Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I decided to buy the leads and stuff to do the diags on the beast.. It told me I have a error code on the R/R/ wheel sensor.. cleared that and a few other minor bits and drove around for a time 3-4 weeks then the ASR light comes on so I stop wait fire up and carry on driving....It happens again.. still not fixed the RR sensor .. so I go and plug in again. clear the code.. look to see if there is any thing else.. there isnt.. turn key to see if I can get live data..and the Starship wont start..turns ok coughs a little picks up on one or two.. but wont run.

.This is the first time since I have owned the car it wont fire up..

Sensible advice and comments would be apreciated..:eek:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So...... where are all the rocket scientists when you need them on this one ?
or is this one of those

"you got into it on your own.. get out of it on your own" threads??

·
Registered
S600 C140; 200E W123; 200D w124
67 Posts
If Your car is a 93 model, some of the components are not digital, they are analog. Carsoft has two different menus to run either analog or digital test, unfortunately in the analog side you can not run all the tests at once but one by one. Have you tried to run each of the appropriate analog components tests? Did you reset anything on the FI system? Once I had a similar problem of not starting and then got into LM, after playing with the reset menu. CS is not as comprehensive as DAS STAR is, I have both but I relay on the MB diag box. I have encountered some dead end roads with CS, that STAR solved easily. Do you have the multiplexer version of carsoft? Do you have de CIS active? Reading the manual on the section about the recommended sequence of tests would help. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to use CS, just read the manual first and get acquainted with your car's systems, this forum is a jewel box in this regard. And yes, we all are on our own...
There is a comprehensive thread on CS 7.4 in the 129 forum as well as in the mbshop forum. If your CS box sees no errors, they can be originated from a no computer controlled component, like wires, distributor, fuel pumps, coils, etc. Check them all.
Hope it helps.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.. My SEC is a 94 And I do understand the diff between the A/D systems
As I said I ran all the ano tests for my car..I have the multiplex unit in fact I have two one old one recent..this is about the new version of CS..I will read the manual again.. but I am reluctant to plug up the lappy in case I do more damage..

so any other suggestions ?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone help with the breakout box .. banana plugs to computer etc..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would give it a try. What do you need to know? Is it about the CarSoft multiplexer scanner box, or a RS-232 break out box? Or software? I have used the carsoft tool pretty often, lets see how I can help.
Fray

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks.. So I bought the stuff off EBAY and got myself a dell 810 to put it on and installed WIS and carsoft 7.4 with updates to 7.4+
both seem to work ok.. I also have a USB to Rs232 converter.. however the first time i used the software I used the USB emulator and got a code for the back wheel sensor L4(6) I cleared that and things where ok for a while then i get ASR again..I hook up again but this time without the emulator.. clear the code and a gearbox code then try to start.... car wont fire..

I left it for a week.. then tried again.. starts engine fine.. drives ok
Then ASR light comes on.. I stop wait drive off and now have large amounts of thick white smoke when on tickover or at the lights.. I think it is overfueling on one side but still getting asr from a sensor I dont have.. There is no speed sensor on the right rear wheel.. there is one on the diff.. so i need to try and understand what is going on so i can fix it..BUT I dont want to do any more damage or create more problems..so I need some help
I have
1 carsoft decoder box ..new
! carsoft decoder box .. OLD
1 38 pin to rs232
1 38 pin to breakout box
1 three plug banana lead to rs232
eternal optimism.. and a willingness to sort this problem out

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Merc600sec,
When I bought the CarSoft system, they strongly recommended not to use an USB to serial, (RS232), adapter, it could cause bogus results in both reading an error and sending a command, (as in erasing an error). This could be a key issue. You must use a native built in serial port or a PCMCIA to serial port adapter card, as you can see in the pic attached.

I suggest you to run all the tests again with the proper serial interface and pull all the errors and conditions found. There is an abridged version of the manual in the welcome screen of the software, it is a kind of help screen. There are instructions with plenty of photos on how to connect the cables in both the pc and the car diag connector. You must use the 38 pin connector if you have the multiplexer. You don't need to use the banana plugs. The box I have has 3 connectors and three dual color ]LED'S, (see pics attached), on one side there is a 37 pin male connector, you must connect there the 38 pin diag cable that hs a female 37 pin on the other side. On the opposite side of the box there is a 9 pin female connector that you should use to connect a straight serial cable to your computer serial port, (NOT TO AN USB/SERIAL EMULATOR). In addition on this same side there are three LEDs: Power, MCU and K, along with a round connector with 3 pins that you will not use for your 600. You can check the handshake process sequence with the LEDs activity.

Follow the test procedure as stated in the manual, or in the software initial screen, and I am sure you will find out what errors are active or stored as well as what modules might have communication problems, not respond or does not exist. If you find some errors in the complete test, you must run the specific module test in order to pinpoint the cause. Some times one condition triggers several errors in different modules and other times some errors in one module hide errors in others. So an individual module check is highly recommended. This is a very important differentiation between CarSoft and DAS STAR.

CarSoft is relatively simple and easy to use, if you don´t mess around with the special functions like the adaptation erase, you should not make any harm to your car while using it, unless as mentioned before it is receiving and sending bogus info from and to the CAN in the car.

Pics are from a w202, but for illustration and verification purposes are useful.

Along with the LED's blinking before and during a test, there are some relay noises from the CS box.

Hope this would help, if need some more info or elaboration on a specific task, please let me know, I will try to help.
Good luck.
Fray

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 C320CDI
8 Posts
Has anyone managed to get CIS running ?

If so can you please tell me how as I am unable to fire it up for some reason.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What version do you have.. running on what system ?

·
Registered
C220 CDI Estate Yr 2000
6 Posts
Hi,
Did you find out how to install Carsoft CIS, I too have got the Carsoft 7.4 and CIS. I installed the Carsoft 7.4 and that is working fine (had installation instructions)but the CIS had no installation instructions, I have tried to install it but keep getting the message CIS is not initialised by Carsoft diagnostics program. I was looking through the posts and saw that you had the same problem. any ideas will be helpful.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CIS ? you needto explain.. However I will be in your part of the planet in the next week or two.. keep in touch..

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes-Benz S 600 L (W140)
1,272 Posts
Hello Merc600sec,
When I bought the CarSoft system, they strongly recommended not to use an USB to serial, (RS232), adapter, it could cause bogus results in both reading an error and sending a command, (as in erasing an error). This could be a key issue. You must use a native built in serial port or a PCMCIA to serial port adapter card, as you can see in the pic attached.

I suggest you to run all the tests again with the proper serial interface and pull all the errors and conditions found. There is an abridged version of the manual in the welcome screen of the software, it is a kind of help screen. There are instructions with plenty of photos on how to connect the cables in both the pc and the car diag connector. You must use the 38 pin connector if you have the multiplexer. You don't need to use the banana plugs. The box I have has 3 connectors and three dual color ]LED'S, (see pics attached), on one side there is a 37 pin male connector, you must connect there the 38 pin diag cable that hs a female 37 pin on the other side. On the opposite side of the box there is a 9 pin female connector that you should use to connect a straight serial cable to your computer serial port, (NOT TO AN USB/SERIAL EMULATOR). In addition on this same side there are three LEDs: Power, MCU and K, along with a round connector with 3 pins that you will not use for your 600. You can check the handshake process sequence with the LEDs activity.

Follow the test procedure as stated in the manual, or in the software initial screen, and I am sure you will find out what errors are active or stored as well as what modules might have communication problems, not respond or does not exist. If you find some errors in the complete test, you must run the specific module test in order to pinpoint the cause. Some times one condition triggers several errors in different modules and other times some errors in one module hide errors in others. So an individual module check is highly recommended. This is a very important differentiation between CarSoft and DAS STAR.

CarSoft is relatively simple and easy to use, if you don´t mess around with the special functions like the adaptation erase, you should not make any harm to your car while using it, unless as mentioned before it is receiving and sending bogus info from and to the CAN in the car.

Pics are from a w202, but for illustration and verification purposes are useful.

Along with the LED's blinking before and during a test, there are some relay noises from the CS box.

Hope this would help, if need some more info or elaboration on a specific task, please let me know, I will try to help.
Good luck.
Fray
fray, if you dont mind cab you tell how much does that softare costs, i have a 96 W140 S600, with ODB II,
And from where can i buy it, and what windows will it work on,
If you could PM me that will be great .

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello MBs600...,
PM sent, it runs on XP and follow ups. The multiplexer unit comes with the 38 pin, OBDII and banana plugs connector cables, the software asks at start what connector are you using. As stated in quoted msg. a native comm port is mandatory.
Regards,
fray

·
Registered
1994 S600 coupe
27 Posts
Not model specific, but typically thick white smoke means water in the combustion chambers... May not be related to the Carsoft and just be a coincidence that it happened now. Typically thick white smoke means blown head gasket.

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes-Benz S 600 L (W140)
1,272 Posts
Hello MBs600...,
PM sent, it runs on XP and follow ups. The multiplexer unit comes with the 38 pin, OBDII and banana plugs connector cables, the software asks at start what connector are you using. As stated in quoted msg. a native comm port is mandatory.
Regards,
fray
Thanks for your reply,
I appreciate it

·
Registered
3 Posts
carsoft

I tried to use mine but when I click the start button and try to activate it when I put the s/n and product code it tells me that I have the wrong numbers ! am I doing something wrong because they gave me to numbers but I can not change the grayed out number ?help......:crybaby2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts