Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,
Are classic cars not entitled to have their catalitics checked? If so, when are cars considered classics.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi again,
Are classic cars not entitled to have their catalitics checked? If so, when are cars considered classics.
:bowdown:
Not sure what you're asking. If you're asking from an emission inspection standard, most states with emissions laws require that the emission system remain intact as delivered from the manufacturer (this is aside from the federal mandates which the feds rarely enforce on an individual level). However, what constitutes a "classic" car (and what emission laws would apply to them) are regulated by the statutes of the particular state.

If you're asking from the dealer inspection perspective, they'll inspect (and replace) anything you want. But they only replace for free what they have to.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, kinda confused myself too when I reread it. My question is, do old / classic cars carry no cats in their exhaust system? You can hear their loud mufflers etc., etc. I know someone in Ga. who has a warehouse of old expensive cars and they have no cats. in there.
I know that this old are just but a few that would pollute the air, that's why I thought , there's no Federal / State ruling against them . Are there?

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Converters have been in use in the USA on some cars since the seventies, so you will indeed find them on some classics.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Every

state has an expiration date for testing on old cars classic or not.Cars with no cats i.e. early 70's are exempt from testing.In washington state it is required on all cars from 5-25 years old and thus 1983 cars would get tested this year but in 2 years since we test every 2 years the time limit would be passed and no more testing.
So it is time related not classic related.After all a Ferrari enzo is already a classic but requires testing.
ohlord:bowdown:
btw a 2000 w210 is a nice used car classy but not classic.
This is classic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
If I'm reading original post correctly, but who know...

Then I'd advise at looking at the California DMV website regarding smog regs/smog check requirements for older cars.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
state has an expiration date for testing on old cars classic or not.Cars with no cats i.e. early 70's are exempt from testing.In washington state it is required on all cars from 5-25 years old and thus 1983 cars would get tested this year but in 2 years since we test every 2 years the time limit would be passed and no more testing.
So it is time related not classic related.After all a Ferrari enzo is already a classic but requires testing.
ohlord

1983? Wow . Time flies so fast. You shouldn't have said the numbers. LOL !

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
It's been a long, long time since I read any of these statutes -- so I can't state whether they've been changed -- but just because a vehicle's age exempts it from emission testing does not mean technically mean that it is exempt from emission laws. Federal laws prohibit bypassing or disabling the emissions control devices that were originally installed on the car bound for the US market, and that law remains in effect regardless how old the car is or whether the state in which it is registered requires any emission testing. Most state laws incorporate this provision as well, so even on your 1969 Chevy Caprice originally set into the CA market with an air pump (I think that was the first appearance) it would be a violation of the law to remove it. Since there is no testing it would be hard for them to catch you, but it's still illegal.

As a practical matter this is a distinction without a difference. However, if you were hotdogging around and a cop didn't like your look and pulled you over, if he had reason to think something might be tweaked, he could impound your car for further inspection and you could, potentially, be prosecuted.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Up

here if the car is over 25 you can do what you want.We installed a big block chev in a 1980 Jag.No cop could do anything other then write the ticket for 0-60 in under 4:thumbsup:if he caught us:D
ohlord:bowdown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts