Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 slc
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as one who is about to embark on the road of classic car ownership with my first mercedes 450 SLC, 1976. I would like an opinion or two as to whether or not I will devalue the car by increasing the hole size from the original specs. to accept a pair of very high quality Infinity loudspeakers at the rear. I will be fitting new fronts as well and there seems to be confusion in some circles as to the correct size for these . Is it 3" or 3.5" round, or can it be 4", What is correct ?

I am going to be removing the original Becker radio/cassette which I will be keeping on my garage shelf. I am installing a new Sony high quality am/fm/cd/mp3 player which has a similar loading tray to a computer cd drive which is supposed to be skip free and coupling this to an amp in the trunk in order to get the best quality possible from the speakers. I am not a young man being 50 years old. I just appreciate high quality sound at reasonable volume and do not intend to turn this magnificent vehicle into a boom box. I would also like an opinion as to the best spot in which to mount the amp. it is nice that the power feed will be short with the battery being in the trunk, so I feel sure the technician will be pleased with that. Any responses welcomed. BTW. does $2000 Canadian sound excessive or is that what is required for a decent system these days. Can I do better ?

Gordon Foster
1976 450 slc, 165000kms

·
Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
690 Posts
SLC speakers

Unfortunately, larger rear speakers will not do much for the bass response in an SLC unless you do some further mods. The back of the speakers only use the cabin ventilation exhaust ducts rather than the boot or trunk as an enclosure. To obtain reasonable bass response you need to drill or cut openings through the bottom of this duct into the boot or trunk (taking care not to damage the fuel tank). This mod is neither visible from above or in the boot/trunk and the improvement in sound quality is worthwhile. Larger speakers can be mounted using spacers if you do not wish to cut the rear shelf. This at least allows the original speakers to be refitted should originality ever become important, irrespective of whether or not the above mod has been performed. My SLC has 6.5" rear speakers mounted on spacers such that the shelf did not need to be cut. They are vented below to the boot/trunk and the bass response is good.

Regarding the front speakers, 4" is the correct size. Replacements will fit so long as the magnets are not too large. Large magnets will foul on the air vent controls from memory. I would remove the originals and use them as a sample when sourcing replacements. I had replacement speakers in the front of my SLC for a while but when they eventually failed I refitted the originals. The rear speakers do most of the work anyway.

·
Registered
450 slc
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: SLC speakers

Unfortunately, larger rear speakers will not do much for the bass response in an SLC unless you do some further mods. The back of the speakers only use the cabin ventilation exhaust ducts rather than the boot or trunk as an enclosure. To obtain reasonable bass response you need to drill or cut openings through the bottom of this duct into the boot or trunk (taking care not to damage the fuel tank). This mod is neither visible from above or in the boot/trunk and the improvement in sound quality is worthwhile. Larger speakers can be mounted using spacers if you do not wish to cut the rear shelf. This at least allows the original speakers to be refitted should originality ever become important, irrespective of whether or not the above mod has been performed. My SLC has 6.5" rear speakers mounted on spacers such that the shelf did not need to be cut. They are vented below to the boot/trunk and the bass response is good.

Regarding the front speakers, 4" is the correct size. Replacements will fit so long as the magnets are not too large. Large magnets will foul on the air vent controls from memory. I would remove the originals and use them as a sample when sourcing replacements. I had replacement speakers in the front of my SLC for a while but when they eventually failed I refitted the originals. The rear speakers do most of the work anyway.

·
Registered
1977 350SLC
4 Posts
Replacing speakers (and rear deck) in '77 350SLC

I know this is a really old thread, but by the same token I figure you've probably worked out some bugs, and hopefully I can benefit from your experience. My question, like my project, has three parts;

1) Has anyone successfully replaced the front speakers in a 350/450SLC? I bought some 4" Blaupunkts, but the metal basket/flange on them prevents their fitting neatly into the original openings. I suppose I could attach them from behind, but that would require pulling apart large sections of the dash, and possibly the steering column on the driver's side. Any ideas?

2) Essentially the same problem in the back... the stock rear speakers (and the corresponding opening) are about 5" in diameter, just slightly too small for standard 5.25" aftermarkets. The new speakers sort of fit in the openings, but they won't rest completely flush with the deck. Has anyone found an adapter or spacer that will allow larger speakers to go in without cutting the surrounding metal? Unfortunately I can't install them from underneath the rear deck because the exhaust ducting that contains the wires can't be accessed from either the trunk or the the seat.

3) While I've got the rear seat off... can anyone recommend a good place to buy replacement velour/fabric to reupholster the deck? The original one is still intact, but the fabric is badly sun-bleached and starting to decay. I figure I might as well cut a new deck out of particle board, but don't know where to look for velour that will match the rest of the interior and look relatively original.

Any insights/advice greatly appreicated!

GM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts