Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
34 Posts
frame damage

snakeoiler

I ran an Autocheck (similar to carfax) on this vehicle and it is considered 'disqualified' for their buyback protection because it has reported frame damage. Here's the bottom line:

05/29/2004 FL 81 Motor Vehicle Dept.
ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
06/15/2004 ORLANDO, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:0090712878) (Lien Reported)
06/15/2004 CLEARWATER, FL
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
07/12/2005 TAMPA, FL
08/15/2006 TAMPA, FL
08/17/2007 TAMPA, FL
12/31/2007 FL
Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FRAME DAMAGE
01/14/2008 FL 35,159
Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION
01/16/2008 FL 35,159
Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE
01/21/2008 FL
Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS UNIBODY DAMAGE

Looks like a big 'ole red flag to me! :eek:

THANK GOD for carfax/autocheck right?

Best of luck in your search!
Cyndi

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OH WOW!!!!!! thanks soooooooo much, I will keep looking for my next MB

·
Registered
34 Posts
Happy to help!

So many on this board have been helpful to me, it's nice to be able to give back here...I'm not exactly a technical resource, but this is one thing I CAN do! ;)

Cyndi

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very interesting. I just ran the carfax on this car and it shows up as totally clean. So much for carfax! I knew they were not necessarily accurate on older incidents, but it is very interesting that they didn't pick this one up. Carfax does show the car being sold at auction on 1/16, but they make no mention of any issues. As usual, buyer beware.

From Carfax:

01/16/2008 35,159 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Florida
Listed as
a fleet vehicle

No other auction entries on any date!

·
Registered
34 Posts
autocheck vs carfax

One thing we noticed while researching potential cars is that Carfax includes more information about accidents and accident reports than autocheck does. For instance, Carfax (depending on state) might say 'Accident Reported- Front end damage reported' where Autocheck might only say 'Accident reported'.

Personally, I think, if you're really seriously on the hunt for a new car (new to you that is) subscribing to BOTH autocheck and carfax provides you with a more complete picture of vehicle history.

On the flip side, one vehicle listed as having front end damage showed a completely clean paint meter when our dealer checked it at auction. Instead the rear bumper was painted, which clearly can be a far less significant accident than any intrusion into the engine compartment. Without the ability to physically inspect a vehicle, it's hard to say whether or not the note in the carfax/autocheck is accurate. They do offer 'buyback' guarentees for this reason, so I believe that if this guy did buy the car and selected the 'buyback' option with carfax and their report failed to show this frame damage, carfax would have to eat the cost of the car if indeed there is frame damage.

Cyndi

·
Registered
111 Posts
It looks to me like the Carfax buy back warranty only covers things "reported to Carfax." It might be difficult to prove that something was reported to them. I suspect the warranty is pretty much worthless, unless you are able to prove reporting events.

I doubt they would just roll over. I also doubt that they would intentionally leave something out as they have no dog in the fight when it comes to selecting a used car.

I think the real concern is when it comes to recent incidents. It looks like Carfax may lag Autocheck, at least it did in this case. You can bet that is one of the reasons this dealer is looking for a quick turn on ebay. Ebay has a link to Carfax, not Autocheck.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually contacted the dealer to maybe go and see the car, sometimes dealers just need to unload the car off the lot and they reduce the price, I asked him about the damage and I havent heard back from him (figures), in this case someone else will end up with this nightmare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts