Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused about the unlimited use membership, or whatever it is. Do you get that for a specific period of time, or is it as long as you want?

·
Registered
'03 CL500,& '07 GL450
227 Posts
According to the CARFAX website you'll get "unlimited history reports for 30 days. Cost is $24.99. One purchase per household per 6mo. period."

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you get unlimited for one month and then you cant purchase it again for another 6??

That doesnt make much sense.

·
Registered
2006 Silver CLK350 Cabriolet
42 Posts
Carfax users

It is $25.00 USD for 30 days of unlimited use. If you are a AAA member go to WWW.AAA.com and it will only cost $20.00 USD. I used Carfax last summer when shopping for my 97 SL500. I ran approx. 15-20 reports and the various cars and the information was great. It really did turn up some serious problems with some of the cars. I would strongly urge to use it. I is a well spent $20.00 to $25.00 bucks.

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats good to know, because I am a AAA member. The only problem is that I may be car searching for more than a month, but will not be able to get it for another month if I have to wait 6 months.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I have been informed that CAR FAX get its info from Insurance companies. You could take your cat to a body shop, and have them fix it with no record, if you pay direct. There is no legal requirement to report any activity...

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
ok. i've got to weigh in on this. i purchased in january an unlimited one-month subscription. i was in the market for a w126 chassis benzo and as you know the search takes you far and wide to find a good one given age, mileage, yada. in fact, one month is not enough time to find the right one.

anyway ,,, in the month of january, i must've researched 40+ cars - maybe 50? - and i received a nastygram from carfax questioning whether or not i was using the subscription for personal use or commercial use! i had to sign a statement (which i did) saying that i was using the subscription for only personal use. i was (obviously) indeed using it for only personal use as i was looking for a w126. but my point is they didn't believe me that i was researching for personal use -- which is why - i guess - they limit you to an unlimited monthly subscription to 1x/ 6 mos.

they advertise unlimited use - and whilst they gave me unlimited use - they questioned my behaviour and made me attest to the usage. that angered me slightly as i felt they were questioning my integrity. i told them in my statement - that if they did not believe me - to go look at my history usage and they will see that the research i was doing was primiarily on 86-91 w126 chassis cars (and not all kinds of different makes and models as one might expect if i was using the subscription in a commercial manner). anyway, i wanted to share that with you. i never did buy a w126, by the way!

the information contained in these reports IS helpful and in my experience (40-50 reports as discussed above) 90% complete and accurate. i uncovered things by talking to perspective buyers that were not contained in the carfax report. so -- i think the carfax reports are good and directionally correct - but not an eden of sorts to provide 100% comfort. and to be fair, i don't think carfax ever put themselves out as the end all be all in car history, either.

there. i feel better now.

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
sorry - i meant talking to 'sellers' not to 'buyers' in my post above. regrets for the error/ oversight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts