Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my Mog back on the road I'm trying to obtain some implements. I recently picked up a Schmidt plow and was considering looking for a case backhoe. My mog orgionally had a backhoe so I have the lift cylinders, high volume pump, dual rear springs etc. But I wanted to check and see if it is going to be big enough to do what I need it to do.

I am trying to see if the case backhoes are large enough to remove stumps from the ground and can dig a 6-7 foot trench?

·
Registered
1957 Unimog 30, 1999 E320, 2004 E320
352 Posts
I know the hoe that is on the SEE tractor is not identical but I believe it's very similar to the hoe that Case put onto their Unimogs.

In the case of the SEE, the hoe can easily over power the machine and drag it around the yard, especially when your doing stump work. A full bucket of dirt is also more then enough to lift a stabilizer if you do a full swing and extend the boom any significant amount and keep in mind that the SEE frame is heavier then your Case frame and will likely have less flex.

An experienced backhoe operator would likely be very disapointed with the performance of the hoe in general but an experienced operator would also likely have a better time compensating for those limits as well.

The bottom line in my opinion is if you plan on doing serious work then you'd be better off getting a proper machine. If you're looking for a toy to tear up the lawn with, the Case hoe will likely suffice.

Jason

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,448 Posts
I regularly run my HT-11A backhoe, which from what I can tell is nearly identical in capacity to the Case version. Entirely different design though. My limitation has been the anchoring of the truck, not the power of the backhoe. Stumping, unfortunately, is the most frequent use I put my machine to, and I second the note that the truck can be dragged around by the hoe. At the moment, one of my projects is to fabricate a push blade, similar to a skidder, so I can dig that into the ground to provide more anchorage to allow me to utilize the backhoe to it's full ability. Do chase down a hoe though, I can't tell you how great it is to move from one site to another (I frequently drive from southern Massachusetts to central Maine and points in between with mine for various projects) with ease and convenience. Some tinkering will make a good machine great, I'm sure of that. However, never forget that the Mog is an assembly of compromises, so although it will do nearly anything, specialized equipment will always out perform it in the specialized activities. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. That is what i wanted to know. I will keep an eye out for a case backhoe once one comes up for sale.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Great for digging trenches, way deeper than 7-8 feet. Lousy for pulling stumps. A 406-16 just isn't heavy enough to anchor the truck, unless maybe you have a front blade for it. A nice part time machine, but a bit clumsy.

·
Registered
'75 406.121, '79 406.121 & '80 406.120 (Lake Placid)
459 Posts
Following up on esde's comment about anchoring, a FL-4 bucket loader is a common complement - based upon my observation - to the backhoe. Recommend an extend-a-hoe if you can get one, reduces the need to move the Mog. Also echo comments that the hoes' lack of power is not the issue.

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
Are you doing this work for yourself? Do you have time to play? If so, the Case backhoe will do all you mentioned you want to do. It'll just be slower than a big commercial backhoe or trackhoe. The 406 will do a decent job of holding against a pull if that pull is upward, forcing the stabilizers into the ground. If you try to push down (as in starting the hole), yep, the 406 will give you a ride.

Getting stumps out, try to use the breakout force of the bucket. You'll have to dig around a big stump, but will succeed. Cut roots one at a time, clear a doughnut around the top of the stump then leverage out the tap root using the main stump body and the bucket. That way the 406 chassis is not being pushed or pulled as much.

A good technique is to dig out the stumps before the tree is cut off, LOL. The weight of the tree is your friend, just be sure it falls the right way. With the 406 about 10 feet from the base and the boom upward at a slope against the tree maybe 20 ft up, you can lift a heck of a lot while pushing the tree, and the truck is pushed into the ground and won't slide. Watch for 'widowmakers' coming out of the tree, especially if it's dead.

Attached are some pictures of the Case backhoe at work removing trees, and putting in an electrical underground (but only 5 ft). A trench is easy but slow.

If you are doing this commercially, on the clock, better keep the jobs small :)

Now that I have my Mog back on the road I'm trying to obtain some implements. I recently picked up a Schmidt plow and was considering looking for a case backhoe. My mog orgionally had a backhoe so I have the lift cylinders, high volume pump, dual rear springs etc. But I wanted to check and see if it is going to be big enough to do what I need it to do.

I am trying to see if the case backhoes are large enough to remove stumps from the ground and can dig a 6-7 foot trench?

Attachments

·
Registered
404.1 ragtop Doka
324 Posts
Stump Grinder? I have seen them used on wheel tractors as long as 35 years ago, either PTO driven or self-powered, mounted on a three point hitch... much easier than a hoe, and 1 foot below grade is the norm. A from mount with controls in the cab would be slick.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Stump Grinder? I have seen them used on wheel tractors as long as 35 years ago, either PTO driven or self-powered, mounted on a three point hitch... much easier than a hoe, and 1 foot below grade is the norm. A from mount with controls in the cab would be slick.
I had about 1 1/2' diameter chokecherries in my back yard. I cut them down as far as I could and got a stump grinder. By time I hit about 8-12" below grade, the stump was gone and I was only hitting dirt. Not sure how far down bigger trees go.

To get rid of trees, my dad used to cut them flush with the ground, drill holes in the trees and soak them with kerosene and then burn them out. But that only works good with rotten trees. Harder trees wouldn't really soak up much kerosene.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hammoger, I plan on doing all this work myself, just for me. I need to removed some tree stumps, dig some trenches for my heating system, and some trenches for the electrical lines. So i do have time. I figured it would be slighty slower then a standard backhoe. I figured if it was cost effeciant to purchase a backhoe at a reasonable price i may save on the cost of labor of hiring someone, and end up with another usefull tool.

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
Your needs and plans for a 'mog backhoe are a good match. I'm in the same situation. 'Hoes and loaders come up for sale quite often.

Sure the 'mog is a little slower, and it's awkward to jump in the cab to move the truck (compared to a rotating seat on a tractor backhoe, or trackhoe). You'll find that leaving the loader floating (if you add a loader) allows you to drag the truck around with the backhoe. You can even lift the entire back end and slide it sideways. There's lots of power in these backhoe setups.

Are you putting in a geothermal heat pump? You'll like it!! ...or maybe an outdoor log burner ?

Bob

·
Registered
Past: '69 421, Present: '82 Pre-SEE 406
489 Posts
hammoger, I plan on doing all this work myself, just for me. I need to removed some tree stumps, dig some trenches for my heating system, and some trenches for the electrical lines. So i do have time. I figured it would be slighty slower then a standard backhoe. I figured if it was cost effeciant to purchase a backhoe at a reasonable price i may save on the cost of labor of hiring someone, and end up with another usefull tool.
In case you need it, I do have a large hydraulic oil cooler I would consider selling if you were interested. It came on the back deck of my truck and was used for cooling while using the backhoe and front loader that hammogger (Bob) now has.

Cheers,

Corey

·
Banned
A lot of very nice Unimog...
438 Posts
Just a quick bit of info,the 580D hoe is by far the best hoe for the 406 Unimog that I have used. It has the best overall reach,feel and power. I know the ext. hoe will reach further, but is pretty impotent when extended.
I have the C series ext hoe the 580 D and a Schaeff side shift unit and one of each is for sale if anyone is interested.
By the way,the 580D is way beefy compared to the others I listed plus parts are very easy to find.

J. Couch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts