Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'99 CLK 320 Cabrio
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone in Los Angeles replaced their catalytic converters (not under warranty) and could recommend a shop that won't rip me off?

Also, has anyone ever used the EV0SP0RT cats as a replacement? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2000 E55 AMG, 2009 GL550, 1954 LINCOLN CAPRI. 1967 VW BEETLE
249 Posts
Just from my experience as a tech, becareful with some aftermarket cats, after a short while some people will experience check engine lights due to poor catalyst efficiency, basically they dont clean the air properly, big cluster f*ck! Cant say I have experience with Evo's cats though...By the way , howcome you think you need to replace them?

·
Registered
'99 CLK 320 Cabrio
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can hear a rattle underneath the car when I'm accelerating. The car has 90k miles and I've read several posts from people whose cats went out much earlier.

One benefit of aftermarket cats - besides performance - is that they're less than 1/2 the price of OEM cats.

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Yeah, but that rattle could just be the heat shield that needs to be tack welded back on. Nothing more, nothing less. Just offering up an alternative suggestion.
I had mine welded back on when I bought the car, and after about a year or two it's back. I'm guessing I'm just going to bring it in again to get the shield welded back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts