Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Castrol edge or mobil oil

26K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  syljua 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been using mobil 1 oils for years with good results as far as engine wear and sludge removal. Recently i was talking to a shop and they told me that castrol edge is better then mobil1 i am about to buy oil for my next oil change (did one a week ago for spring). I want to know which oil i should buy and use. I have used 0w40 mobil 1 syntethic inmy engine for 4 years and before that it was regular mobil 1 10w40 and 20w50. Since it is only $0.15 more a quart i though i might as well ask forum members. I was going to get liqui moly but the prices have sky rocketed at a local shop.

#4 ·
I agree with Nathan. I switched over to Delo400 after I read a comparison. It is highest in detergents. I also use AutoX when I change oil. I've had 5 Benzes and have never seen a sludged engine. Even at 200K they are clean enough to use as dinner plates.:)
Anziani

#33 ·
I´ve always used Mobil 1 0W40 in the S420, but tried 5W30 ESP Formula the last time I changed oil. You can actually hear the difference; the engine seems to run more quiet.
Yes, the dealer, that both you and I use, told me so.

I tried it as well. Happy to say that mine is also considerably quieter now, and apart from
some chain rattle, its mostly a low pitch hum from the exhaust.

br,
syljua

#8 ·
I change my oil every 2500miles. I have only used syntethic. Once the oil changes color slightly i change it, i change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. In reality i actually change my oil too quick. i use to change every 1000miles. The sludge issue happened after regular oil was put in my engine that had syntethic thanks to a quick lube spot.

#9 ·
2500 miles IMO is throwing your money away! With the quality of the oil now days you can go 5000 miles and still be in good shape! I change out my oils on both my deezel and my 140 @ 5000 miles. And if not mistaken syntethic oils have even longer intervals !

Smokie

Reactions: Thom_7
#11 ·
The oils have a long mileage use but after a certain time period oil breaks down. I change it every 6 month. I use to drive but now my daily commute is about 10-12miles a day. When i use to work 100miles away my daily commute use to be 225miles but economy went down and working on commission was useless at the time.

#13 ·
I have always use Mobil1 (and have been very satisfied) but have recently switched to Mobil1 Extended Performance. I thought I would try it since it is only pennies more and had great reviews.

Well I have to admit I CAN hear and feel the difference. The engine is dramatically quieter just as I had read in the reviews.

I purchase it from Walmart in 5 quart jugs and it is very economical $26.88. I highly recommend it!

185K miles, engine clean as a whistle inside and out. Smooth and silky. Whisper quiet.

Seth

#14 ·
I actually don't mind paying $32 for 5 quart jug at a local parts store. But i tend to shop at family owned businesses before going to big name companies such as walmart. Plus ever since i worked at the walmart pharmacy i do not step foot in there worst customer service ever and they actually promote it.

Mobil 1 is great on my mazda i do oil changes at 8000miles when factory recommend for syntethic is 4000miles. You will not find one drop of sludge in the engine. My friend that completely neglects his cars drove 30,000miles without an oil change (w211 e350) and he also overfilled the engine an extra 5 quarts for the last 3000miles and we did valve cover gaskets and the engine was still spotless and no noises at all.

Liquimoly is a great lubricant i really like there products. There atf is better then mb atf. I have used the products and havent been disappointed yet. They are bit pricey but its worth it. I have never used there engine oil in my cars but i have in friends and relatives' cars and it feels to be good except for one awkward grey oil i saw. It was 0w40 and the oil was grey. I didnt hate but i dont think i liked it either lol.

#23 · (Edited)
in his lengthy oil analysis, the oil comparison narrowed...

later into the analysis, the focus was reduced to: 0W40 vs 5W30 vs 0W30. And, as it may be difficult to locate in the comprehensive report, it is reprinted here (this may be useful to M-B owners using Mobil 1 0W40, and puzzled by its 75th rank in the larger, all-inclusive list--ultimately, it scored 4th in what is no doubt a more relevant comparison):

On the Corvette C6, Z06 Forum, perhaps the most popular oil the U.S. guys like to use is what they call, the 0W40 Euro blend Mobil 1. This oil is what GM calls for in the Owner’s Manual and also on the oil filler cap on C6 Z06’s sold in Canada and Europe, whereas 5W30 Mobil 1 is called for in the U.S. The rationale the U.S. Corvette owners typically use for choosing this 0W40 Euro blend Mobil 1 instead of following GM’s recommendation, is the thinking that this oil may have more zinc than U.S. oil, and their mistaken belief that more zinc and a higher viscosity can provide better wear protection, as well as their mistaken belief that 5W30 Mobil 1 is not very good.

Also, on “Bob is the Oil Guy” Forum, 0W30 Castrol Edge with Syntec (black bottle), API SL, European Formula, made in Germany and sold in the U.S., is very popular. This is apparently because they favor the better cold flowing 0W cold viscosity rating (which is a good idea), and because of the thinking that this oil may have more zinc than U.S. oil, and their mistaken belief that more zinc can provide better wear protection.

The Z06 guys as well as the Bob Forum guys, obviously feel this way based on emotion and guessing/speculation, because they clearly never had any test data to evaluate………………until now.

All this calls for performing Engineering Wear Protection testing those 0W40 and 5W30 Corvette Z06 oils, as well as testing 0W30 oils, to see how they all compare. Then Z06 owners and the Bob Forum guys can take a look at actual hard test data numbers that will show the facts. With that information in hand, they can make an informed decision when it comes to selecting an oil that will truly provide them with the best wear protection.

So, I tested the following motor oils:

0W40 and 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra

0W40, 5W30 and 0W30 Mobil 1

0W40, 5W30 and 0W30 Castrol Edge with Syntec (in the black bottle)

NOTE: Castrol’s top of the line 100% Edge motor oil, comes in the gold bottle.

The Wear Protection reference categories are:

• Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

• 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

• 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

• Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

Here is how these oils ranked just among themselves, according to their Wear Protection Capability. All wear protection capability testing was performed at 230* F, and the higher the psi value, the better the wear protection. I also included values for the onset of thermal breakdown for comparison (the thermal breakdown values were rounded to the nearest 5* increment):

1. 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SM synthetic = 115,612 psi, which puts it in the INCREDIBLE wear protection category.
The onset of thermal breakdown = 280* F

2. 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN synthetic = 105,875 psi, which puts it in the INCREDIBLE wear protection category.
The onset of thermal breakdown = 265* F

3. 5W30 Castrol Edge w/Syntec, API SN (black bottle, formerly Castrol Syntec) synthetic = 85,179 psi, which puts it in the GOOD wear protection category.
The onset of thermal breakdown = TBD (I did not test this particular oil for this when I had it on hand)

4. 0W40 Mobil 1, API SN, European Formula, made in the U.S., synthetic = 82,644 psi, which puts it in the GOOD wear protection category.
The onset of thermal breakdown = 285* F

5. 0W40 Pennzoil Ultra, API SN, synthetic = 81,863 psi, which puts it in the GOOD wear protection category.
The onset of thermal breakdown = 260* F

6. 0W30 Mobil 1, API SN, Advanced Fuel Economy, synthetic = 81,240 psi, which puts it in the GOOD wear protection category.
The onset of thermal breakdown = 290* F

7. 0W40 Castrol Edge with Syntec (black bottle), API SN, European Formula, made in Belgium and sold in the U.S., synthetic = 69,307 psi, which puts it in the MODEST wear protection category.

8. 0W30 Castrol Edge with Syntec (black bottle), API SL, European Formula, made in Germany and sold in the U.S., synthetic = 69,302 psi, which puts it in the MODEST wear protection category.

As you can see from these actual Engineering test values, all the 5W30 oils provide better wear protection than any of the 0W oils. But even so, any of these oils would be acceptable for normal daily driver use. However, for highly loaded High Performance applications where the best possible wear protection is desired, the obvious choice would be 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SM or 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN, which are the only oils in this test that provide INCREDIBLE wear protection.

So, GM got it right about which oil to recommend in their U.S. Z06 Corvette’s. One can only speculate that perhaps they expect the U.S. cars to be run harder, so they call for the best protection in those engines. Although, general availability in Canada and Europe may also play a part in what oil they recommend. Whatever the case, both oil viscosities had to meet GM’s endurance testing requirements.

Folks can of course decide for themselves which oil they want to run in their own cars. But now, they have the accurate test data to make an informed decision.

NOTE: After this piece was originally written, 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API “SM” has been phased out and replaced TWICE by a newer API “SN” version. See the Wear Protection Ranking List in Section 1, for the current psi value and ranking position

#25 ·
I actually rev high but i am more then sure the mobil 0w40 is more then relieable enough for my engine. I live in the warm part of California so never experienced a true cold start. Great info that oil website helpped my buddy find out about his e92 m3 having worn out crank bearings at 15,000miles. I know old time mechanics that say "all oils are the same and syntethic is a mark up" but i don't argue with him because he is a bit stubborn at times.

#27 ·
Motor oils,have gone so high in price,I use whats on sale.But I don't use,wal mart or other generic oils.I use diesel oils,because I have no cats.I don't like these new cutting oils,that were made to sacrafice lifespan,in favor of fuel mileage.I miss the single weight oil of the pass,that had more anti wear additives.

#30 ·
It has the older chemicals,that improves wear capability.It has more detergents to keep engine clean. It can handle higher temps,when climbing mountains,and heavy loads.This stuff was taken out of gasoline motor oils,by epa.Remember Car makers want to sell cars,they don't want your car to last decades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.