Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 C230K, CD based navigation system ver. 1/04. Shows my car in the wrong location all the time. Watch the car symbol on the map and it is 300 feet behind actual location, so the voice directions cause you to miss turns, shows you still on the freeway when you have already exited, thinks you exited so it tells you to turn left in 1000 feet when you are still on the freeway. Dealer says that's how the system is. Magnification is wrong, too. I show 7 satellites, so that's not the problem. Can anyone relate their experience? Is it accurate? I see streets with wrong names, missing streets, etc. I used the satellite to locate my house and it is perfect, use the address and I'm a block away. Can it be a software problem? Drove another at the dealer and it tracked way behind too. Help!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I can't access your link. It keeps asking for user name and my password, but stays in that loop. Is it restricted from view for some adminstrative type reason that they mention. I'd really love to solve this. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lynn, finally got connected to your thread. Thanks. I have tried both methods of calibration... the tires and the intersection. Neither had an effect. I stored by satellite location as well as my address in the system. I live at a T intersection. The satellite location is dead on but my outlined route remains a block off. MBUSA says it shouldn't be this way, the dealer says more or less that's how it is. The original system seemed to work fine. It was new, but had a scratch on the screen. The new one is consistently wacko... wrong street names, etc. They claim they put the old one back in as a test and it does the same thing that the new one does. Wrong, my route home is the same but the new one insists I got off the exit and doesn't figure out that I didn't until I'm way past it. Something is missing here.

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
THis is strange.. HEy where do you live? Did you buy your car with command or installed it later??
Maybe it's the 04 disk for that region is wacky .. My disk for Texas for 04 is real stupid.. It shows Austin but in another county!!!!! I checked with the dealer, and verified that it's the disk by loading an older version and it was correct. However,, your problem is different.

THe GPS tracks your location by satellites your antenna picks up, and the little Gyro located in your command unit. This coordination is the only way your system could be off the way you say it is..What if there is something wrong woth your antenna..did they try to change that? that's an easy test...
The only other possiblity is that you do not have a compatible command in your car, like a clk,or something, but even then, A full block away?? Somethings broke. THe service guy who told you that this is normal is a dumbass.. WHat's the point in having navigation right???

Anyhow, I have a 463 system in my car, and it works fine, but I do notice the speed calibration is a little different, it's maybe less that a 100 feet from the mark as far as exits and such. I can live with that...
I set it for my house which is of the beaten path,, and when I am about 50 feet from where I marked, it say I have reached my destination.
If I am at an intersection, I will cross the intersection before my system "catches up" . This I'm okay with also..

I told you all of this because I do not have a 203 command in my car and I am feeding this unit a local speed reference to make it work.
If your system is a 203 system and you have these many problems,,there is something wrong..

Good Luck....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm not glad other people have problems, but at least I'm not crazy like they make you feel. Where is the antenna? Maybe I need to point that out to them. The car came equipped with the nav, but it was stolen by an employee who ripped out the nav, it was then replaced and sold to me as a used car all of which I was aware. However, because of other problems I only had my car for 3 weeks while waiting for parts to come in. I thought the nav worked fine then but it had a scratch on the screen, so they installed a new one. Too hard to do just the screen, do the whole unit. I noticed this was off right away.I go off the freeway waited for the light, turned left, waited for the next light, turned left, all this time map shows I'm still on the freeway. Then it tells me to turn left. It wouldn't be surprised if both the cd and the system is faulty. If a street runs parallel to the freeway, the map has me jumping back and forth, doesn't know which one I'm on.They thought there was incompatibility with the head unit, but claimed they checked it and its not. I think you are right.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
There is something very wrong with your unit. It should be accurate to about 25 feet or less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: CD based Navigation Problems. Solved, I think!

Just for the benefit of the others and show that the obvious can be hidden, my navigation was way off because the system was calibrated to the Queen's English, not the good old USA. Doesn't work in California if you try to mix meters with miles and liters with gallons. The mileage was also misread, so my mpg was ugly. It took going to a different dealer who was much more experienced and the problem was solved in 5 minutes. You never know. I haven't had time to check out the nav much, but instant success in mileage (29 on surface streets). I really, really appreciate the help from posters because the things the nav was doing defied logic. At least you made certain it was the system and not me. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE: Not fixed! Help!!!

After all the pomp and circumstance. Problem remains. The major problem is when you deviate from a programmed route. It consistently takes you on the mapped route, even though you have ignored it. At a freeway split, I went left, it planned on right. There is the map with my car going to the right and the display showing the next exit on that freeway. It caught up with me at the first exit on the freeway I was really on. Probably missed by an 1/8 mile. How do I convince MB that this can't be normal or is it? The "expert" saw the lagging behind and said it was normal. I can accept that but not this crazy my way or the highway. I'm going back to dealer.... again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts