Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Turbo Kompressor (310HP and 325ft.lbs of torque)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 C230 Kompressor Coupe. Custom Upgrades: Intercooler by ARE of Australia, Full 3” Stainless Exhaust w/ twin Borla Mufflers, Stainless Equal Length Header w/ Jet Coating, Intercooler Piping w/ powder coating, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo w/ Polished Housing, Throttle Body w/supplemental Injection, Microtech electronic fuel Management System, H&R Springs, Rojah Forged Spun 18” Racing Wheels, Pirelli PZero NeroTires, Rally styled Hood, HKS Electronic Boost Controller, HKS Blowff, Battery Disconnect. These upgrades yield 310HP and 325ft.lbs of torque. The car has not run for over 6 months, awaiting turbo oil feed hose replacement. I made the repairs and attempted to jump the vehicle. However, the car will not turn over, but all lights and equip appear to be functioning normally. I have 2 faults that I always have. I have check most of the fuses and solenoids. Any ideas?

Checked for lose connections and charged battery jump pack all night...connected battery pack and let sit for 15 mins...car started...

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
I have a 2002 C230 Kompressor Coupe. Custom Upgrades: Intercooler by ARE of Australia, Full 3” Stainless Exhaust w/ twin Borla Mufflers, Stainless Equal Length Header w/ Jet Coating, Intercooler Piping w/ powder coating, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo w/ Polished Housing, Throttle Body w/supplemental Injection, Microtech electronic fuel Management System, H&R Springs, Rojah Forged Spun 18” Racing Wheels, Pirelli PZero NeroTires, Rally styled Hood, HKS Electronic Boost Controller, HKS Blowff, Battery Disconnect. These upgrades yield 310HP and 325ft.lbs of torque. The car has not run for over 6 months, awaiting turbo oil feed hose replacement. I made the repairs and attempted to jump the vehicle. However, the car will not turn over, but all lights and equip appear to be functioning normally. I have 2 faults that I always have. I have check most of the fuses and solenoids. Any ideas?

Checked for lose connections and charged battery jump pack all night...connected battery pack and let sit for 15 mins...car started...
If you allow your car to remain weeks or months without running it, I'd heavily recommend a Trickle Charger or a Solar Charger.
I went overseas to Africa for 6 months, came back and in 3-seconds my car started on the first try!
Also; if you can find equivalent of Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer install that too
And remember that you may also have Fuel Vapor Lock
Vent it by putting a stick or larger screw driver in the Fuel Vent Door to let the
Vapors off-gas.

MB cars use electricity 24 hours a day.
Which is why you need a Trickle Charger.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
Pics?
Is this the Speedwerx project car from way back, reborn?
Please post some pics.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Turbo Kompressor (310HP and 325ft.lbs of torque)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pics?
Is this the Speedwerx project car from way back, reborn?
Please post some pics.
Yes it is...Tried the "old" forum and its not around. I moved to Costa Rica and brought it with me.
In the US, this vehicle was “the shizzle!” However, Speedwerx left some residual problems:
1. There is a small ground somewhere in the vehicle, drawing about 25 to 50 ma, even after all the processes shutdown. I have spent $$$$ on trouble shooting and no one can find it. It causes the battery to drain, if the vehicle sits for more than 2-3 days.:confused:
2. The fiberglass insulation wrapped around the headers is beginning to break down.
3. Due to the adverse road conditions (potholes and road structure) in Costa Rica, it is not "CR friendly." The HR springs lowered the vehicle quite a bit from the OEM height.
4. The AC is blowing out hot air, probably needs recharging.
5. The turbo oil feed hose broke down, after a Costa Rican removed the pad from around the turbo.:eek: I had to drive the car home with it massively smoking. The replacement of this hose was difficult for me. No one here, in CR, can work on a car like this. The hose connected from a modified fitting under and between the headers, welded to the engine block. The original hose was a 4AN steel braided hose, cover by an oil soaked rubber hose. The hose I ordered was a 3AN steel braided hose, which came with 1/8" fittings and not 1/4" fittings. I paid $35 for 2 specialty connectors from a racing shop in Orlando.
6. The vehicle tax in CR is 50% of vehicle worth. To drive a vehicle here in CR, it must be either have tourist plates, which only last 6 mos, or be registered in CR. This would cost me $7,500 to obtain a CR license plate!:eek:
I just fixed the hose and various other little items on the vehicle and it wouldn’t turn over
I finally got it running. I have 2 options, wait for me to go back to the US or sell it here:surrender:

Pics:

Engine view from left side:

Engine view from right side(note the red rubeer hose, covering the turbo oil feed hose):

These pics were all taken by Speedwerx. I changed the grille to 2005 C230 grille...one with holes in front.

Immediately after purchasing this vehicle from Speedwerx, I discovered all these problems in the vehicle. Driving home from the purchase, the turbo hose came off. The car emits a burning smell, which is “insulation burn-in,” according to Speedwerx, and “…eventually it will go away.” To no surprise, the smell remains, after 3 years. The rear differential went out and I put a lower differential in. The electrical ground condition became worse. Speedwerx knew of the electrical ground problem and burning smell. After the read dif went out, Speedwerx claimed he would pay for half of the differential and half the ground troubleshooting problems. When I asked for payment, he stopped answering my calls and emails. When I dyno'd the vehicle, it snapped several of the Rojah wheel lugs nuts. I had to buy Mercedes wheel lugs nuts. Turns out, theres a slight lug nut hole misalignment as the bolt pattern is not exact. BTW, car dyno'd at 307HP.

Main problem I have with this vehicle is the tie wraps, modified rubber hoses and “monkey-work” Speedwerx did to this vehicle. The more work I have to do on this vehicle, the more "surprises" I find. I am extremely concern with the header insulation decay, as it will eventually overheat surrounding materials and components. I welcome any TV car show or MB Xtreme to take this vehicle and make it right. There’s not a lot of work left to be done, but there is some work left to bring this car to its true potential. Speedwerx must have run out of money:surrender:

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
Have you been over to MBWorld lately??
Someone in the W203 forum resurrected Speedwerx's thread just recently and you've been the topic of some conversation.

Ha, people wondering, what happened to this car!?

Yeh, MBKlasse is dead and gone. A huge waste of time, all the DIY's and great info just tossed in the trash by the owner.

It seems to me, you'd have a better chance of getting it all sorted out back in the states, then paying $7500 to get it registered there, yikes!

I am quite certain that there are shops in So Cal that could properly sort this thing out.
Finding the offending circuit thats sucking the voltage shouldn't be that hard.

You should be able to find a voltage or current drop putting a volt meter in series with the fuse...rig up a fuse that has the leads attached.

Seat modules are notorious, as you likely already know.
Glad I have manual seats. Not something I felt like paying extra for, and then
all the problems with motors and such in the long run...

Fiberglass on the header? Huh?
Not a ceramic coating?

Got any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times?
Is that a manual or automatic?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts