Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE: To jump directly to the photos on this thread please see pages 5-9.

This is written from a hotel near the San Francisco Airport.

Today I was down in the San Francisco area and was able to restablish my connection with Barry Taylor, who as you know in the late 1980's purchased the entire AMG inventory from the mother AMG store in Westmont Illinois, also the inventory of the AMG facility at Beverly Hills Motoring, and some other AMG North America facilities that closed about that time.

I had lost contact with Barry in 2003 about a year before I moved away from San Francisco, where I then had a house that I lived in.

This time, though, I was able to meet with him at his shop, and I spent about 3 hours with him and his assistant Jeff, talking to him, and took a good long look at his inventory.

I have many many pictures of what I saw. To my knowledge, this will be the first time, that pictures of his AMG W126 inventory has ever been seen, anywhere, on the Internet!!!.

The W126 AMG inventory consists of many many brand new AMG parts:
Body kits, wheels, wood kits, differentials, engines, wide body kit coupe panels, exhausts & cat converters, basically, he said, about anything AMG ever made for the W126.

I also took pictures of his AMG car collection that he had in 2 adjacent warehouses. Some of these cars as you may recall were recently spotted in Craigslist. Basically all of it is up to be for sale.

Unfortunately I did NOT have my laptop with me as I expected to be home tonight, and therefore can't put the photos with this post, however, there are a LOT of them, proving that this inventory indeed exists, and late tomorrow night or the following morning, I will download them and post all of them after I get home.

I was supposed to be at the Courthouse in Redwood City today, to pick up a divorce file of my ex's next divorce after me, because I discovered the guy had 3 divorces, not just 2, as my lawyer and I had thought, (long messy story, these two have about 5 divorces between the 2 of them!!!!):eek::rolleyes::crybaby2: and I need to obtain his 3rd divorce file...

...but in any event, my time at Barry Taylor's shop took me so long I got out of there when the sun was setting at the Courthouse, (about 40 miles away, across the bay) and it had already closed for the day. So I will be back there tomorrow to take care of that, (and maybe see this girl I like too, in San Jose) BUT on the way back I have another appointment to see Barry again and talk some more.

Those of you familiar with my posts and travel know that I post here with extensive stories and many PICTURES.

So, when I get back home tomorrow or the next day I will reveal in more detail exactly what I saw, not only the AMG W126 parts, and all of them are FOR SALE!!!, and his philosophy regarding how he does business, why it is what it is, and whatever else I can remember.

I will say this now: To my surprise, he has not gone back to Germany to buy more cars to purchase, import and sell AMG and other exotics (Brabus, Lorinser, etc.) since his 2003 trip to Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Austria.

He is a still a fully licensed California used car dealer, and a licensed and registered gray market importer.

His intention (now that he is semi retired,) is to return to the high performance tuning of AMG vehicles, which *WILL* include W126 cars also.

I have known him personally since 1985 at the height of the gray market, when he was bringing in hundreds of cars.

One of them, a brand new 1984 500SEC in Lapis blue, was imported new in 1985 for my then boss, a San Francisco Superior Court judge (now a retired appellate court Judge) who paid Barry $40,000 for the car, and an additional $30,000 for a full AMG conversion, including a set of gold BBS wheels, full AMG suspension, transmission, engine, interior and other AMG mods, and full certification for California, down to the California License plates.

For Christmas 1985 the judge asked me to drive this car, complete with ski racks and skis on top, from San Francisco to Denver so he could have it at his disposal when he skiied in Aspen for the winter.

I knew nothing about Mercedes back in 1985 but specifically remember that the judge has $2500 worth of new lapis blue AMG penta wheels fitted with Mud and snow tires fitted onto the car for this trip.

That journey changed my life: at the end of it, I absolutely *KNEW* that somehow, some day, I MUST own one of these, though I had no idea how or when. That dream finally came true about 10 years later.....and I still have the car....

NOTE: Barry has told me today that I have permission to speak freely about what everything I saw and what we talked about, today, without prior review of my remarks before they are posted here.. I specifically requested this of him.

Please stay tuned!!!! More to come, WITH PICTURES!!!!!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
is the mess cleaned up yet? last time I was there there were literally piles of parts.

I look forward to the pictures of his other cars I was unable to see.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Wish I'd known you were coming over, heading to Yoshi's tomorrow night but otherwise would buy dinner.

Good luck at the courthouse and with the AMG dreams. (Curiously, the first MB I ever drove also belonged to a judge.)

·
Registered
909 Posts
BTW - His website sucks....

I wonder if he will trade website work for cool parts?
(Hehehe... If so, I would be more than happy to do it!)

(Cascade, you should ask for me.... :D )

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
BTW - His website sucks....

I wonder if he will trade website work for cool parts?
(Hehehe... If so, I would be more than happy to do it!)

(Cascade, you should ask for me.... :D )
HAH, I just *BET* you would......

heh...one bite of the apple is NEVER good enough for you people..you always want TWO...or THREE....

He really likes his euro '99 Brabus G-Wagen that he has. Jeff is driving it now, and I have pic's of that vehicle too. It has Burlwood surrounds on the dash gauges, real leather on the dashboard and on the doors, an unbelievable G500.

Want me to *REALLY* go for the gusto and ask him to give you the pink slip to it for your work?

Barry's "shop car" is now is a lowered W210 wagon with an AMG 6.0 in it. I took pic's of it.

He told me has his eye on a W211 wagon like it, to replace it with, but as of now it's still in Germany and the owner hasn't given it up yet. Barry is waiting for it like a hawk with its wings out.

His old silver green lowered W123 AMG 500TE wagon is now in the warehouse for sale....it's fully certified and converted, California legal, but has NEVER been licensed, ever, in the USA, as he drove it on dealer plates all its life, so whoever buys that bad boy will be its first California registered owner.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Way too cool! PICS PICS PICS!

I'm interested to know from Barry of AMG's came w/ the badging standard across the board i.e. delete 500SEC and put the AMG emblem in place, or was it done on a case on case basis, put the AMG on the right side if the car already had the standard emblems?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wonderful write up, I cant wait to hear the rest.
I wish I had never moved out of the States :thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
posts llike these make me melt!!!

Just bring on the pics!!!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see posted prices from Barry, or if we do, they still won't be realistic. He'll probably go to his grave still owning most of the cars and parts he has. It will be a major tease for most of us! :)

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
technical specs, moulds and drawings

Anyone know who bought up the stock in Japan?
Maybe we can get an update of this:

Gone, gone, gone. I talked to Barry Taylor two weeks ago about this exact issue. I called him to get some new-in-box Pentas for my SL ($2500!), and he mentioned he had a set of Thialand-made Pentas that look identical (created b/c of huge demand, no supply in the '80s). That led us to discuss the toolings, the castings, etc. of the original AMG parts. He said it was common practice for a few lawyers to go to the supplier's facilities and request for them to destroy the AMG stuff, and the lawyers would not leave the premises until they personally witnessed everything being destroyed.

Gone, gone, gone. Some day, he told me, he was hoping to get his inventory back to AMG in Affalterbach so they could use his inventory as the molds for new castings on what they needed.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1357233-amg-pre-merger-question.html

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You mean this is a real, genuine AMG treasure hoard this time!!! ;)
Real, yes. Realistic is another question (meaning prices and willingness to sell, ship, provide friendly info, etc)...

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
BTE

Here's a picture I took in 2004 when I was working at BTE. Barry's standing in front of his shop with an E50, an E55, and an E60. IIRC, the E60 was Han Werner Aufrecht's personal car (he was the "A" in AMG).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Great news Cascade.

Looking forward to the pictures. :)

1 - 20 of 292 Posts