Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was in a store last week and this guy was in front of me at the counter and I nearly choked on my gum I was chewing, and I think you can see why....

Jim, if you are going to wear a Harley T-Shirt, this is the one you should be wearing....... LOL!

I am sure you can contact them and they will sell them to you. I am on several mailing lists from HD Dealerships all over the country and most of them have websites.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to. My nickname is "Moped Mike" because I am a big guy, but used to be 100 lbs heavier and the guys said I made a Harley look like a Moped.

I stopped riding when my best friend Jimmy got kiiled on a ride I was supposed to be on and he was in the position I usually ride in.

The guys were on a run one Saturday and they were headed North on 50th West and this old lady was headed Southbound and was Garage Saling and rubbernecked a sale on the east side of the street and flipped a bitch right in front of the pack and Jimmy went right under her car and was stuck there, pinned. All of the guys rushed up and tried to lift the car off him and were yelling for the ladt to get out so they could move it, but she locked herself in the car and refused to get out. Really couldn't blame her with 30 bikers surrounding her car trying to lift it.

They got him out of there after 20 minutes and he was pronounced DOA at the scene. He left behind a daughter, Jenny, and it was really a tragic event here.

Also at the same time, the club I was hanging at there were a few shootings which culminated in the shooting and killing of another close friend Marshall who was the manager of "Schooners" here. He threw some guy out and he went out to his car and got a rifle and shot Marshall in the head right at my table. Marshall was dead before he hit the ground. His Brother Steve was my best friend and we went to school together and the two of us were stunned. Tried to tend to Marshall and running out there to get the guy. At his funeral there were 1500 people and the church only was rated for 800 and since the Mayor, and half the Fire Dept. were there they said it was cool to overstuff the church. People were all doubled up on laps and the aisles were literally full. There was not one free seat in the place. I was in the wings and Steven saw me and pushed his way to me and we hugged and he tried to drag me to sit with him and Terace, Marshall's wife, but I told him I stay put. There was not a dry eye in the place, and for good reason. Marshall was real good people.

So those two events back to back within 6 months caused me to reassess the "Fun" of the biker scene. Besides, it's freakin' COLD riding...

You start off in the morning and it's sub zero, then it's nice during the day. Then the sun drops and it's freakin' freezing again. I already have the beginnings of Arthritis. No thanks to the cold.

That is the main reason I wanted a Benz and why I really want a 107 chassis. That will be my next car. To me, that is the perfect Sunday drive vehicle. Start off in the morning with the top up, once it warm up you drop the top and then when the sun goes down, top back up for the cold run home.

Am I wrong?

The SEC is nice, but you don't have that open air feeling like in a convertible. I want a 107 next.

So that is why I don't ride anymore and how I got into the Mercedes Culture.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
Did you sell you bike?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I stopped riding when my best friend Jimmy got kiiled on a ride I was supposed to be on and he was in the position I usually ride in.

The guys were on a run one Saturday and they were headed North on 50th West and this old lady was headed Southbound and was Garage Saling and rubbernecked a sale on the east side of the street and flipped a bitch right in front of the pack and Jimmy went right under her car and was stuck there, pinned. All of the guys rushed up and tried to lift the car off him and were yelling for the ladt to get out so they could move it, but she locked herself in the car and refused to get out. Really couldn't blame her with 30 bikers surrounding her car trying to lift it.

They got him out of there after 20 minutes and he was pronounced DOA at the scene. He left behind a daughter, Jenny, and it was really a traumatic event here.

So that is why I don't ride anymore and how I got into the Mercedes Culture.
sadly happens way too much. i was behind a friend when a honda accord pulled halfway into the street and stopped in front of him. he flipped over the car and flew a good 30 feet. Somehow he walked away. has definitely kept me off a motorcycle...

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Those are two tough stories, Mike. Although I know some of the SD Hells Angels, I'm not qualified to comment on the gang/club violence. I will, however, say that the carnage associated with accidents involving motorcycles is probably not well understood. Hardly a day goes by on trauma call that we don't get a victim in, from the "small" wipe out to major accidents like the Ocotillo wreck...even if people make it, those are almost always life-changing events/injuries. Everyone is definitely better off in a w126!

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
Two sad stories.

I've been riding on motorbikes a lot, while I was still living in Europe. I even had periods without a car and the bike was my only mean of transport. I still own a bike there. I must have rode over 200.000 kms on different bikes in total and was lucky to never be involved in a serious accident, though I found myself in very scary situations several times. It really makes you realize how fragile we are. Accidents are often due to the mistake of car drivers and here in the US cars are in general bigger with all these SUV and utility trucks on the road. They are less forgiving in case of an accident involving a bike.

But at least all these years on a bike taught me to look way ahead on the the road and instinctively try to anticipate other drivers' moves. It also tought me to keep long security distances. It keeps me safer also in a car.

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
Two sad stories.

But at least all these years on a bike taught me to look way ahead on the the road and instinctively try to anticipate other drivers' moves. It also tought me to keep long security distances. It keeps me safer also in a car.
Very true. It's even sadder to lose a friend due to a car owner's mistakes.

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Shift gears

All this is OT, I realize, but with some of the past resentment expressed at "old guys" with their trick W126's... more fodder? :D
As one blogger wrote, "The 60-70-year old riders have trouble lifting a leg over the seat because of arthritis. And finger joints hurt with the cold air and engine vibration."

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. I've often thought about getting a bike..but my other half won't let me and it's due to stories like yours. The two things that stop me from getting a 107 is I tried fitting in one and I was too tall..plus that it has no roll bars. Around here, our roads are high with deep ditches..and it's very easy to get off the road and end up rolling.

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
While we're OT here...

...here's my regular ride to work 6 mos. of the year. Keeps the kliks off the SEC and SL. Waaaaay easier on fuel - this 650 gets 50 to the imperial gallon without trying. A fair bit faster to 60 than the 240D I can tell you.

And still kicking Sportster arse after 40 yrs. Not that that's a big deal or anything.

H-D....don't get me started.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice Triumph!

We never heard from Jim on this!

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Hey thanks Mike....doing a 75 Guzzi this winter. Never a dull moment at the farm...

Might just have landed the white SEC in Vancouver - motor sounds ok, tranny issues, is a driver...we're at 1.5K cash now. SDC candidate fer sher.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts