Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W220 (S500) Sedan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disassembled my CD CHANGER MB PART #:A 002 820 7989 MODEL: MC3198 that came with my 2000 (W220) S500. I think this is an Alipne unit but on the web I have also seen references to a Becker unit with the same MC3198 part number. The volume of posts associated with Alpine is much higher so perhaps by a popular vote contest it would seem that the actual OEM manufacturer is likely Alpine. Can't find any info parts info on their web site though.

Does anybody know who the OEM manufacturer ACTUALLY is or did MBZ have both Becker and Alpine make these units for 2000 model year S500 W220 Chassis? This is a bit confusing.

It was intermittantly displaying NO CD or NO MAGAZINE and often not EJECTING THE MAGAZINE EITHER. I was refered the following informative post and disassembled my CD CHANGER the construction of the case was similar but I have the D2B OPTICAL LOOP system so the actual disassembly was slighty different in that the outer cover extended over the rear as well as the top, left and right.(more screws and items needed to be removed)

CD Changer Repair : Miko's Weblog

Everything went well excpet that when I was trying to remove the front cover these 2 plastic clips fell off inside the CD CHANGER CASE and I have no idea where they specifically were installed.

So if anybody knows where these 2 clips are supposed to go or if there is EXPLODED PARTS DIAGRAM of the CD CHANGER or PART DOCUMENTATION from the VENDOR I believe perhaps may be (Alpine or Becker) that would be great.

I believe they are installed where I have shown them (UPPER RIGHT AND LOWER LEFT PHOTO) at the edge of the metal case near the top of the front cover where the opening for the MAGAZINE is located.

Thanks for any ideas or insight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 211.087 w/Sport Package
17 Posts
Unfortunatly I can not help with the parts depicted as I have no access to CD changer individual parts. But I can tell you that your changer is manufactured by Alpine. The serial number stamped in the chassis will also start with AL. That is the easiest way to know.

·
Registered
2000 W220 (S500) Sedan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the post....Alpine is not exactly helpful in any information on the unit. Even to find out just what the lubricant used on the CD CHANGER mechanism is...looks like plain old lithium grease.

CAlled them and left a message for some dude in OEM Support in NJ just simply asking for an exploded parts diagram and so far not even a reply. (PET PEEVE what is is with people these days completley blowing off simple phone messages I would REPERMIND anyone in my staff failing to timely return any such inquiry even with just I can't help you.)

So will just have to wing it I guess. Alpine does seem to outsource (THE WORST THING TO HIT our BUSINESS MINDSET TODAY) their parts diagrams to another web site and can be used for what is seems their standard RETAIL product offering but NOTHING on anything as OLD as this or maybe due to the fact it is OEM. I dont know what the problem is not as if MB is going to repair them so why not have all information availble especially since this product is EOL....THANK GOODNESS we soon will only insert solid state memory cards and no need for a CLUNKY MECHANICAL NIGHTMARE as a CD CHANGER stone age technology and difficult to maintain in auto environments.

So if anybody runs into anybody at ALPINE who actually knows anything or is helpful (exept to offer to send my unit in for REPAIR) that would be cool. Hit me up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 W220 (S500) Sedan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be nice if the insert image would just be set to browze the hard disk rather than asking for a link and then having to go to adavnced options to attach an image..Also how can one annotate the uploaded images?

Pictures 1 to 3 show the location of S101 and S102 micro switches which indicate if a CD is LOADED INTO THE PLAYER or UNLOADED (INTO THE MAGAZINE) problem with mine was it would get stuck in the middle W/O any switched pressed. I believe this was do to a lack of lubricant on teh cam and transport mechanism metal to metal contacts slowing the inertia down resluting in the mechanical mechanism stopping before completely LOADING OR UNLOADING THE CD...in this condition I get a NO MAGAZINE ERROR and pressing the EJECT BUTTON ON THE CD CHANGER WOULD NOT eject the MAGAZINE as the CD CHANGER really does not know what STATE it is in (LOADEDOR UNLOADED CD) if one of the other micro swtich is not activated.

Gently turning the big black gear with internal cam that acutates the micro switches will UNLOAD the CD into the MAGAZINE...after that you can rotate the approx 1" black gear shown in #5 photo left side. THis will move the pick mechanism up and down once moved to the down position it will then release the MAGAZINE so you can get your CD's and the MAGAZINE out of the CHANGER.

PICTURe 1 shows the cam mechanism which activates S102 and S101.

PICTURE 3 shows a close up of the CAM and the old dired out lubricant on the cam step up on the inside of the large black gear used to loand and unload a specific CD.

PICTURE 4 shows teh case components and the 2 clips shown between the front cover and the chassis. Those are the 2 clips that fell out when i was taking off the font bezel so I never saw where they came from they dropped down in the CD CHANGER CHASSIS case...so this si what I need to find out where these 2 clips actually go hence the NEED for a detailed parts diagram of the ALPINE MC 3198.

PICTURE 5 shows the 4 micro motors in the MC3198.
1.Center CD drive motor spins cd at correct speed.
2.Upper right CD LOAD AND UNLOAD drive motor (actuates the s102 and s101 micro switches telling mechanism that a CD is either loaded: S102 ACTUATED or UNLOADED S101 ACTUATED. The mechanism must not stop inbetween S101 and S102 as the player needs to know either the CD is LOADED OR NOT.
3.Botton Right Laser tracking tracks on the CD.
4.Center left MAGAZINE transport motor/EJECT MAGAZINE motor. THis motor moves the magazine moves the whole PLAYER laser mecanism up and down in order to select the proper CD #1 to #6. IT also ejects the magazine when it runs all the way to one end releasing the clip holding the magazine in the CD CHANGER MECHANISM.

SO now you know more than you ever wanted to know about the internals of the CD CHANGER and you can see why getting away from STONE AGE CD technology and using SOLID STATE MEMORY CARDS for music play back from your PDA or what have you is teh way to go...CD's are the NEXT 8 track and cassette and vinyl record or 45 to hit history.....

This sould be easy ALPINE MUST HAVE THE DIAGRAM SOME PLACE but finding an informed helpful person is difficlut if not impossible at this time.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
I ran into the problem of NO CD, EMPTY, two weeks ago and read the above threads and play with the micro switches and the mechanical seeking arm of the player and try to extend its seeking length to make sure the arm is long enough to seek into the magazine to detect the existence of the CD and put it back together without the two clips. During the process, I also examined the gears as in the Miko's weblog, everything is OK. The CD changer come back into LIFE and everything is OK as before. I did not lube with anything either b/c the lithium is still wet and I do not have the eject problem as ssnantucket. I did pull the 10 AMP fuse next to the amplifier to reset the the amp and the CD player after I install the CD changer. I saved my two clips and will try to install it as Big H recommended. I wish Big H can posted a pic.

·
Premium Member
1997 Mercedes SL500
111 Posts
ssnantucket,

Just finished repairing my Alpine changer on a 97 SL500. Internals are the same and the problem was similar. NO CD and EO1 errors that would sometimes reset after ejecting and reinserting the magazine. I tore it down and carefully lubed with thin oil around the big gear. Then I turned the disc loading motor shaft until I determined it was still engaged to the gear train. The thin oil broke the dried grease loose after several load /unload cycles and I also lubed the motor shaft hoping to reach its front shaft bearing.

It would appear that the "cause" of these failures is the buildup of friction in the drive train to the point where the motor stalls. If this is true, new thin lube for all points is the cure with a clean up and application of teflon or white grease later for the road.

While mechanicals are clearly a pain at least we can still salvage them.

Regards,

George Anderson, Baltimore, MD

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
>>Does anybody know who the OEM manufacturer ACTUALLY is or did MBZ have both Becker and Alpine make these units for 2000 model year S500 W220 Chassis? This is a bit confusing.<<

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone else who comes looking for the same information, I have read that if your unit's serial number begins with "AL", that signifies it is an Alpine unit.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
899 Posts
Thanks for a great post....

I somehow diconnected power and left the arm between the S101 and S102 switches.

With your pics and post, I was able to move the arm to the loaded position, pluged the unit back in, and it has worked like a champ.

Thank$ again for a gret post and for saving me yet another 1,000 US$...

What a great forum!

B

·
Registered
1 Posts
CD changer 820 7989

:)I just finished repairing my CD changer on a 01 SLK. The magazine was jammed. The post from ssnantucket help resolve the problem.. I tore it down lubed the big gear. Then I turned the disc loading motor shaft until the magazine unloaded.

Thanks for the photos.. saved me big $$$'s

Steve ( NJ )

·
Registered
2 Posts
What Lube / Oil should I use?

I have the same problem.
Merc CLK 2000
Audio 10 HeadUnit
MC3198 CD Changer

The headunit just says "No CD". When I put the magazine in the CD Changer it is never read by the changer. I have taken the CD Changer totally apart and can manually turn the big cog next to the S101 and S102 micro switches. The big cog is very very stiff to turn. It moves in one direction ok but it then becomes very difficult to move back the other way.

Can anyone recommend what Lube / Oil to use? I presume it is not WD40! But wanted to know what you can recommend. The stuff on it at the moment is white and quite dry.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I somehow diconnected power and left the arm between the S101 and S102 switches.

With your pics and post, I was able to move the arm to the loaded position, pluged the unit back in, and it has worked like a champ.

Thank$ again for a gret post and for saving me yet another 1,000 US$...

What a great forum!

B
+1

In my case £££'s Many thanks ssnantucket

·
Registered
'02 CLK 430 cabrio
41 Posts
works as a charm

In my case the issue was NO MAGAZINE and the cause was the white worm gear shown in the pix that precede this post. The one white gear in the corner had come disengaged from the other white worm gear and thus the magazine was not being detected. A simple adjust to make them mesh again did the trick. Thanks to the post by Miko as an inspiration. Saved $$$ for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts