Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was advised by my local Mercedes shop that my Catalytic converters were plugged and one was breaking apart inside, sounded like marbles. After doing much re-search here, bnzwrld and mercshop I decided to try a custom solution. 2 Hi Flow (Flowmaster) cats, 2 resonators and a lot of custom piping. I also took the advice to go to a REAL shop not a chain like Midas etc. I found a local shop here in Edmonton called Action Muffler, they did a fantastic job! Anil is the owner (drives a 2000 ML) was extremely helpful in putting together this custom solution.

How does it drive? Well It feel like 15-20 extra HP in seat of my pants. The sound is a little deeper at full throttle and dead quiet at idle. The acceleration is very consistent all the way through the RPM range. It used to really die off out about 4,500 RMP’s. All in all I believe it is much better than my old stock 4 cat system. Now to save up for the Remus exhaust package.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Very nice!

I'm looking for a new solution for my exhaust set up which includes larger diameter headers and free flowing cats. I already have the supersprint muffler and quad tail pipes. Educate me if you will. Where are the resonators and did you simply replace the stock oem resonators with new oem or aftermarket?

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Very nice!

There is one Mercedes resonator in the factory setup on the drivers side. We removed the OEM and replaced with 2 aftermarket, one for each side. I have included the factory schematic with notes (schematic courtesy of Mr. Wolfgang’s fantastic Site! Hope you don’t mind)

I have circled the replacement resonators in Yellow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
You're awesome Swizzles

Great graphics and thanks for circling the resonators! I did not even notice those in your original photos--not that I would know that they were anyway. Just curious, with the free flowing cats it was too loud, but was there vibration as well? I'm actually looking for "louder" but without vibration in the cabin.

·
Registered
107 Posts
good work! its good to know that there are some gains by going with an aftermarket cat setup. I'm gonna have to add this to list of things to do...

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: You're awesome Swizzles

LOCHS 2 - 5/5/2005 5:11 PM

Great graphics and thanks for circling the resonators! I did not even notice those in your original photos--not that I would know that they were anyway. Just curious, with the free flowing cats it was too loud, but was there vibration as well? I'm actually looking for "louder" but without vibration in the cabin.
It is a bad loud with no resonators…. Like a cheap tuner Honda civic. It may sound better on a V8, try with just straight pipe. It’s easy to cut out a section and install a couple of resonators. It might also sound different with your performance muffler.

·
Registered
'02ML320
806 Posts
wow your undercarriage is so clean. my frame is pretty rusted up and id think that rust is worse up in canada. anybody have rust on your frames?

·
Registered
'02ML320
806 Posts
wow your undercarriage is so clean. my frame is pretty rusted up and id think that rust is worse up in canada. anybody have rust on your frames?

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RE: what did it cost?

kenyee - 5/6/2005 7:16 AM

With all that custom piping, I'm hesitant to ask :)
Despite buying the absolute best parts I could (Magnaflow Free Flow cats, resonators etc.) It was only $1100 Canadian Dollars. I think someone could really satisfy a need by creating a complete replacement performance system that would be an easy bolt on. Besides having to remove the one Torsion bar it would be a fairly simple replacement. Now that the ML fleet is getting older and so many people have had Cat cracking problems they would probably sell a lot.

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Very Nice! Does adding the extra resonator make it generally quieter? I know you mentioned it sounded 'deeper', but not louder I hope, since you've tempted me to try this! [:0]

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bocobod - 5/7/2005 11:58 PM

Very Nice! Does adding the extra resonator make it generally quieter? I know you mentioned it sounded 'deeper', but not louder I hope, since you've tempted me to try this! [:0]
My comparisons for power and sound are from my 4 broken and plugged 190,000KM OEM original catalytic converters. With the changes the sound is totally quiet at idle and cruzing speed. Under hard acceleration you get a nice low growl (the sound is also louder than my original system). I bet it would sound fantastic on a V8!

This weekend while watching Sports Car Revolution they completely removed a catalectic converter in a little Honda or Toyota want to be tuner car. They ran it on the Dyno before and after. They got a 5HP gain by replacing the Cat with straight pipe. This seems to confirm my estimate of 15-20HP gain with my Mod.

Removal of 2 Cats = 5X2 = 10HP
2 Hi Flo Replace = 2.5X2 = 5HP

Total HP Gain = 15HP

Because my exhaust system was so plugged up I probably gained 15HP with the mod and restored another 15HP gaining me a total of 30HP.

·
Registered
M L 320
1 Posts
Ok ...i know im a little late...but i am in the process of having the Benz dealership replace my cats..and resognator...i would much rather up grade ...but was told i would have problems on the ML...if u don mind could u tell me exactly what parts you bought for your upgrade....Thanks

Black Beauty

Attachments

·
Registered
ml500 w163 2002
456 Posts
There is one Mercedes resonator in the factory setup on the drivers side. We removed the OEM and replaced with 2 aftermarket, one for each side. I have included the factory schematic with notes (schematic courtesy of Mr. Wolfgang’s fantastic Site! Hope you don’t mind)

I have circled the replacement resonators in Yellow.
sorry to revive such an old thread but didn't you just delete out the two back cats? According to the diagram it states the ML has 4 cats.

I'm bringing this up and wanted to get more info to this thread because I'm researching the best exhaust system for my ML and the only resonator I'm finding is the one after the muffler. I also gathered that the ML has 4 cats.

Thanks

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, only run 2 cats now instead of 4. Just make sure they get the o2 sensors in the right place or you will have a CE light on all the time. I have put 150,000KM on this exhaust config without issue since my original post.

Best of Luck,

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The factory resonator was removed and replaced with 2 hi flow units, one on each side.

·
Registered
ml500 w163 2002
456 Posts
i see the pics you put up with the resonators, so you replaced the two cats right before the center muffler with the two resonators? How about to the rear of the center muffler, did you put resonators also to remove the single resonator after the center muffler?

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
983 Posts
Well, I'm blowing off 13 years of dust - I'm going to be shocked if any of the OP's are still around.

Khomer found this worthy thread so here goes....

My RF Cat was STOLEN by a future (probably past) resident of the Arkansas Prison System earlier this week.

So, I'm trying to 'get er done', without diminishing my 4 daughters Hobby Lobby allowance, if you follow.

David in Texas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts