Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 430
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I need your help because My CLK 430 is not Pre -wired so I bought on Ebay a MB CD changer but it is without optical wire.
MB dealer is not able to give me the cablle so can somebody help me and read on your cars the code number for the cable?
My radio is A 208 820 05 89
CD changer is A 0028 20 79 89
Thanks a lot
Alberto
P.s Sorry for my BAD ENGLISH

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
Why won't the dealer give you a cable? But... your car should be prewired with fiber optic...

Why won't the dealer give you a cable? But... your car should be prewired with fiber optic unless you are putting it into an older CLK that does not have the fiber optic network. And, by the way, you can't just by the fiber optic cable. You have to buy the whole stereo/communications wiring harness which runs about $300. If you just need a fiber optic cable, you can get them at Fry's fairly cheap in the computer section as high speed computer networks use the same fiber optic cables as MB uses with the exact same plugs.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Why won't the dealer give you a cable? But... your car should be prewired with fiber o

Why won't the dealer give you a cable? But... your car should be prewired with fiber optic unless you are putting it into an older CLK that does not have the fiber optic network. And, by the way, you can't just by the fiber optic cable. You have to buy the whole stereo/communications wiring harness which runs about $300. If you just need a fiber optic cable, you can get them at Fry's fairly cheap in the computer section as high speed computer networks use the same fiber optic cables as MB uses with the exact same plugs.

1) Non-US cars are NOT prewired for cables

2) You CAN buy the fibre optic cable separately. Generally for US-spec cars, the audio power cable is integrated in either the main floor wiring harness, or in the tail lamp wiring harness; sometimes there is a separate stereo harness, but often not. Non-US spec cars have a separate harness.

3) The fibre-optic cable at Fry's does NOT have the same connectors on the end; they are also completely different (very flexible compared to the MB "stiff" cables). On top of that, the previous poster is from Switzerland, and I don't believe he has a local Fry's.

I recommend purchasing a fibre optic cable for the W203 C-class, that cable is readily available and easy to order. It should be about 80 Euros. It will have extra connectors that can be removed if necessary, or used with additional components later.

-s-

·
Registered
CLK 430
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot

I have got the wire for the power supply, may be...have you the number of the fiber optic cable for the W 203?
Thank a lot guys
Alberto

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
Someone has a Scorchie up their a$$

1) Man, you don't have to be an a$$hole about it.

2) OK, smart guy. If you can buy the fiber optic cable seperately, what's the part number?

3) The Fry's cable will work fine. I did it on my old 96 E Class when I put a 2002 deck and changer in it. You need a high speed network fiber optic cable (orange with black connectors). Not the flimsy home stereo kind which is probably what you are referring to.

4) Sorry I didn't notice the previous poster was Swiss. But I'm sure he has some kind of electronics store somewhere.

5) You shouldn't be so condescending when you write your posts. You're always act likely you are king of the know it all library and everyone else are a bunch of stupid jackasses. Did other kids pick on you when you were a kid and now you are very bitter to the whole world?

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
Let me step in. . . .

Before this gets ugly, I find Scorchie to be very knowledgeable and helpful as you (figure1a) are being, as well. While I know the danger of sliding into the middle, as an outsider to this, I hope we can see past each other's writing style to focus on what you are both accomplishing; helping a colleague with a problem that is probably pretty frustrating.

If you want to get PO'd, think about how difficult MB has made it for the people who want to make upgrades to stereo since the early 90's. I had '92 and '94 e-class and had a tough time doing anything other than complete and expensive audio makeovers. So what did I get? A new m-class with Bose. With that baby, you take it or leave it.

But the audio shops love it.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Someone has a Scorchie up their a$$

1) Man, you don't have to be an a$$hole about it.

2) OK, smart guy. If you can buy the fiber optic cable seperately, what's the part number?

3) The Fry's cable will work fine. I did it on my old 96 E Class when I put a 2002 deck and changer in it. You need a high speed network fiber optic cable (orange with black connectors). Not the flimsy home stereo kind which is probably what you are referring to.

4) Sorry I didn't notice the previous poster was Swiss. But I'm sure he has some kind of electronics store somewhere.

5) You shouldn't be so condescending when you write your posts. You always act likely you are king of the know it all library and everyone else are a bunch of stupid jackasses. Did other kids pick on you when you were a kid and now you are very bitter to the whole world?
1) I'm sorry, I'm not. You're just taking it that way. I guess maybe you have an issue with being wrong about things?

2) A 203 540 63 08 (EU 67.78)

3) I am referring to the fibre optic cables to be found in the networking department at Fry's. These are flexible, orange cables with black connectors on the end, for use in connecting network switches, etc. The connectors are inappropriate for use in a Mercedes, they are not the AMP connectors that ship on the cables.

4) Why are you getting so upset if you are admitting you didn't notice?

5) I was just pointing out what might be a better solution for the person that asked. Why are you so sensitive? Did you have a bad day? While it is possible that I was teased excessively as a child, I don't seem to recall it. Maybe I have blocked it out? Regardless, I thank you for your concern!

-s-

·
Registered
C 111 Nardo
9,416 Posts
Yes, as shown on figure 1 a

You always act likely you are king of the know it all library
If you have ever patronized such an establishment yourself, it appears you focused on a narrow section with very limited vacobulary, although you did use a very long word in "condescending".

At least, the original poster was appreciative of the help provided by scorchie, and that's probably all that matters in the end.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey! I was teased excessively and bullyed as a child.

and it was very hurtful and emotionaly damaging. But, as you can see from my many post, I turned out just fine! (today, for most of those kids, getting a job detailing one of my MBs would be a step up)

·
Registered
1999 ML430, 2012 ML350
672 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong........

but, I thought these posts were to share information and other points of view? I didn't read any condescending remarks in Scorchie's reply. BTW, he is a smart guy when it comes to MB audio and comand systems.
[8D]

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Please correct me if I am wrong........

but, I thought these posts were to share information and other points of view? I didn't read any condescending remarks in Scorchie's reply. BTW, he is a smart guy when it comes to MB audio and comand systems.
[8D]
Bill, I need to correct you...

- These posts are only for berating each other
- Everything I say is always condescending
- and I don't know a thing about COMAND

Otherwise, everything else you wrote was OK! [:)]

-s-

·
Registered
1999 ML430, 2012 ML350
672 Posts
In that case I..........

want a refund. haha. My comand is working great. You can't change my mind Dean.
[8D]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts