Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey;

Was just given the complete trim interior trim from a buddies C63 AMG. Wants it done in black carbon fiber cloth (no 3M DiNoc here).

So far, have applied carbon fiber cloth and first coat of resin. Parts in pictures below are at VERY early stage and still require trimming and alot of work before they are complete, but they're in process.

The one really cool thing I've tried and it's worked so far, is wrapping the 3 centre dash pieces (center air vents, radio surround, etc) is wrapping all 3 pieces using a single piece of cloth, so when they are complete, there will be one continuous weave through all 3 pieces.... :D

Here are the first pictures (alomg with a couple of the interior before the process began.

Centre console wrapped as one piece.

Separated (still need to cut-out all the holes for the dials, etc):

Cup Holder:

Ashtray:

Shifter Surround + heater controls:

Door Trim:

Seat controls:

Still need to tackle the gauge surround (big black piece around speedo, tach, etc gauges) and he's pushing to get Steptronic paddles done too, but concerned about operational interference and functionality if its wrapped.

The pictures REALLY don't do the parts justice as they look really rough now, but are expected to come out comparable to this:

a friends Ferrari 360; wrapped intakes:

·
Registered
2005 230 Kompressor
341 Posts
Good luck. Wrapping in the real fabric takes some skill and plenty of patience. I have done it a few times as well, and the finished look cannot be beat, but it is more detail work than using DiNoc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck. Wrapping in the real fabric takes some skill and plenty of patience. I have done it a few times as well, and the finished look cannot be beat, but it is more detail work than using DiNoc.
Hey Mark;

Totally agree. Been wrapping now for a couple of years and have wrapped over 400 pieces todate. Actually, was trimming the parts last night but didn't get a chance to post updates. That radio control centre is a PITA to cut out all the holes. The coolest thing I tried was using a single piece of cloth to cover the 3 centre console pieces and then making sure to cut along the correct line so they separated @ the joints. Still need to start speedo cluster surround (looks like a shark mouth..)... and he really wants paddle shifters done to; but real concerned in regards to those paddles as they are integrated with switch unit.

·
Registered
2005 230 Kompressor
341 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about the center piece with all those small holes. Bet that was fun. What did you use? Trying to wrap the real thing is way more art and work than people realize.

Looks very nice from the pix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was wondering about the center piece with all those small holes. Bet that was fun. What did you use? Trying to wrap the real thing is way more art and work than people realize.

Looks very nice from the pix.
ya, i really didn't want to do that center piece because of all the small holes. I'm using a knife to trim the holes. Been considering a drill of the exact size of opening to ensure they're completely clean, but concerned about a slip that would render part useless.

Likely just a knife and then sand paper rolled into tube to finish. Not really sure; only thing I'm certain of is I didn't charge him enough for all the small meticulous work to prep and wrap that part. Hopefully, make it up on other simpler pieces. LOL

·
Registered
2005 230 Kompressor
341 Posts
My concern with a drill bit is that if it hooked a stray thread it might compromise the entire piece. For the small stuff I have had luck with an Exacto as well as a fine ceramic carving and trimming knife. Just need to go slow and keep the fabric as tight as possible for a clean cut. Please post pix when completed. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My point exactly!! actually will try a small exacto. fabric is not an issue as it's glued and secured in place; it's just the cloth and resin to cut through. found the perfect blade size for CF, but it maybe too wide to effectively cut those holes although I've cut the CD opening, small rectangular opening @ bottom of piece and the IR detector holes so far. To open small holes pushed a scissor blade up through holes and once it cut through, spun it around a few times and its hollowing them out nicely!!!! Be glad to get this piece done. The rest are easy to cut!!!

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
wow looks great! :D how's it coming? any update pics?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished trimming centre console sections.... think they came out pretty nice so far. need to be sanded and 3-4 more coats of resin before they're ready to be clear coated, so disregard finish @ this stage...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First Pics: Parts are all trimmed

Hey;

Finally got the parts trimmed. Still need to wrap the outside vents and gauge surround which are being done after I post. Here are the pictures:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Parts Update!! Set is clear coated and finished!

Finally got these parts finished. Had some family issues that took me away from the wrapping for about a week, but parts are now finished and just need to re-assembled and final trim (removal of last excess resin, etc.) and they're shipping.

Here are the pictures:

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
uhh..oh my god.. that's gorgeous!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They really finished out nice. You get the depth of the real CF as opposed to Di-Noc. Very nice work. Total time invested so far?
Thanks! My thoughts exactly!!

Total time about 25 hours to complete, but this is for a buddy who'se giving me $$$ for doing it, so time is not an issue here...... LOL

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
WOW They look amazing!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! Buffing and polishing today. Guy's coming by tonight to pick up parts!. Will post finished pictures once fully buffed, polished and re-assembled!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts