Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to warn anyone out there considering installing seat covers that have straps that you have to attach under the seat. It is a very good idea to take the seats out of your W123 series cars before attempting to do this. There are some extremely sharp metal edges under the seats that will most likely end up slicing up your hands. It's like catching your hands in a meat slicer. Maybe that's exaggerating it a bit but none the less please exercise care in installing your seat covers.
I installed some sheepskin covers over the last weekend and found out about the sharp edges the hard way. I didn't even feel it when I was cut, but what a bloody mess I had when I pulled my hands out from under the seats. Good thing I didn't get blood on the new seat covers!

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I have been having my son and daughter RR seats, sheep skins etc. I will warn them next ti...

I have been having my son and daughter RR seats, sheep skins etc. I will warn them next time. Just thinking about cuts from metal to sharp to feel until too late is an unpleasant thought.
John Gregg

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The worst thing was that those sheepskin covers smelled like rotting lamb and they shed fi...

The worst thing was that those sheepskin covers smelled like rotting lamb and they shed fibers onto my good slacks. I had to repeat the ordeal to remove them. Good thing about them was that I had bought them from Costco and they gladly refunded my money.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Re: The worst thing was that those sheepskin covers smelled like rotting lamb and they shed fi

The worst thing was that those sheepskin covers smelled like rotting lamb and they shed fibers onto my good slacks. I had to repeat the ordeal to remove them. Good thing about them was that I had bought them from Costco and they gladly refunded my money.
I have noticed that the sheepskins/cheap on my 83 300D Euro have shed enough fur to look like white cats have been living in the car. Cloth drivers seat has good padding but wear so it is a toss up.
John Gregg

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to install some sheepskins on my car because the seats are too hard and uncomfort...

I wanted to install some sheepskins on my car because the seats are too hard and uncomfortable for any long trip. I have the MB-Tex seats.
Right now, no sheepsskins, no long trips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watch the straps too when installing. They can easily slip out of your hand and you can get a hook in the eye. We've seen guys get hit in the eye here at our shop and have black eyes for weeks.

Sheepskin shouldn't shed, either, except for a when the covers are <I>new and only at the seams</I>. After a while the shedding should stop if the covers are genuine sheepskin (acrylic, or man made sheepskin, tends to shed more). Better sheepskin seat cover manufacturers will clean up the seams before delivering covers to their customers.

Hope that helps,
Victor
http://www.superlambauto.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts