Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz SL600
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take my car to CarMax for appraisal, it is 2007 SL600 39k miles and super clean condition, the guy who appraised it was very impressed with the condition of the car and kept calling the car "This Babe", they offered $24,000 for the car, I smiled and drove back home. I was just curious and did not intend to sell it for that type of money. I have seen 3 of the similar mileage go on BAT for over $30k

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
2,576 Posts
Well, you would need to sell it yourself and sell it soon if you want to get the highest price. The supply squeeze is really driving prices up, and tough to estimate when that is over.

·
Registered
2005 SL 500 R230
49 Posts
Hmm. $24,000.

I'm on the hunt for an SL600 or SL65 AMG. There are none for sale here and when they do come up, the lowest you'll see a 600 advertised for is $70 - $80K.

That's a lot for an aging supercar which is going to need lots of costly maintenance.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
710 Posts
I decided to take my car to CarMax for appraisal, it is 2007 SL600 39k miles and super clean condition, the guy who appraised it was very impressed with the condition of the car and kept calling the car "This Babe", they offered $24,000 for the car, I smiled and drove back home. I was just curious and did not intend to sell it for that type of money. I have seen 3 of the similar mileage go on BAT for over $30k
Not surprising. That is there way of saying politely "We are not interested in your car as it does not fit our customer base, but give it to us and we'll do something with it."

·
Registered
'03 SL500's Tanzanite Blue, Aegean Blue, Mars Red, Alabaster White '11 S550 Flint Gray
152 Posts
I think that is actually a pretty decent wholesale offer. On a CarMax lot, you might put $29,950 on it and expect it to take a while to sell. In the meantime, any roof or suspension issue would cut your margin in half. I have seen a lot of dealers get hurt on these because they can't fix them and don't realize how expensive they are to repair. Door locks not working might be a couple hundred on most cars, more like $2k on an R230.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a 19K mile 2005 SL65 there is one listed locally here for $50k. I don't know the car, have no interest in it, but there aren't a lot of sub-20k SL65s out there for someone who wants a 'collector grade' R230. I would be willing to take a look at it if someone is interested.

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz SL600
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not surprising. That is there way of saying politely "We are not interested in your car as it does not fit our customer base, but give it to us and we'll do something with it."
I think they are interested, they inspected the car thoroughly, I have spent around $9000 in 2020 on this car, not a single leak or issue, ABC pump, plugs any leaks at the time and all fluids replaced, I did the evaluation on CarMax online website and it was $22,000 for excellent condition but when I took it to their lot in person they increased to $24,000, I would think they will sell it for more and there are customers for it for sure.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When somebody goes to a place like CarMax to sell their car outright, I think CarMax views them as somebody in a bind that needs cash NOW.
Hence, they low ball everything. They could care less if they buy it or not. They can just go to the auctions and get cars.
If they were acting as brokers and looking for a 600 for a customer who had cash in hand, then you would see a higher offer.

·
Registered
1998 SL500 and 2013 SL63
17 Posts
Since my motto in life is “too many cars, too little time” lol, over the years I have taken many cars to Carmax for an outright sale appraisal and I have ended up selling 3, maybe 4 to them. The most gratifying offer I ever got (as in more than expected, not numerically highest) was for a Honda Odyssey minivan, and the second was for a Volvo V70 wagon. I never had much luck with any of my sports or “cool” cars.

I think that says something about the cars that Carmax likes…

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
23,519 Posts
Actually Carmax gives fair values. You can always get more selling privately, but they sometimes offer more than dealer trade-in values. In this case, they will not be selling a 2007 SL600 on their lots. First, it's too old, and second, it does not fit their "target market". That means it will get wholesaled, so they are offering book value (probably Mannheim) less $500-$1000 to reimburse them for their time and make a few bucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts