Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm very pissed right now looks like a cat found a way into our garage through some railing we have on the side and scratched my soft top. Material is not peeling away but it looks like whitish and brilliant very thin scratches.

Has anyone had a problem like this and managed to 1) Fix or at least hide the scratches and 2) Use some sort of deterrent to keep the cats away? The Spider that's next to the SL has the roof intact but there's foot prints all over it.

Any tips are welcome!

·
Registered
317 Posts
at least you can't blame your own cats

having said that, mine never damaged the roof, just covered it in fur. There is a product here in the Uk called Renovo, which I used to rejuvenate my tired canvas. It worked really well, apart from noting the white stitching is now pretty much black all over, the material looks as good as new, even on heavy attrition areas, there is a beneficial effect.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
I keep a cardboard box that covers the soft top. It's easy to fold, flops over to protect the windows, and keeps fur on my top to a minimum. So scratching issues though. That sucks

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Well I'm very pissed right now looks like a cat found a way into our garage through some railing we have on the side and scratched my soft top. Material is not peeling away but it looks like whitish and brilliant very thin scratches.
Has anyone had a problem like this and managed to 1) Fix or at least hide the scratches and 2) Use some sort of deterrent to keep the cats away? The Spider that's next to the SL has the roof intact but there's foot prints all over it.

Any tips are welcome!
I would be pissed too! I would probably cut a custom sized piece of thin plywood or something similar to lay on top. Probably would also wax it or put some kind of unsavory coating on it.

WHY do cats walk on cars? Because they can... LOL!!! You have to put a stop to that. BAM!!! :laugh

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any ideas on what can I use to at least obscure those scratches pictured above a bit?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,067 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Try a stiff brush. I leave my top down and cover the windshield & seats with a blanket, then a lightweight car cover on top, inside an open carport. A cat once got on there and sagged into the back seat area, must've startled him as he never tried that again. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Time to do a clean, restore and re-protect. Lots of products on the market.
Those lines will probably disappear during the process.
If not....nothing a black sharpie won't fix.

https://www.amazon.ca/Wolfsteins-RaggTopp-Convertible-Cleaning-Protecting/dp/B01CBRBFZI/ref=sr_1_1/146-8022080-7784722?ie=UTF8&qid=1499985996&sr=8-1&keywords=raggtopp+cleaner
So soft scrub with soapy water, rinse, dry and apply a protectant?

What about the one attached? I have a can of it.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have 2 thoughts on this issue:

We had a cat who used to go on the furniture, both fabric and leather. Didn't damage either (thank God), but left cat hair all over. To discourage this behavior, we set numerous mousetraps (sans cheese!) on each piece of furniture and covered them with a sheet...a thin layer of newspaper should work just as well, but didn't want the print rubbing of on the furniture.

After getting the crap scared out of him following a few encounters with the traps, we found fewer and fewer sprung traps as the cat began to avoid getting on any of the furniture. Eventually we were able to go d/c the traps which was a good thing because there was never a place for us to sit. For the car, however, you might just want to leave everything in place as a precaution when the car isn't being used.

For the scratches that are already present, you may want to explore the idea of a convertible top "dressing" to help cover the existing marks. Although I've not used it for this particular application, RaggTopp makes products for cleaning and protecting canvas and vinyl tops.
You could contact them here:
raggtopp.com
There are other products including 303 automotive maintenance products which are quite popular for a variety of uses. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant for the dash, tires, etc. Not really a cleaner, but provides excellent UV protection. To contact them, check here:
https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Get yourself the 303 Aerospace convertible top protectant kit, Nr. 30520. It's about $25 from most retailers.

Also get a stiff nylon brush.

Raise the top and close the windows like you are expecting rain. Wet the top with a hose thoroughly, then spray on the cleaner portion of the kit. Use as much of the bottle as you can, you want it to penetrate the fabric and attach itself to the dirt.

Then use the nylon brush to clean the top, use brush strokes from fore to aft, in the same direction the wind blows, in one direction ONLY. This will agitate the dirt and allow the cleaner to attach itself to dirt and grease particles.

Then rinse. This will take you about half an hour, to get all the cleaner out of the material, but this is the goal. When you think you have clear water bouncing off the top, think again! You will see bubbles. So keep rinsing.

Then let the top air dry for several hours, or overnight. Remove any debris like leaves that falls on it during this time.

Finally, apply the entire bottle of protectant- you spray this on with overlapping strokes until the top is fully saturated. It will turn a dark color when you do this-- in fact this is how you know you have full saturation. Don't stop until the entire bottle of protectant is gone.

Then wait overnight again, the protectant will dry. You must then clean it off the windows, both glass and plastic-- I use Invisible Glass for the windows and Plexus for the plastic (try aircraft spruce for this if you cant find). This may take a bit of pressure with a clean microfiber towel to remove the film, as the protectant is thick and tenacious.

Done. Next time it rains you will see water bead on the top and roll away. This should eliminate the cat marks as well.

You are on your own to manage the cats.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,067 Posts
So soft scrub with soapy water, rinse, dry and apply a protectant?

What about the one attached? I have a can of it.

I can't comment on what I haven't used.

The RaggTopp worked great.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There's a real simple solution to all this. Just flip a piece of canvas over the top of the car when it's in your garage.

Ask your wife ;-) to buy a cheap remnant piece, 2-3 yards, at a fabric store (or venture in yourself). Costs a few bux, and you're set.

I bought a piece on sale ($6) that had rubberized backing: used a small corner of it for a patch, then use the rest, rubber side down, to keep my top from getting lint from the chamois fitted cover. Our municipal garage has more dust than you would believe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
Mehitabel
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing