Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 sl 320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New to the forum, first post. I filled in my profile, but if any other etiquette items apply please advise :)

I have a 97 SL320 that I have owned since new in November 96. She has 165k miles now and has been the best car I've ever owned except for one thing: the headlights.

I know my eyes are getting older, but the light from them is ridiculously low. A few years ago I upgraded to the Adsit Euro headlights and they were much of an improvement. But, over the years I have had to replace the lens on the driver's side a couple of times and dealing with the guy who always seems to answer the phone at adsit was an ordeal: attitude and sending out the wrong items and attitude when returning wrong items.

Now I need another driver's side lens and I do not see them listed on their site. Before I called them to see if the lenses were available, I shopped a little and found these

Crystal Clear Projector Headlights - 1997 Mercedes Projector Headlights

and these

Euro Headlights - Crystal Clear - 1997 Mercedes Euro Headlights

I spoke with Ryan there to make sure these were the proper assemblies for my SL and was assured they were. He also told me they were
plug and play
had running lights
used standard bulbs
had plastic lenses
the light throw of the first one was better
they were both DOT legal

I have searched the forum and have found no mention of these lights, so I wanted to seek any info on these from forum members.

Specific reference to plug and play without wiring harness mods, proper fit, quality of workmanship, reliability and durability would be greatly appreciated as well as anything else that may be important.

TIA

John
New Orleans

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
They look good although I am not sure 100% about exact fitment and plug-n-play there. Also, it could also throw the error code (like the light-out light on your car)

Have you considered buying the OEM xenon lights? I know they cost quite high but would look good on R129.

Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see another long owner of R129 (I've owned the R129s since Feb 1996)

My 2nd SL came without xenon and I went ahead and added them (see picture). I later removed the wipers.

If you don't care about the look, you can just buy 2 ballasts and 2 [Phillips] D2R bulbs which will make a whole lot brighter even with dull lenses.

D2S bulbs will work too but too glare for the none projected headlights. If your car came with oem xenon, then use D2S. If it came without xenon, then use D2R xenon bulbs.

Some would sell the "kit" and you can just find a place to mount the ballasts and plug in. I don't know where you are but if you are local here in NOVA, I can help with installing ballasts since I've went through several configurations here.

Good luck.

PS. I just re-read your thread and you are in NO :-(

Attachments

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
Welcome aboard Otto, you'll surely enjoy your stay around here.

I'd stay away from those crystal clear headlight as they:
-will make your SL look like a Honda Civic
-Are generally of poor quality; fade quickly under sun exposure, fog during wash etc...

Make sure it reads R129 - I noticed on the links you posted w140 products.

·
Registered
1997 sl 320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tips.

Because of the wrong lens sent out by adsit in the past I specifically asked "SL320," and they said yes. But, the fact that they are listed as "S-Class" and not "SL" has me a bit concerned.

OEM Xenons are real expensive though, aren't they?

the second link is to a set that does not look so much like a Civic--and I like Civic styling :).

Interesting though you say that because we have had an Acura MDX since last January and I love the lights.

John

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
You can install high intensity discharge lamps in your stock housing.

This is neoken's car, one of our moderators:

As long as it fits R129, regardless of the engine, you're safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts