Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1987 190E 2.6 Midnight Blue
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When the car is running I hear a constant “eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee” sound and it does not seem to create the noise until the engine/exhaust are warm. I looked under the car and it has too huge rust spots in the bottom sides of the catalytic converter and these rust spots can be easily punched in if I tried hard enough but I left it alone. I think air is leaking through the rusted spots and making the noise, I even have a slight exhaust smell.

I was at a red light on a slight incline, hit the gas a litter harder to get going and my car shut off.

Could a rust damaged and leaking catalytic converter be making my car stall?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounds like there might be a laundry list of reasons your car won't start. I would start with the easy stuff like fuel filter, fuel lines and work your way from there. Looks like your catalytic converter will also need to be replaced as well. BTW, your W201 is the same color as mine. Midnight blue is MB's best color for sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, I’ve yet to see another Midnight Blue one, it’s one of my favorite car colors as well!! My 190e was in a garage since 1997 so it has tons of small issues.

Not sure if you saw my other post but the car is “running out of gas” at 1/4 tank and upon fill up it drives like normal.

In the near future I’ll get a new cat back but will patch my cat/exhaust for now, it has some other issues I need to prioritize.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think you should probably remove your gas tank and clean it out. I think your gas tank has all kinds of sludge in the bottom of it that's plugging it up so the gas can't get through and that's why you're not getting gas once you get down to 1/4 of a tank. My 190 has always been garaged as well which really helps to preserve the midnight blue color. Not the most common of colors but it's spectacular looking. It's not clear coated so it can scratch more easily and needs a little more attention to stay in top shape. I finally went with a ceramic coating a couple of years ago and it was the right but expensive decision. The ceramic coating makes the paint look spectacular.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Battery was indeed dead! So many small things go wrong on the car I panic and forget to do the simple checks. If I don’t drive it over a two day period it does typically die. I think the locked out radio could be the cause of this. Like I said the car has tons of small issues but I’ll never give up on it.

I have moderate mechanic ability but no where to really do bigger jobs like taking the tank out and cleaning it. It sounds expensive to have a shop do it.

when I first pushed it out the garage last summer, I tried to siphon out any bad gas but it was empty and only had a bit of sediment in there. I also had 2 different shops do the same thing with their “more advanced machinery”.

Stalling did indeed go away until a few days ago

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well although mine was garaged all that time it hadn’t been moved once! The passenger side is riddled with door dings and it has a few other dents a crack or two on the rear quarter panel and rust on the jack holes but it has not progressed too horribly. And as a whole the body is in great shape clear coat is still there on mine. I live in Ohio so this car will never touch the snow it’ll be garage kept in winter.

Haha getting off topic now but how have you been able to maintain your car’s appearance over all the years and prevent rusting? How long have you had it and do you drive it a lot? Have you ever considered repainting or a vinyl wrap to protect it?

·
Registered
319 Posts
The midnight blue paint is NOT clear coated. The dents can be easily fixed with a paintless dent repair. The MB Classic Center probably has the touch up paint to deal with the paint damage. Now is the time to deal with the rust around the jack holes before it becomes a major problem. The rust will only continue to get worse and the repairs needed to fix it will only get more expensive the longer you wait to do anything about it. I don't live where there's snow so that's a big plus for helping me take care of my car. I'm religious about keeping my car in the garage as well. You should be able to let your car sit for a couple of days without driving it and the battery should not be drained. If this continues to happen then you have a draw somewhere in the electrical system that will keep draining batteries until it's resolved. These are great cars if they're well maintained but they do need attention from time to time to stay in good running condition. Removing and cleaning the gas tank is likely what's needed to resolve the stalling issue. Sludge in the bottom of your gas tank is likely to get loose and foul other parts of the fuel system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay gotcha my car shines pretty nicely after a good wash so I thought it had clear a coat on it. I’m going to consider ceramic coating like you did. I removed my radio and the battery has not died so far, it was inoperable due to the anti theft system and could not be turned off or on. Would even make a rapid click sound when car was off that wouldn’t stop until I put the key back in.

Thanks for the heads up, I’m 100% invested in my 190e, I’ll do whatever it takes to get it nice looking and reliable again.

I plan to sand out the rust and paint with POR15 but I fear that underneath the flaking parts lies more rust and I’ll be left with two huge holes around my jacking points the outer rim feels like it’ll cave in if hit hard enough :(

Do you happen to know the paint code for the Rockers/skirts? It’s like a blueish anthracite color on mine.
A body kit will go over them at some point to protect from moisture and future rust

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,067 Posts
If you care about the looks of your car, I would completely agree with W201fan. For the door dings and little dents I marked them all up (about a couple dozen) and took the car to the local PDR person. Green dots in the picture below. For little chips you should go with DR COLORCHIP. Their paint coloring and method is perfect. I had over 250 chips and scratches on my car after 30 years. I have PN187 to thank for both tips.
Again marked them and fixed them one at a time. I can not see the chips anymore. Photo also included.

For the rust, that is your big problem, much harder to fix. Easy fix is move the California. I have never seen a a W201 in the juckyards with rust here.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,550 Posts
Dolucasi, your car is looking great as always! I have to vouch for Dr. Colorchip as well for any paint chips. I use it to touch up my teal green 2.6. Wish I had known about it before for my blue car (where you can definitely see the touch up spots)
For the lower paint colors, paintscratch.com is pretty good for that.
I went through this a couple yrs ago when I had my front bumper repainted and we had to figure out what the lower paint code was.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sweet car Dolucasi!! I aspire to bring my 190e up to that standard. Sadly I’m stuck here in Ohio.

Here’s all the ugly on my car just so guys can see what I mean :/ but IMO it can be easily saved with a little tlc. The ONLY rust is on the jack points which I’ll cure and cover up and never let salt or snow touch it again. Luckily the car was stored when it was roughly 10 years old so it’s in pretty decent shape overall. I’ve seen newer Benzes with much worse rust and paint damage than mine.

Attachments

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,067 Posts
Thanks guys. One more tip, if you are not sure of the touch-up paint, and you may want to take it off some day, use touchupdirect.
I found out thru coincidence and good fortune that their paint is alcohol soluble even years after application. So you can take it of with alcohol.
Came in handy when I applied the DR colorchip, as I could take out the ugly touch-up job I had earlier with the other brand.....

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,550 Posts
Honestly your rust on the jack points doesn't look too bad. It looks like right now it's just the undercoating that's bubbling up. Scrape the peeling undercoating and then wire brush the rusted areas till they're shiny, then you can apply your POR-15.
All of your other dings/dents can easily be fixed by a PDR guy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Great tips on the touch up paint. Dolucasi your 190 does look great. Betterdaze, a 190 is always worth saving. Looking forward to watching yours progress.

·
W201 Moderator
3,067 Posts
Thanks guys. One more tip, if you are not sure of the touch-up paint, and you may want to take it off some day, use One-touch-direct.
I found out thru coincidence and good fortune that their paint is alcohol soluble even years after application. So you can take it of with alcohol.
Came in handy when I applied the DR colorchip, as I could take out the ugly touch-up job I had earlier with the other brand.....
I made a mistake in the brand name, it is touchupdirect not what I had before. I fixed the post as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts