.

If so then my question is: does any one know of where the programming software could be available etc. I am also very much into computers (professionally) and I thought if I could get my hands on a copy of the software, I could program it myself. There are some DB9 and DB15 connectors in the car and they are probably the connectors for the programming device.

Thanks in anticipation of your answers

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
No programming needed. I just did the exact installation you are attempting with no progra...

No programming needed. I just did the exact installation you are attempting with no programming needed from the dealer or anyone. If you connected both the power and fiber optic cables and you have no power and no recognition from the head unit, then you have a bad CD changer. Most likely a power problem considering it won't even eject the cartridge.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Scorchie:

Scorchie:

As an Electrical engineer by profession, I certainly do know that I have to hook up power to a unit to give it the capability to eject the magazine. I did that. I even used a voltmeter across the terminals of the connector and it did have voltage.

As an engineer I recognize that I have limitations in expressing myself well. So I am going to try again. After I hooked up the unit, connected the fiber optic device (it has a click to indicate that the fiber optic cables have locked). I heard the click. I still kept seeing the message: No CD player. My question is: is it likely for this message to persist since the CD could be bad. Or is it that this car needs to be reprogrammed after the hookup of a good unit.

If so then my question is: does any one know of where the programming software could be available etc. I am also very much into computers (professionally) and I thought if I could get my hands on a copy of the software, I could program it myself. There are some DB9 and DB15 connectors in the car and they are probably the connectors for the programming device.

Thanks in anticipation of your answers

I think you've misread the posts... I didn't make the suggestions you attribute to me.

-s-

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scorchie, extremely sorry. Shouldn't have been you.

Scorchie, extremely sorry. Shouldn't have been you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All:
Hi,

I have the same problem too. Please let me know if you have any tips to get it works. Thanks.

Regards,
JOe

I got a CD changer from EBay model MC3198. When I hooked up power to the unit and hit the Eject button on the unit, the magazine wouldn't eject. It looked like the magazine was jammed in the unit. Does this mean the changer is defective.

I connected the fibre optic cable and irt continued to say "No CD Changer" when I hit selected CD from my head unit. No matter what I di, the magazine would not eject.

Do I have to have my MB reprogrammed for the eject button of the changer unit to work?

Any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
CLK320
41 Posts
Check fiber connectors

As an electrical engineer, I'm sure that your've already done this, but just incase make sure that the fiber optic connectors are clean; it's a good bet that the ones on the cable are clean, but who knows about the unit from ebay.

Also, check the back of the radio to make sure that the other end of the fiber is also connected, I've heard of some cases where that end was left disconnected at the factory.

-Bryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts