Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 300D
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a frustrated former Ford dealer mechanic, trying to learn about my first modern MB, a 96 E300D. Can't find manuals or a STAR DVD, I did get a 38 pin to OBDII cable, though it connected it provided very little information. My question is does anyone have DIRECT experience w/the Carsoft diagnostic systems? I live in Pittsburgh and am would like to meet another like minded MB owner determined to figure out the various systems on the E series, particularly the Diesels, email a local phone number if interested.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Welcome, one thing for sure your mechanical ability will no doubt help, I personally think that the older W210 MB diesels are very easy to work and diagnose if you have access to good information.

The other very important aspect of MB diagnostics, like all mfgs they were mandated my the US to provide emission related engine module faults via the OBD and now OBDII, however all other CAN systems are proprietary. An example transmission faults the engine module will store a transmission fault that you can read via the OBD but not clear because it didn't generate the fault and you need MB diagnostic or equal or similar like carsoft to read/delete all of the CAN modules faults.

The carsoft knock off is by far the cheapest diagnostic software to diagnose the MB via the 38 pin connector.

The better set up is find a cheap note book with a built in serial port load XP Pro and carsoft and away you go-----an alternative is via the USB port. I tried many before I found one at Radio Shack that carsoft liked and operates error free.

A cheap way to learn the diesel is get a free subscription to MB EPC(electronic parts catalog)----plug your VIN and away you go---you will see all the parts and how they go together and with you mechanical experience this will be a piece of cake.

A good source for very inexpensive original parts is Skyland Auto in Ashville. They are very helpful, offer like most free shipping over 50 bucks.

Good luck they are very good diesel cars!!

·
Registered
2008 E350, 2001 E320 Wagon; 2000 S430
30 Posts
If you have a multiplexer type adapter, than you don't need a 38 pin to OBDII cable (this has only 3 wires and allows only the engine data to be read).
The multiplexing type adapter has cable direct connection to all 38 pins. If your adapter is the non multiplexing type, you can still connect whit the banana connector to each pin (one at the time) and run the specific diagnostic. You can go back to the main site and search for more details using the "38 pin connector".

·
Registered
1996 300D
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Plutoe I'm leaning towards the carsoft as I'm not really "computer" literate, they seem to offer the software and cables to access the data from the cars systems, thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts