Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right area, but here goes.
I just got a 2001 SLK230 and found a reasonably priced CD changer on eBay. Now I'd like to get a mounting bracket to install it properly. Can anyone steer me in the right direction~ or does anyone have one for sale? The local dealership wants $153 for the part and $149 to install it. That's more than I paid for the changer!
Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
Trident - 4/7/2005 10:07 AM

Not sure if this is the right area, but here goes.
I just got a 2001 SLK230 and found a reasonably priced CD changer on eBay. Now I'd like to get a mounting bracket to install it properly. Can anyone steer me in the right direction~ or does anyone have one for sale? The local dealership wants $153 for the part and $149 to install it. That's more than I paid for the changer!
Any help appreciated.
The SLK changer bracket is the most expensive changer bracket in the whole Mercedes family. More than the S-class.

Why? It has SLK embossed on it.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
miroj - 4/7/2005 4:48 PM

It has SLK embossed on it.
Mine doesn't. It's just a plain black metal box that encloses the CD changer and bolts to the side and rear walls of the trunk. Maybe it was embossed some years and not others [?]

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a Mercedes bracket... It was mounted in the car when I bought it (the seller wouldn't part with the changer) and since I have MP3 Sirius I probably won't use it. email me if your interested and I'll send you picture of it and we can discuss price.
[email protected]
Mike

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed that some of them have the SLK embossed on the side. And the kit sometimes includes the cloth cover. I got a generic set of brackets that I was told "might" work for free (I told him that I'd take pics for his website if I used them) but would much rather have it look OEM~ especially since the car is still under warranty.
Even with the fancy lettering, I'm still surprised that they are the most expensive brackets. The ML's are certainly more specialized.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
The brackets do show up on eBay occasionally. I have been trying to buy one for a while now. A simple velcro strap installation works just fine, but the bracket helps to protect the cd changer from items in the trunk.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TXmudman - 4/7/2005 9:08 PM

The brackets do show up on eBay occasionally. I have been trying to buy one for a while now. A simple velcro strap installation works just fine, but the bracket helps to protect the cd changer from items in the trunk.
Been looking on eBay for a while.[:(] That's where I got the changer from. There's a guy who lives a few miles from me that had one with the bracket for auction, but he wanted too much ca$h and didn't seem to reliable with communications. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7964011544&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
If I get scammed by the guy that I won from, I might try to contact him again though (I'm still waiting to receive the changer that I won and paid for on Saturday).http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5763492082&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Those 2 changers look slightly different, are you sure they will both work in your SLK? The first one looks like mine, with the angled piece where the power and Fiber optic cables plug in. The second one (the one you bought, I think) looks like it has a square shaped attachment where the power cable plugs in. It also looks like it has some kind of serial cable connection that I don't think mine has. Does your year SLK have the Fiber Optic connection or the older system (serial type cable?)?

Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
You know, most Home Depot have zip ties in larger sizes. I just dremeled a couple of slots in the trunk wall cover and ran a large zip tie thru it. Not too elegant, but what do you expect for $ 1.49 ?
Life is to short to just be pissin money away on no good cause.

Regards

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy trying to sell his changer w/bracket for $359 hasn't gotten a bid in three attempts to sell. That should be the correct bracket for my '01SLK. The goober just won't reply to my emails.
The one I bought does seem to have a bracket with it in the picture, but it's definitely not the correct one for the SLK.
But for $137, I really didn't care.[;)] As long as the changer works and fits in the SLK bracket.

I do have the fiber optic setup and the seller of mine said that this was a fiber optic unit. Not 100% sure I believe him, but we'll see when it gets here.

I've had contact with a few people who informed me that there are two different models of fiber optic cd changers. Some say that both will work. Some say only one will work (unfortunately, one person that says that is at my local MB dealership). I figure I can sell the unit if it doesn't work in my car and get the correct one.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MAX BLAKELY - 4/7/2005 10:40 PM

You know, most Home Depot have zip ties in larger sizes. I just dremeled a couple of slots in the trunk wall cover and ran a large zip tie thru it. Not too elegant, but what do you expect for $ 1.49 ?
Life is to short to just be pissin money away on no good cause.

Regards
LOL. I thought about that too. But since I'm still under factory warranty and I'm getting an extended warranty to extend for 4 more years, if I want them to believe that it's a factory install, it needs to look like a factory install.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Try contacting MB of Bakersfield (California). They have good prices on parts and can take orders via phone and will ship it to you too.

I think I bought my bracket from them -- I don't remember how much though. The bracket I had didn't have "SLK" embossed.

You can install the bracket and changer youself.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Does the cd changer have mounting holes on the back of it? Like those used to hang stuff on screws.
I took off my whole cd changer when i just built my amp rack in it's place. Maybe you can use a similar design and attach the cd changer instead of how i attached my amp... I used 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF wood, 2 bolts and some carpeting, though i'm not sure how handy you are with a saw. All in all you can make a carpeted bracket for around $10 or so.
Check out this pic, maybe it will help...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts