Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Suckers suck

NorCal_ML320 said:
Don't know if anybody saw this article already from cartalk; Tom and Ray discussing using suction type vs. oil drain by gravity.

Does this oil-changing idea suck? - 05/06/2007 - MiamiHerald.com
I have used both methods, I always drain or vacuum hot oil. In my cars I drain the oil some times for hours. then pour it off in to the empty oil bottles after I do this I take the drain pan out in to the sun light to see the amount of metal still in the bottom of the pan. If you have ever done this you will realize that a vacuum system would never remove this metal particulates.
When I use the vacuum system it is not the dip stick type. The system I have used is what you would find on a large yacht, the engine pan is designed for 3/4 aeroquip hose at the lowest point in the pan and the pump is a 1 hp gear drive, it evacuates the oil at an extreme rate (faster than gravity) it takes 17 minutes to remove 19 gallons of oil. It works quite well.
If you use the dip stick type pump to remove your oil, you are on your own, it is halfa$$ and you know it. I know that Mercedes Benz has an oil vacuum that they use at the dealerships, this only saves them money. and in many places has been mandated by EPA.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,094 Posts
TOM AND RAY MAGLIOZZI??? Sounds like a comedy team.
Sorry but I'm going to continue to suck since I have seen previous articles that claim "Sucking" actualy removes More oil and More bottom deposits. I don't know why people think that opening the drain plug sweeps the bottom of the pan clean. The oil drains from directly above the plug opening and not across the bottom of the pan. The oil near the bottom of the pan only drains out under low pressure at the end of the drain cycle where as the suction method, in the case of the dipstick design in the ML, sucks up the deposits from the bottom of the oil pan right from the start of the drain cycle and thus actually gets more of the deposits. And I'm sure many people will disagree and this debate will go on forever.
Mike

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,484 Posts
Mike's ML said:
TOM AND RAY MAGLIOZZI??? Sounds like a comedy team.
Sorry but I'm going to continue to suck since I have seen previous articles that claim "Sucking" actualy removes More oil and More bottom deposits. I don't know why people think that opening the drain plug sweeps the bottom of the pan clean. The oil drains from directly above the plug opening and not across the bottom of the pan. The oil near the bottom of the pan only drains out under low pressure at the end of the drain cycle where as the suction method, in the case of the dipstick design in the ML, sucks up the deposits from the bottom of the oil pan right from the start of the drain cycle and thus actually gets more of the deposits. And I'm sure many people will disagree and this debate will go on forever.
Mike
Not really a disagreement becasue your gravity theory seems OK. I did ask my locak MB shop (3-4yrs ago) how they did the oils in my cars and the said they said they don't use the suction method becasue of the cost of the machine required for this!!!! They drain via gravity!!! That got me thinking: how can my $98 MitiVac beat their very expensive machine??? I think the vacuum type systems do a pretty good job but I wouldn't rely on a simple MitiVac for all my oil changes. MitiVac for A service, dealer for B service.

·
Registered
01 ML55 AMG
179 Posts
Dipstick tube does NOT reach the bottom of the pan guys - please 'splain how you think more oil is gonna go up a tube once it is not submerged in oil? And if this strange suction device you use has it's own tube, it is only going to hit the pan in a single isolated area. And NO one seems to be willing to suck it out and then open the drain plug and tell me what runs out - that would settle this stupid argument once and for all. Why is there a drain plug then? Sounds like some folks are afraid to get under their trucks.

And yes Virginia, the fluid does drain across the bottom of the pan not from some mysterious place 'above' - where do ya'll come up with this stuff? Fluid dynamics and logic aren't your strong points.

·
Registered
02 S430 - 00 ML55 - 91 NSX
259 Posts
ToneMonday said:
And NO one seems to be willing to suck it out and then open the drain plug and tell me what runs out - that would settle this stupid argument once and for all. Why is there a drain plug then? Sounds like some folks are afraid to get under their trucks.
I did just that. Sucked up all the oil then open the drain plug to see what is left. There were only a few drops left coming out of the drain. So the pump method does a pretty good job in getting all the oil out.

The suction device do have a separate hose that will go to the bottom of the pan.

Hand pump device actually takes longer to change oil than draining it. If you are serious you need a air powered oil evacuator. I almost got one at Harbor frieght but they were sold out.

IMHO You still should drain the oil at the pan every other or every third oil change.

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
fkong777 said:
IMHO You still should drain the oil at the pan every other or every third oil change.
This makes sense to me...

If the dealer (I haven't checked with mine yet, but I will) is using a suction device, then what's the point of not doing it yourself with a mityvac? It seems reasonable that you would want to drain from the bottom from time to time.

Oil filters help. I would think that if particulates are floating in the oil, they would be pulled out by the filter. If they are too heavy to float, then they will sit in the bottom of the pan until you drain it using the plug. I suspect, however, that flushing would be required to get the heavy particles. Of course, now I'm going beyond the norm.

·
Registered
2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
980 Posts
well the only downside with the mityvac is it takes too long to drain the oil. I have a mityvac, but I do drain from the plug because its faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts