Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys my cat was stolen off my car and since its been partially welded back on my car by the bodyshop who was responsible my slk has had issues (codes misfire codes) i think my exhuast is leaking severly at my cat converter can i run a straight pipe on a MB slk 230???
Ive had this car about a year and done all kinds of work to it but have yet got to enjoy the top down on a sunny day :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
If the catalytic converter was stolen, why would you not have your insurance or the shop that stole it, properly replace the thing?

Maybe you could elaborate on what happened, how does one steal a catalytic converter?

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04carrera911,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140, w210 e55t 2001
1,720 Posts
u can run it with straight pipe as long as you install back the o2 sensor. but your gona have a problem with emission compliance

·
Registered
1999 MB SLK 230
816 Posts
u can run it with straight pipe as long as you install back the o2 sensor. but your gona have a problem with emission compliance
why do you even what to steal a old catalytic converte? It's like breaking into the bank valuet and steal the floor carpet or something.

Dont think that it's wise to remove the catalytic converte, the car needs alittle back pressure I think. Have you removed the resonator or changed into a aftermarket muffler? If so, the noise will also be much higher.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor
333 Posts
why do you even what to steal a old catalytic converte?
I was wondering that myself and then I read this on Wikipedia.

Theft

Due to the external location and the use of valuable precious metals including platinum, palladium, and rhodium, converters are a target for thieves. The problem is especially common among late-model Toyota trucks and SUVs, due to their high ground clearance and easily-removed bolt-on catalytic converters. Welded-in converters are also at risk of theft from SUVs and trucks, as they can be easily removed with a battery powered reciprocating saw.[8][9] The saw removal of the converter can often inadvertently damage the car’s wiring or fuel line resulting in dangerous consequences. Rises in metal costs inside the United States during recent years have led to a large increase in theft incidents of the converter.

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
Mercedes and BMWs are supposed to have cats with higher amounts of recoverable precious metals in them, so that is why they are also popular. The unscrupulous recyclers will pay more for them. More methamphetamine fixes for your effort ;) My local indie wants you to either get you car to his place before 5 pm so he can store it overnight in his shop or don't drop it off until they open the next day.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
27 Posts
I would not let the body shop "weld" something on my car to avoid replacing something that was intended to be there, like the flanges that hold the cat on in the first place. It is only my oppinion that there is more to this story than keyslk230 is letting on, but if its all the same YES there is going to be problems whenever a sensor or system has been altered, damaged or removed. Especially considering mercedes highley engineered and time tested engine management system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OHH CONTRARY ITS A NEW FAD for crackheads theives in KY they steal the converter which has precious metals in it and then they take em to a plce that buys em luckily I got mine back before they melted it down and the kids were caught most cats go for 250.00 a core on a MB was 450.00 to a metal shop the car wasnt insured at time it was in a body shop I bought wrecked :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.